Working Moms
Options

Choosing Sitter, wwyd?

I have been looking for a sitter for just one day a week for my two kids who are 1 and 3.  I am torn between two of the candidates and would love to get some input.  The first would bring her 2 year old daughter with to my house which would create some obvious conflicts such as potential different nap times, and it would be too challenging or maybe impossible for her to help drive my daughter to her school and classes.  Plus, I'm concerned that she won't be able to be 100% focused on my kids. However, I also think both of my kids would enjoy having another kid to play with.  She is only looking for part time work, which would fit our needs since we only need someone 1 day a week.  Plus she is $4 to $5 cheaper an hour than the other candidate.

The other candidate was absolutely great with my kids.  She was very nurturing and would be able to give my kids 100% of her attention.  She would be able to drive my daughter to her classes and school.  My gut tells me she is the better candidate; however, she wants full time work and is continuing to look for more hours.  I'm hoping she will end up finding another part time job that works with our schedule; however, if she doesn't, then there would be a good possibility that she will end up quitting us for more work.  

What would you do in this situation?  

Re: Choosing Sitter, wwyd?

• Options
    I agree that #2 sounds better but there is a really high chance she won't be with you for long. Rather than worry about that and put your kids through a transition I would pick the first one or keep looking for a bit.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    and it would be too challenging or maybe impossible for her to help drive my daughter to her school and classes. 
    I'd ask her about this first.  You're making assumptions. 

And naps?  Ask when her DD naps and determine if it's the same or different than your kids. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jlaOKjlaOK member
    I'd go with number 1 assuming you can get the transportation figured out.  A lot of vehicles can't fit 3 car seats, which would be an automatic deal breaker.

I'd also arrange another meeting with your kids and her kid to make sure they get along well (I think you'll be pleasantly surprised).

The nap thing doesn't bother me a bit.  Seems like you all could find an easy solution.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I agree you should go with #1 assuming she can fit 3 car seats. I wouldn't worry about naps. Most kids 1-3 all nap after lunch. It's harder when there's a baby in the mix b/c of morning naps.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"