September 2013 Moms
Options

Swimming lessons - how do you manage?

I haven't really thought this through before registering but now that I'm thinking about it... How do you get changed after the swim with LO? I no longer have the infant car seat so it's not a matter of plopping her in and doing my thing.

It would also be just her & I, so no one to help hold her etc. Do you just plop them on the floor on a towel? (Public floor in a pool area really scares me) and I've never been to this pool before so I have no idea how the changing room is set up. Not even sure how baby friendly it will be.

Any tips or tricks that you found helpful?

Re: Swimming lessons - how do you manage?

• Options
    Could you bring LOL in a stroller. Get baby changed first and then you could use that as a seat for LO while you get changed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I bring the stroller in when no one can come along. I rinse off and dress DD, then rinse off myself and get dressed. The floor scares because because it is obviously a locker room floor, but I also would trust that she wouldn't topple over and bump her head.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I suppose I didn't think of the stroller! That's probably my best option, thanks!!
  • Options
    Good post. We're starting swim lessons in May and I hadn't thought about this.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I take our keyfit caddy in, and they let you park it in the pool area at our pool. I drive there with my suit on, then change LO when we get there. Afterwards, we both rinse off and I lay her on a towel on the bench to change her, then put her in the car seat/kaddy while I get dressed.

I highly recommend wearing/bringing a skirt or dress and flip flops to change into, even if it's cold. WAY easier than trying to get into jeans and tennis shoes, for many reasons.

• Options
    Definitely had to google what that keyfit caddy is and I'm amazed at how convenient that looks! Mind you we don't have an infant seat anymore but my stroller is the worst stroller in the history of strollers so I don't know if it will be easier to leave it at home and use a bench or if I should just man up and lug it with us. Maybe I'll stop at the store quick and grab a cheap umbrella stroller.

Flip flops are also not something I thought about, good thinking! Thanks for some tips!
  • Options
    We just utilize benches and rinse off together then I get him warm dry and situated then throw wet stuff In a plastic bag and throw clothes over myself

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Can you check the facilities? Ours has locker rooms with private lockable shower stalls. After showering together I wrap a towel around each of us & use 1 of 3 diaper changing stations to dress her and then dress myself. Hopefully there's at least a locker room at the pool...
  • Options
    I'd get a cheapy stroller if you don't like your current one. You just need something to contain LO.

• Options
    I wear my swimsuit under my clothes to the pool. Our pool doesnt allow strollers into the locker room so I carry him in using the infant car seat. I slip off my clothes first then change him. Then I wrap him in a towel in his car seat. I carry him right to the pool in the seat. Ashe gets super cold after he comes out of the water so I use the towel to bundle him up. We only have one change table so if it's not free I use the bench but it's really narrow and my guy likes to roll. Sometimes I get changed first but I have to do it really fast because once he warms up he tries to roll out of the seat. If I can get him changed first I do up his straps so I have more time.

Bring extra towels to your first class in case they fall in a puddle. And I find using a sleeper for him after class is easiest because I dont have to mess with more than one item of clothing. Also put the swim diaper on right before class in case he poos on the drive over.

Good luck!
  • Options

I wear my swimsuit under my clothes to the pool. Our pool doesnt allow strollers into the locker room so I carry him in using the infant car seat. I slip off my clothes first then change him. Then I wrap him in a towel in his car seat. I carry him right to the pool in the seat. Ashe gets super cold after he comes out of the water so I use the towel to bundle him up. We only have one change table so if it's not free I use the bench but it's really narrow and my guy likes to roll. Sometimes I get changed first but I have to do it really fast because once he warms up he tries to roll out of the seat. If I can get him changed first I do up his straps so I have more time.

Bring extra towels to your first class in case they fall in a puddle. And I find using a sleeper for him after class is easiest because I dont have to mess with more than one item of clothing. Also put the swim diaper on right before class in case he poos on the drive over.

Good luck!

I was gonna ask about getting the swim diaper on for the drive. Makes sense to wait until we get there, thanks for the tips!! Extra towels & a sleeper, check! I'm glad I asked this question.

• Options
    Got a sleeper packed! I'm actually so nervous for tomorrow morning.. Yay for anxiety making simple things like a swim class seem like a crazy mission in my mind.

Does anyone know how the swim diapers fit? I didn't even get the chance to buy any so I have to stop in the morning and would hate to get a size that doesn't fit. We use size 3 regular diapers so I'm hoping size 3 swim diapers are true to size?
  • Options
    I bought the pampers little swimmers. They 3/4. They fit fine. DS just started wearing a 4 in swaddlers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"