October 2014 Moms
Options

Help guessing size for a bridesmaid dress

I have to order a bridesmaid dress now to wear August. 2nd. The problem is I have to estimate how many inches my stomach will grow in the next 14 weeks. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant. Any thoughts? I'd rather guess bigger than smaller but still have no clue.

Re: Help guessing size for a bridesmaid dress

• Options
    I was in a wedding last year two months before my due date and I normally would have been a size 4 in that dress and I got a size 10 to fit my stomach and it ended up working. I think it depends on the style of dress though. The lady at the store helped me pick out the size. I had to take it in on the top, but the stomach part fit perfectly.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was in a wedding at 26 weeks and we had already ordered the dresses when I found out. Luckily I was in between sizes so they had me order up. The dress was nice and flowy but since I really only went up a size, I did have to have it taken out slightly, which is more expensive than having it taken in. I'd suggest going up at least two sizes based on my experience. I think the bridal shop would be really helpful since you haven't ordered yet. GL!
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Here is the link to the specific dress https://www.topwedding.com/chiffon-empire-maternity-dress-with-embroidered-bodice-lfmd1207.html.

I am ordering two sizes up but they have emailed me to ask how many inches around my stomach will be. When I asked for help estimating they basically said its up to you. At 13 weeks my stomach at my widest is 41" around belly button. But I need to guess what that measurement will be in 14 weeks.
  • Options
    That's almost impossible to guess! I would go up 2-3 sizes then alter.
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Options
    I have a wedding the weekend after.......... I ordered 2 sizes up to be safe.  GL! 
  • Options
    duckrduckr member
    edited April 2014
    I am in a wedding next month. I tried on the dress and was measured before I was pregnant. I ordered a size that was a tiny bit too tight thinking I'd lose 5 pounds...any way, I've put on 10 pounds since then and have made 3 additional trips for fittings. The bust will not fit and my bump is getting larger so they ended up making the back of the dress a lace up. Makes me feel a bit better that I don't have to squeeze into the dress and feel like a stuffed sausage.

Edited: for bad memory

• Options
    Last pregnancy, I was in my sister's wedding @ 28 weeks.  I ordered two sizes larger than normal and had it altered.  The style was very forgiving (flowy, empire waist) so I probably could have gotten away with one size up but it didn't make a difference once the alterations were done.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Options
    Sometimes at maternity clothing stores (like Motherhood), they have those pretend bellies to help you be able to buy clothes for later in your pregnancy - maybe you could try measuring with one of those?

I'm surprised that the dress shop was so unhelpful.

That dress is really pretty!  It's a maternity dress, so it seems like you shouldn't really have to order a bigger size, should you?  I know for maternity clothes I've bought in the past, I just get my own size, but since it's a maternity piece, it is designed to fit over the belly.  But I guess if the dress shop needs measurements, it's different than just buying off the rack.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Options
    I used to manage a bridal store. Just order 2-3 sizes larger than what you are currently measuring for that company. We would measure bust and hips, choose size from size chart for specific company, and then order accordingly (2-3 sizes larger). Whoever is asking for specific measurements has no earthly idea what they are doing. Just remember it is always much, much easier to take in as opposed to take out. Most bridesmaids dresses do have 1-2" though on each side just in case you do need to take it out.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ugh I am in the same predicament. The wedding I am in isn't until august 16th and I don't know what size dress to order either! I feel your pain!!
  • Options

I agree with PP, that is a beautiful maternity dress, I'd probably order a size or two up just to be safe, but I am no good help. 

I have a wedding mid July, usually a size 6 in bridal dresses, they made me order a 12! At least your bride was willing to work with you on the dress! Mine is making me wear this SHORT teeny-bopper style halter dress.  It's going to look HORRIBLE!!   :))

• Options
    @lindzoid- Read my response above and hopefully that will help you out.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    youngin12 said:

@lindzoid- Read my response above and hopefully that will help you out.

Thank you!! Lucky for me the dress is very forgiving! Empire and flows. Phew!!
  • Options
    Im in a wedding Sept 27th-- 36 weeks pregnant! ! The dress is very forgiving around the middle but its my chest im worried about.. when we tried the dresses on in Jan I was spilling out of my normal dress size so I can only imagine what 9 month preggo boobs will be like!! Good luck!!
  • Options
    The waist line is just like the one I had. It'll be perfect for a baby belly!

And how in the world do they expect you to estimate the actual inches of your belly? That's crazy!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for helping. I thought it was impossible to know how many inches.
  • Options
    enitsirkzenitsirkz member
    edited April 2014
    You know what you *could* try, though it won't be super accurate? Go to motherhood maternity. Bring a tape measure. They have little bump pillows you can use that are supposed to help you get an idea of what you will look like at about 7 months pregnant. If you don't have too much of a bump already I'd throw the pillow on and measure all the way around. Even if you do it might work out to do that and not deduct anything- better to have it bigger than smaller :)

Maybe call first to make sure the one by you has the pillow thing to estimate size :p
  • Options
    I am also in a wedding in mid-July and I will be almost 30 weeks. My 2-sizes larger dress is in....so I have to go try it on and of course get it altered. 

My question is...how do I know how much to alter it? How long does it take to get the adjustments? I don't want to go in May for the alterations when I could be much bigger in June. Should I wait until June? (Sorry, more than one question)

I have a similar dress to OP, floor length empire waist and it is all chiffon....very forgiving in my opinion!! :)

imageimage
  • Options
    My sister in law told me last night I need to pick a dress in a specific red color, but I can choose the style. Her wedding is May 31st, and I'll be 21 weeks. I feel your pain...I have no idea what size to order. Hopefully the bridal store in my town can help me out.... and hopefully they can rush a dress seeing she just decided on this wedding date last week!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kbsatre said:

I am also in a wedding in mid-July and I will be almost 30 weeks. My 2-sizes larger dress is in....so I have to go try it on and of course get it altered. 

My question is...how do I know how much to alter it? How long does it take to get the adjustments? I don't want to go in May for the alterations when I could be much bigger in June. Should I wait until June? (Sorry, more than one question)

I have a similar dress to OP, floor length empire waist and it is all chiffon....very forgiving in my opinion!! :)
    My seamstress did the alterations the week of the wedding. If I remember correctly it was a fitting on Monday, then a refit on Thursday and then I picked up on Friday for a Saturday wedding. I don't see how you could do it a month or so in advance.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kbsatre said:

It's up to the seamstress to figure out how much to alter it. Most alterations can be done in less than a week. I would recommend using the seamstress that has a relation with the store. Once the dress has arrived, go ahead and call the seamstress to set up your initial appointment and let her know the situation. All professional seamstresses that I have worked with in the past have been very accommodating to maternity dresses.

• Options
    annejulie26annejulie26 member
    edited April 2014
    @enitsirkz‌ I will go to the maternity store and measure with the bump. At least that will give me some idea. @SusieBW‌ I went off the measurement chart on the website and although its a maternity dress the measurements seem to reflect "normal" size dress.
    @kbsatre‌ I'm waiting to alter the week of but I booked that appointment now and explained why.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"