Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

dairy and fluid in ears

Confusion.... No ear infection but fluid remains. ENT said come back in 2 months. Help!!! Trying to avoid tubes. Someone suggested removing dairy from her diet. If I switch to almond milk and drop yogurt, cheese etc.... will she lose important nutrients that she's been getting from her organic whole milk/dairy products? Will she have an issue when she returns to dairy? Any other natural approaches/advice welcomed. Thanks.

Re: dairy and fluid in ears

• Options

I'm confused as well.  Did you read somewhere that there is connection between dairy and fluid buildup in ears?  I'm not sure what it could possibly be.  Has your ENT explained to you why there is fluid in your LOs ears? 

My DS had his first ear infection at 4 mos and had constant fluid and 3 more infections before he got tubes at 11 mos.  It was explained to me that the shape of his ear was preventing fluid from draining properly and causing fluid to backup in his ear.  That backup was causing constant pressure and discomfort for DS and muffled sound.  It's like they are always under water.  After hearing that description I was ready to get him help.  Is there a reason you are trying to avoid tubes?  They have been great for DS (no infections since they were put in 8 mos ago). 

I honestly do not know of any correlation between eating dairy and having fluid in your ears but if you remove dairy from your LOs diet you will have to replace those nutrients she is getting from cheese and yogurt with other sources.  Good luck. 

• Options
    When you do search on line lots of info. Comes up on the link between dairy and ear infections. I really dont feel comfortable with her getting put under for surgery but if it has to get done it will.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    michant said:
    When you do search on line lots of info. Comes up on the link between dairy and ear infections. I really dont feel comfortable with her getting put under for surgery but if it has to get done it will.

Like by actual reputable sites?  Have you seen any medical studies that have been done?  I'm not trying to be snarky I just have never heard of this and I spent a lot of time looking for ways to help my son last year. 

Obviously, I was not keen on putting my son under either but it really wasn't a big deal at all.  I held him while they put him under and then we went to the waiting room and they called our names like 10 mins later.  We were away from him maybe 30 mins.  I nursed him when he woke up (he was pretty fussy) but he was back to his normal self by the time we got home.  I would do it again tomorrow without any hesitation.  Hope you are able to find your answers!

• Options
    michantmichant member
    edited April 2014
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/527801-milk-allergies-and-ear-infections-in-infants/  and thank you for letting me know what to expect should she get the tubes. 
  • Options
    I had not heard of dairy and ear infections I do know it tends to thicken mucus so when my son was going through the colds and such that were so bad this year we gave him coconut milk to drink and coconut/soy/almond/etc. non-dairy options for yogurt and cheese and combined with a humidifier it seemed to make him a lot more comfortable. He loves his yogurt and cheese though and was happy to switch back to those (we kept the coconut milk since Trader Jo's makes it so easy with their inexpensive,(until opened) shelf stable, tasty coconut milk.
  • Options
    i ended up taking my kiddo off of cow's milk after a really bad recurrence of reflux- like up screaming every 45 minutes at night, back arching, begging for water, etc.  we still allow him yogurt and cheese (only 1 serving of either yogurt OR cheese each day though).  after making the switch to coconut milk, his reflux cleared, and he hasn't had a single ear infection, nor has he had a single drop of drainage from either ear.  he had tubes in at 8 months because he had so many infections, and even after the tubes he got at least 1 infection a month.  he even needed to have 1 of his tubes replaced because it got clogged with crust from all the crap in his ears. i have no idea if the reduction of dairy made a difference in his ears, but it wouldn't surprise me if the two were related.  just food for thought.
    DSCN9655

in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God, in Christ Jesus, for you
    1 thessalonians 5:18
  • Options
    Thank you for your input
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"