Help with sippy cup — The Bump
Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Help with sippy cup

My daughter is ten months and is mostly on finger foods now, but she has thus far absolutely refused to take a sippy cup. We have tried two different kinds of juices, formula, and breast milk in the cup. She pushes it away and turns her head no matter what is in it. I have also tried giving her liquids in a regular cup. She doesn't like that either. 

Does anyone have any tips for how best to introduce and acclimate a baby to a sippy? Also, what do you most often put in it during the day? Does your baby usually drink juice or water out of it? I haven't introduced my daughter to water yet, but maybe I should try that next. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Me: 33 | DH: 33
Married: September 2012
DD #1: Prudence (June 2013)
TTC #2: August 2015

Re: Help with sippy cup

• My baby only drinks water in his sippy so far. Sometimes you have to try several kinds to find one they like or can use effectively. We have a silicone spout Nuby/Gerber cup with handles, and a couple regular hard spout sippies that are the same brand, but taller and without handles. Some kids prefer a straw cup. Just keep offering and showing how to use it.
  • DD is also 10 months, and I just give her the cup with water to play with in her high chair.  She'll get used to it on her own.  She always refused a bottle and LOVES the boob, so I imagine she won't take to the sippy until she starts weaning.  If I put some diluted juice in the cup and hold it up for her she'll drink some, but mostly she just plays with it and gets water everywhere.  They're babies, they gotta figure it out on their own time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I give her water, BM, and fresh juice in her sippy.  We are almost 11 months and completely off the bottle.  She still BFs morning and night and weekends, but at school she uses the sippy cup.  We just started at about 9 months and she jumped right in.  We use the silicone ones from munchkin.  She will get it when she is ready.

• My baby only drinks water in his sippy so far. Sometimes you have to try several kinds to find one they like or can use effectively. We have a silicone spout Nuby/Gerber cup with handles, and a couple regular hard spout sippies that are the same brand, but taller and without handles. Some kids prefer a straw cup. Just keep offering and showing how to use it.
    This is what we did, too. We use the Nuby cups, which seem to be similar to bottle nipples on the top. I would set it in front of DD and eventually, she would grab for it. 
  • My son took awhile to get the concept of the sippy cup. We had to help him take a drink and then one day he started holding it himself. He only has water and maybe once a week a little juice. He has his sippy cup with every meal. He hated any sippy cups that had a soft spout. He only likes the hard plastic spout. They said 12+ months on the package but they work great for him. Just keep at it and eventually it will click. My son loves it when we pretend drink out of his cup so maybe if she sees you doing it, it will spark her interest more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards