3rd Trimester

Kick counting - is it nessecary?

I am 33 weeks and I feel my baby move throughout the day, sometime there are lulls for an hour or two but pretty much I feel him move all day long. Do I need to be counting kicks? Is there a point in "kick counting" other than to know the baby is there and moving?

Re: Kick counting - is it nessecary?

• I only do it because I'm high risk. If that wasn't the case, I'd just do it if I noticed a change in patterns or decrease.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I've only been instructed to do it if I don't notice LO moving around normally and become concerned. It would make me more stressed to worry about some set number of kicks in a set time every day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never been instructed to do kick counts with either of my pregnancies.
  • I've never been told to do kick counts at all with either one of my pregnancies. My OB will just ask me of I feel LO move around regularly, I say yes, and we go on with the rest of the appt. Kick counts are mainly for if and when you go a few hours without feeling anything.
  • I was just told yesterday to do kick count. 10 kicks in two hours. If not to call. My little one is not very active but I will start counting.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• This.
    I've never been instructed to do kick counts with either of my pregnancies.

Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I've never counted. I've found it pretty easy to learn the baby's patterns well enough that I know if there's a big decrease in movement.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I haven't been asked to do a formal count, was told the 10 movements per 2 hours rule as well. I do the kick counts because there are days when I'm just up and about so often, that there's no quiet time to just focus on LO. 

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • My MW said that I don't need to do kick counts if baby is moving normally. She did say, however, that if you've had a busy day and haven't been paying a lot of attention to kicks/movement, then I should eat somethign with a little sugar, lie down on my left and count kicks (should get 10 in one hour).

• My doc has never brought up the kick count but I've read about it so I am always aware if Little Dude is quiet. 

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• I only do it if I notice less movement than usual.  He's a pretty active little guy so if he has a lazy day I get worried, but I still always get 10 kicks in 2 hours (usually way less time) when I do count.
    image          image

• My OB has never told me to do kick counts. She only says that if I notice a decrease in movement to let her know. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Emery Elizabeth
    Due Date: June 5, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• PinkKEL9 said:
    My OB has never told me to do kick counts. She only says that if I notice a decrease in movement to let her know. 
    Same. I never do kick counts, but she pretty much moves throughout the whole day. Once she was quiet for several hours (5-6 hours), and when I realized it I freaked out. Doctor sent me to the hospital, and everything was fine - still can't explain why she was so quiet for so long!

• Never was told to do kick counts. I just am aware of when I felt her last and when I usually feel her move.

DD #1 5.4.14  
    EDD #2 5.4.17

• AmberxoAmberxo member
    I freaked out over this because so many women do it but I'm 30 weeks now and my midwife has never mentioned it she says if I feel his movements have changed or not as much to lie down in a quiet area and focus on him xx
  • I went to my antenatal appointment yesterday and was asked if I'd felt kicks, I said I had but not as many as usual this last few days, so i had to be sent up to the labour ward to be monitered.
    No one had ever mentioned counting kicks before but I was told if I don't feel him by the end of the day, or he's not as active as usual then I need to go in again that night to have him monitered again.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • LUCKY22LUCKY22 member
    I've never been instructed to do them. DS is so active - Dr. just said to pay attention to any unusually low activity.

• Never needed to do kick counts, but my baby is crazy hyper.  10 kicks every 2 hours?  More like 10 kicks every 2 minutes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"