C-sections

Nursing after c/s and general "what to expects"?

I'm pregnant with my second. First was delivered vaginally with extreme difficulty due to shoulder dystocia, so she was vacuumed but with no neurologic defects (perfectly normal ;) so my OB is strongly suggesting a c/s this time around for baby's benefit. How is nursing the first few days afterwards since mobility is restricted? It will for sure be a much different experience than my daughter's birth, but I'm trying to gauge the changes. I've also had extensive abdominal surgeries as a child, so the c/s wasn't exactly an easy choice due to possible scar tissue adhesions, so I will have to have 2 doctors in the operating room. I'm a little nervous but just wondering what some common expectations could be?

Re: Nursing after c/s and general "what to expects"?

• I put a pillow under my arm that would be supporting his head and one on my belly because I was in a lot of pain. I always had somebody hand him to me if he wasn't already in bed with me because I was uncomfortable getting up and down holding him.

I don't think anything differed except for the incision. I did have to supplement with formula to get rid of his jaundice and I ended up with a fever if 102 due to infection so I was shaky and unable to hold him to feed. Use pillows and take the pain meds.

The first time I stood up I almost passed out so make sure someone is with you. Take a shower as soon as they will let you. The water felt amazing on my incision. Don't push yourself too hard.

Good luck!!
  • edited April 2014
    I'm tryig to remember if it felt weird and nothig comes to mind really. My hospital bed could raise/lower the head part with a click of a button so that how I got to sitting position, then someone always handed her to me and we had piles of pillows and a nursing pillow to position her. Once we were home I just used the boppy like most people.
  • Loading the player...
  • The only thing that I struggled with this time was nursing right after the c/s in recovery. My spinal had "migrated" so my arms were a little numb and basically I had this weird sensation that I was sitting on a bouncy ball which made it hard to hold her! DH had to help until I got her latched on a propped on a pillow then we were good. After that, I just used the boppy and propped myself up with lots of pillows. No biggie.

• I nursed for about 5 weeks PP and besides the fact he couldn't gain weight on my milk, it was okay. I loved it, it made me feel whole. However, middle of the night feeding suck after major surgery. Getting out of the bed was difficult sometimes. I had to have my husband push me up sometimes. I only let my lo sleep in our room the first night he was home, then he was in his crib. I've heard it's easier after a cs if your lo is already in the room with you. I chose not to because I wanted him used to his crib.
  • My second DD was a c-section due to her being breech. Like PP said, have someone hand LO to you. I couldn't reach in and take DD out of her bassinet so a nurse was always there to help me.

As far as nursing goes, I didn't notice any difference because of the C-Section other than needing extra pillows for support near my mid-section.
    My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • I've nursed after 2 c-sections.  For the first, I used lots of pillows, had someone hand me LO, and used the football hold, as it was most comfortable.  Second time, I had no issues, didn't need a ton of pillows and used the cross cradle hold right away.  Other than the first week or so home, when I needed help getting up to a sitting position at night, I didn't have any real trouble!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I nursed right after all 3 c/s. Nurses are helpful getting baby to you if need be. Pillows around help to keep pressure off incision.
    The one thing that no one forewarned me about the was pain when the uterus contracted while nursing the first few days. It lightened as things healed.
    Definitely walk when you can but take it easy on lifting things. I over did it with the last one.
    Our hospital brings the baby to you while in the recovery room after c/s about 40 mins after birth. I remember still feeling drugged up and still numb lower body and hesitant because i was scared I would drop her but everyone is helpful.
    Depending on how early from your due date you have the c/s it's possible it will take time for milk to come in but the colostrum is still there so nurse anyway.
    Married my best friend on 5/14/05
    Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
    One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
    And another Princess coming 7/16
  • Thanks everyone for the great info!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"