Preemies
Options

Talk to me about EI

I know needing EI is common with preemies, and I know we've got some moms with experinence here.

DS was born at 32w in early January, he's 15w/7w right now. He will be having surgery next week and will be in a spica cast for a month. I worry about his physical development, since he's already "behind" from being early and now he'll be even more behind.

Who do I talk to about this? Our pedi? His surgeon? Is it something that we have to wait until his development starts to fall behind, or can we get involved early?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Talk to me about EI

• Options
    Depending on the state your live in EI can be at your own choosing. Example: LO does not qualify for EI based on their standards but we live in NY and NYS EI program will evaluate/reevaluate if a parent sees neccessary. So we wouldn't have to go back thru LOs pedi.
    Call your NICU you were in and they should direct you to the EI program in your area.
  • Options
    Yes, the NICU, the surgeon/hospital, and your pedi can all connect you.  Even if someone does not recommend it, you can contact them directly yourself.  However, I think your surgeon/hospital might recommend physical therapy or something related to the surgery, which would be where I'd start.   I'm not sure, but I don't think EI staff will want to evaluate if he is still recovering.  I would definitely consult the resources you have as contacts and if you're not satisfied, you could call EI and ask about your particular situation.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were recommended through our developmental neonatologist, but I'm pretty sure you can self-refer. My first step would be to see your pedi, or surgeon to see what they say about it. Since they will have experience with infants recovering from this particular surgery, they might be able to give you a better idea of what to expect. You can ask for an evaluation at any time, but he won't qualify for services unless he is actually delayed in some area. If you still have concerns, there's no harm in having an evaluation done. Good luck!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    @CurlingRocks‌ thanks so much for the info!
    He's having the surgery Monday and is nearly 4m actual/2m adjusted. He's about 10lb. All the activities (other than wearing him) seem to be for older babies :/ the chair seems to be too, he's not even rolling over yet! I've found this with a lot of my spica research, I am starting to think it's not common at all to have a spica on such a young baby.
    I haven't spoken to the surgeon about PT afterwards- honestly I was more focused on the surgery and recovery period- but if they don't bring it up, I will. He'll only be in the spica for a month, following surgery. He doesn't have hip dysplasia, he has bladder exstrophy and in order to get the bladder where it belongs they have to break/unhinge his pelvis.
    Again, think you so much for the info! I will be sure to check out that community :)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"