August 2014 Moms
Options

Rh Incompatibility and RhoGAM?

So, I was told at today's appointment that I'm Rh negative and therefore need a RhoGAM shot after 28 weeks.  

Has anyone else had this happen (this pregnancy or previous?)??  The nurse said it's not uncommon, but she didn't necessarily say it's common, either.  I had heard about Rh incompatibility in the past, but didn't really do any reading/research until tonight.  It seems like a logical next step (although, the logistics come from me reading on the internet, not my doctor, so, I could be way off) is actually to test the father's blood, because if he is also Rh negative, the baby does not have a chance of being Rh positive and therefore his blood couldn't affect me or subsequent pregnancies.  

I guess I'll be calling my doctor in a few days for a recap of what he told me today...I wrote a lot down, but it also seemed like a lot to hear all at once (and because I had been anxious about the visit anyway, and I had just heard baby's healthy, strong heartbeat and was finally relaxing and NOT worrying for a change, I didn't comprehend as much as normal).

In the meantime...please share anything you know about this!  Maybe it's super common and I just am oblivious...THANKS!!  :-) 

Re: Rh Incompatibility and RhoGAM?

• Options
    PS - Is it bad I'll be sad when April is over and our dancing sigs go away...they all make me laugh every time!  
  • Options
    Yes, I am A- and got Rhogam. DD1 turned out to be A+.

I have to get it again with this one.

I did not really question it and just got the shot. I did read about it, because I was curious and it seemed like a no-brainer.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    absterbossabsterboss member
    edited April 2014
    I have had rhogam twice. I am O- and with my first two pregnancies (which ended in losses) I had spotting. They gave rhogam when it happened and after my surgeries to ensure safety. I will be getting it again next month at 28weeks and then also at delivery.

The baby is fine, but the issue is with us. If by chance the baby had +RH and their blood passes through the placenta we would be ok at first but recurrent incidences of it (next pregnancies) could cause issues for us as far as fertility. This is the wicked simple understanding I have of it from when I asked my OB about it. She of course gave a really scientific reason with diagram (pretty neat) but I can't remember that now. Ahha

The only thing I can tell you about Rhogam is that it's a shot in your butt and it HURTS. (At least it did for me all 4 times).

ETA: the 2 times I had it was actually 4 (the two pregnancies is what I meant).
  • Options
    Ditto everything said before. I am RH- and my husband is + blood type. I got the rhogam shot at 28 weeks and after my son was bor previously. My doctor will be doing blood work at my upcoming appointment and then it will get the rhogam shot at my 28 week appointment this time as well. Not a big deal in terms if things to be worried about!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the info, everyone!  I definitely wasn't stressing about it...and I trust my doctor completely and will get what shots he recommends (I search the internet for information, but not to make decisions on, just to try and understand more)...I just wanted to be sure I was understanding correctly.  I'm glad to hear from other moms who are Rh- and have had the shot.  (Though I'm NOT glad to hear it hurts!!!)  

So they will type the baby at birth and that will determine whether another shot for me is needed after delivery?    
  • Options
    I don't recall them typing my son at birth for that purpose. The doctor told me before he was born that I would be getting the shot after he was born. I do know they tested my husband during the first pregnancy to determine if I would need the shot. So it sounds like it depends on you doctor as to whether you get it for sure after or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm A- & my H is B+ so I'll need the shot too. Not uncommon at all - my sister needed it & I think my mom too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    They will type the baby just for the sake of knowing, but you may get the shot following birth anyways for the sake of the next babies who come. If your SO has positive blood, then any subsequent pregnancies where blood mixes could result in issues. So you should still get the second shot after birth anyways.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm A- so yes, big ol shot in the booty at 28 weeks and then after birth as well. It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MamaBovsMamaBovs member
    edited April 2014
    I am also A-. DD was tested at birth and she too is A- so I only needed the one shot at 28 weeks. There is no risk to a baby during a first pregnancy for an rH- mother. There is only a risk to subsequent pregnancies IF you don't get the rhogam shots. It is a very common thing and is why your blood is typed upon finding out you're pregnant. Of all the things to stress about during a pregnancy finding out you are rH- is not one of them.
    This exactly.  I'm O- and have had to get the shot with both prev. pregnancies and will get it at 28 weeks again with this one.  Really not a big deal at all.  When baby is born, they'll test it and if they need to you'll get another one then.

ETA: I also don't remember the shots being in my butt or it hurting that badly, but it's certainly possible I blocked that part from my memory :)
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think everyone has covered pretty much everything, but I just wanted to add something that I didn't see anyone mention.  It also comes in tablet form.  I don't have any take home babies yet, but I've had to take it twice.  (I'm 0- and DH is 0+)  Both times it was in the tablet form, and it didn't hurt one bit. :) 

Also, I've seen people on the bump stress about whether they should get it or not, and I think if a medical professional is offering it and you're rh- and dad is rh+ or unknown, definitely get it.  You don't want to get sensitized. 

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• Options
    The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is if you have any spotting or bleeding at any point during pregnancy you should also get the shot within 72 hours. I had a SCH and had a big bleed at 6 weeks and got my first shot then. Each shot is good for 12 weeks. I haven't had any additional bleeding after week 9 so I am now on the regular 28 weeks and after birth schedule. This probably isn't important this time around but good to know for future pregnancies.
  • Options
    I am neg, h is positive. I have had the shot with all 3 previous kids and no problems! Didn't hurt much.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    My mom had to have the shot with both of us bc she is - and my dad is +. We were both +.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am B- and DH is A+, I received a shot at 28 weeks with DS #1 and after his birth.  This pregnancy I'll get another shot at 28 weeks and one after DS #2 is born.  For both of the shots I have received so far it was in the upper booty (just under the panty line) and did not hurt at all.

When I tested Rh- my OB told me to have DH tested since we did not know his blood type.  DH's doctor told him to donate blood through the Red Cross since it would be free (not free at the doctor's and would not have been covered by insurance because there was no medical necessity to DH) and you get your blood type.  So if you want to get your DH typed and insurance won't cover, try donating through the Red Cross.  We received DH's blood type in plenty of time.
  • Options
    I have to get RhoGam as well. When my cousin was pregnant, the nurse told her a trick that makes it easier to handle. When they have you leaning on the bed or counter, stand with your knees together and toes pointed in. I guess that position rounds the muscles in a way that makes the injection a little easier to handle pain-wise. :) Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Options
    I had it when I had blessing early on and will again at 28 weeks and then depending on babies blood type at delivery. However it does hurt like a B. The stick wasn't bad but when they inject you its awful. I wasn't sore after wards though.
  • Options
    I don't remember thinking it hurt that bad. I just thought it was weird getting a shot in the butt.
  • Options
    I've had steroid shots in my foot for plantar fasciitis and they hurt pretty bad....so hopefully this one won't be bad (I'm such a wimp, though).  My sister made a good point...in a couple months, after BIRTHING A CHILD, this shot will seem like nothing...um, thanks sis.  <3  haha  

My husband gives blood often, so we know he is O+.  My doctor never asked what his blood type is, though.  I never knew my blood type until now (and I hope I'm reading it correctly on my online chart...it says Abo group - A, RH Type - RH (D) negative, which I'm assuming means I'm A- ??).  If I am A-, I've read that's a pretty rare blood type, so I should definitely start giving blood when I'm able!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"