August 2014 Moms
Options

MRI while pregnant? Anyone?

I have been having horrible headaches/migraines for the past three weeks.  My doctor prescribed some medication, and it takes the edge off, but they are still constant.

Today she told me that if the headaches continue and the medication isn't helping, the next step is to do an MRI to make sure something else isn't going on.  She said MRIs are generally considered safe in pregnancy, but obviously there are always risks, so it's totally my choice at this point.  

I am unsure what to do.  Anyone else had an MRI while pregnant?  Would you get one?  Should I just wait it out another 4 months and hope that nothing is seriously wrong in my head?  Ugh.  I am torn!

I've never had migraines before and never had a headache like this before.  It's all very new.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MRI while pregnant? Anyone?

• Options
    I'm assuming it wasn't your OB that you've been seeing about the headaches. Family doctor? Neurologist? Personally I wouldn't have an MRI done if prescribed by a general doctor / family practitioner. Have you consulted your OB about the headaches or about the MRI?
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    MRI's for headaches are generally inconclusive. Hardly ever see anything on them that are related to headache. I personally would not get an MRI whole pregnant. I would suggest seeing a chiropractor. Many times the headaches are brought on by something in the neck.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had at least six MRIs when I had my stroke. Obviously they had to figure out what was going on my head. I thought you would like a prospective. I hope you figure it out.
    Married June 2012
    DH: 31 Me: 30 dx PCOS 2001
    Surprise BFP 12/8/13 EDD 8/14/14
    Stroke: 3/15/14 dx expressive aphasia: had to relearn how to communicate
    Charlotte Joy Born 8/9/14

• Options
    I'm assuming it wasn't your OB that you've been seeing about the headaches. Family doctor? Neurologist? Personally I wouldn't have an MRI done if prescribed by a general doctor / family practitioner. Have you consulted your OB about the headaches or about the MRI?
    It was my OB who I have been seeing.  I had assumed they were pregnancy/horomone related.  She is the one who suggested the MRI.
  • Options
    mv9310 said:
    Have they tested you for pre-eclampsia? 

With DD that was one of my symptoms of pre-eclampsia. Nothing made the migraines go away and they lasted for days. I had high blood pressure, black spots in my vision, dizzy, and protein in my urine. 

On the MRI note I wouldn't risk it. 
    That was the first thing my OB checked me for.  My blood pressure is normal (about 120/70) right now.  
  • Options
    andatcdc said:
    MRI's for headaches are generally inconclusive. Hardly ever see anything on them that are related to headache. I personally would not get an MRI whole pregnant. I would suggest seeing a chiropractor. Many times the headaches are brought on by something in the neck.
    I've never tried a chiropractor before - that's a good idea to do that before an MRI.
  • Options
    Elbug said:
    trawas01 said:
    MRIs are magnet based not radiation based and the risks are very, very low during pregnancy. I would ask for a consult with a neurologist. They should be better able to advise you of the risks/benefits before making a decision.
    This, but make sure you talk with your OB.  Headaches can be normal during pregnancy and sometimes they can be a red flag for something bad (Pre-E or other blood pressure related issues).  MRIs are expensive also so make sure you've had a 2nd opinoin.

Maybe consider getting a massage or chiropractic adjustment in case thats the underlying cause (which is common and why I get adjusted regularly).  
    Thank you all so much for your advice and perspectives.  My OB is the one who recommended getting an MRI.  She told me she can refer me to a neurologist, but most will require you get an MRI before seeing them for migraines.  
  • Options
    gonzol said:
    Elbug said:
    trawas01 said:
    MRIs are magnet based not radiation based and the risks are very, very low during pregnancy. I would ask for a consult with a neurologist. They should be better able to advise you of the risks/benefits before making a decision.
    This, but make sure you talk with your OB.  Headaches can be normal during pregnancy and sometimes they can be a red flag for something bad (Pre-E or other blood pressure related issues).  MRIs are expensive also so make sure you've had a 2nd opinoin.

Maybe consider getting a massage or chiropractic adjustment in case thats the underlying cause (which is common and why I get adjusted regularly).  
    Thank you all so much for your advice and perspectives.  My OB is the one who recommended getting an MRI.  She told me she can refer me to a neurologist, but most will require you get an MRI before seeing them for migraines.  
    I don't think that's right. I was referred to a neurologist before getting an MRI- for persistent headaches as well. Maybe it just depends on where you are.. 

I second/third trying a chiropractor before even thinking about an MRI. You could also look into acupuncture. 
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the neurologist thing either.  My sister-in-law had a long-lasting headache that she saw a neurologist for a few months ago and they made her get an MRI before her first appointment.  We are on the same insurance, so maybe that's their policy or something.  

And I think I will make a chiropractor appointment tomorrow.  Good idea to exhaust other options before the MRI.  And I'd love to get off of this medication, too.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity & I'm sure your OB would have thought of this, but are you taking any new meds while pregnant?  I had daily headaches, some of which were migraines, for several weeks & it turns out that it was due to Zofran.  I'm still taking Zofran but at a lower dose now.  I'm also taking magnesium daily which is a 'natural' remedy for headaches/migraines.  I have only had one since doing the combo of lowering the dose/taking magnesium.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was hospitalized for terrible pain in my side/back with dd & had an mri done. Like pp's said, the doctors reassured me that the risks were low. The only one concerned was me. :)

• Options
    I hope you figure out the cause and get relief. I would not want to get an MRI while pregnant, but was told by drs it should not be a problem. I'd probably seek alternative solutions until after delivery, like nutrition, diet, acupuncture, or meditation, but if the headaches did not stop I'd probably follow drs recommendations. I hope you find relief!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I am going to go see a neurologist. S/he will probably be able to go over my options better. I just want the pain in my head to stop!
  • Options

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to go see a neurologist. S/he will probably be able to go over my options better. I just want the pain in my head to stop!

Excellent idea! No offense to your OB, but I think jumping straight to an MRI is a bit much.

Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options

Excellent idea! No offense to your OB, but I think jumping straight to an MRI is a bit much.

I agree. I think she is being extra cautious, but it seems extreme. I made an appointment with the neurologist (two weeks out - boo). And I went to my first chiropractor appointment today.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all of your advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"