August 2014 Moms

Anyone having a babyshower? Have a theme in mind?

AnaguisbellAnaguisbell member
edited April 2014 in August 2014 Moms
I wanted to have a say in it.

I am a very simple person, I did not want to go over the top. Since I'm from Dominican Republic and in Dominican culture anything is an excuse for a huge party, my so my family automatically thinks that I have to have some over the top baby shower and invite everyone.. lol so that's where I came in. I'm letting my mom and best friend plan it but I have a say in what stays and goes. I want a nice and intimate baby shower no crazy party.  So I decided to go with a rustic owl theme. Very simple .

Has anyone else started to plan their baby shower? Or are you going to be surprised?

It'll be something like the picture below.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone having a babyshower? Have a theme in mind?

• I'm having a shower, but I am not planning it. My mom and MIL are. There has been talk of it being owl/ woodland theme, because I love that stuff. I am not a big theme person, so I trust my mom to not go too overboard with the theme. I hope for it to be more of a "feel".
  • My mom and sis are throwing mine. There's no real "theme", just getting together for an afternoon of mingling. It will be co-ed

image    image
  • Loading the player...
  • AnaguisbellAnaguisbell member
    edited April 2014
    @trawas01  Actually they both gave me ideas and and they had me pick from one of the themes they chose because they wanted me to like it, So I chose the one I liked the best. I didn't think that was an issue .. and dictate would not be the word to use. 

Also my fiance' and I are paying for half of it :) So, again they are planning it, but I just chose a theme and requested that it be small and intimate. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited April 2014
    WRONG BOARD!
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • My friend is throwing the shower for me.  I know we are doing a simple BBQ with beer, no games (Jack & Jill shower) and inviting a bunch of friends.  Beyond that I am leaving it all up to her unless of course she asks for help.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have been asked for input on both showers (one hosted by my sister the other by my MIL - which is really a shower for herself) I told them I didn't have a preference but my sister is idea was to make the theme around peanuts. The 4 grandparents nicknamed our LO Peanut so she is think Charlie Brown and "Peanuts" characters or Circus/Elephants 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm having one at the end of June but I have no say. I have suggested some things I've seen and liked. My only suggestion I will not live without is that. It cannnot be held outside in the summer heat. Lol other than that I don't care. I love to plan parties so not helping kinda sucks but being the doted on guests of honor is nice too ;)
  • Yes, but my sister and mom are throwing it for me. My sister chose the theme, Winnie the Pooh (the original!) So of course I didn't say no. They are paying for everything and beyond the theme I have no idea about anything else. I only had a few small requests. One (before we knew we are having a boy) was that I wanted it to be gender neutral (specifically in that it's not ALL pink or blue) and two no games. She also let me pick out the shower invites off of Etsy. I trust their taste and judgement and I know it will be great. I'm just thankful to be having a shower period. They are a lot of work! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • I volunteered to pay most of the shower, the rest is being paid by them. They wanted me to choose a theme since they say I' m picky which I don't think I am ;)) but they think so, since I'm the one always doing the party planning for any special occasion. I'm just giving them the money and they do the rest. All I had was the say in the theme. they are choosing decoration, location, food, etc. they want me to have the final say but i'm sure ill be ok with whatever they choose. It is nice to not be planning it and just sitting back and letting other people do the work for a change lol.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My mom and I actually took this weekend to plan my shower. Yes, I am playing a major part in my shower and paying for the majority of it but I am doing this because I love to plan events and I knew what I wanted, so why not be involved? We are doing a She's About to Pop theme with hints of Dr. Seuss since we are doing the nursery in Dr. Seuss. Like for food we are having popcorn chicken, jalepeno poppers, green eggs and ham (going to color the egg whites green and have stuff to make sandwiches with the ham) and some other things. Also we are going to have a popcorn bar and have center pieces made of ring pops and pop rocks. Decor will be more along the lines of Dr. Seuss, lots of red and blue and incorporating some books.
  • @danrae801 I don't know why some people get offended because a mom wants to have some input on her shower. lol

I love your theme!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My best friend is planning it and I'm not sure what we're doing! It might end up being cowboy-themed because the name we chose for our son, combined with my last name, is a real cowboy name! However I'd be totally happy with just generic cute baby stuff. 
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    edited April 2014
    @christel811 Because it's my first and the first grandchild for my mom Soooo,If I don't want a huge party, whats the problem?

I want to share this moment with family and friends not EVERYONE who won't even speak to me after my shower, and WE( my mother, best friend and I) think having a theme is cute.. didn't think there's a problem with that either!

to each their own.I'm not getting on anyone because they don't want a theme or what not, we're all different here. I asked IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVING A BABYSHOWER AND IF SO WHATS THE THEME (IF any), you could of simply just said your first sentence and called it a day.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My mom is throwing my shower with the help of my BFF, aunt, and cousin. My mom and BFF ask me all of the time what I want and I am a major part of the planning. I don't see what is wrong with giving input or helping in the planning if they ask. And I know they are asking because they just want it to be perfect for me. I know I would have a great time no matter what they did, but after all of the losses and the IF they are just trying to make it extra special. I appreciate that they love me so much.

We are having it in early June. We are either doing a French Lavender thing (I was an exchange student in France in hs) or an English Garden tea party theme (studied abroad in London in college). We are liking these themes because they are personal to me, but they are also simple. We will just be bringing in some flowers :)

TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • stoofewok said:
    salsy2012 said:
    aliletz said:
    WRONG BOARD!
    First of all...who are you and why do you think this is the wrong board? She is allowed to discuss this topic if she likes. 

Secondly, after your username rang a distant bell in my mind, I remembered that you are a July '14 mom who came over here and attempted to call out funnibunni on our board over a month ago because you didn't like something she did on the July board. 

And, as I recall, we sent you back from whence you came. 

So...I guess I agree with @toratoratori

WTF? Why are you here? Why do you care?

She said wrong board because she must have been lurking on our board and posted on the wrong board. She's from July - I remember her stopping in from the July BMB when they called out FunniBunni that one time.
    OH! Okay...gotcha. I was so confused. I thought she was telling the OP wrong board. 

Well then...I retract my heated response. 

photo 1535695_10204084387365984_9025186931759532004_n_zps94c2fa04.jpg

• MIL is throwing me a shower at her house - probably in the backyard as long as the weather cooperates :) (late June - one can hope!)  I'm not much into planning stuff myself, so I don't really care how she does it, but it's nice that I can count on her to do it (my own mom - not so much).  I don't know if there will be a theme or not, but our nursery will be Winnie the Pooh-themed so I imagine she may go with that and/or other Disney-related baby stuff (H and I both like Disney).  I'm sure it will be a good time no matter what :)

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm always bored to death at baby showers. My friends are always bored to death too. When it came time for mine my two friends hosting asked me what I had in mind.

I said to throw a party. Party! I told them I'd buy the alcohol. They insisted that I didn't buy anything. I got them really nice gifts as a thank you.

The cupcakes in my avatar are what another friend made.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • For my baby shower for DS there was a nautical theme because that was our nursery theme. I had input on foods because the hostess wanted to know if I had food aversions.

• The only input I have on my shower is there better be some petit fours from the badass bakery down the street. Otherwise, I don't care.
  • edited April 2014
    If someone is throwing you a shower you say Thank You and attend.

You do not dictate the theme or style.

• I'm not having a shower this time but with DD I didn't even know the "theme" until I showed up. It was basically girl with some zebra print.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We'll mrs @mhiester314 this is my first couple of weeks on the bump so I'm sorry that you've seen these kinds of posts before. Apparently people don't read, because again I didn't "dictate" anything.. My mom and best friend picked out a few themes that's they liked and then THEY wanted me to chose the theme for it . No need to call me pissy because I'm not , I just simply like to help people understand since so far the point hasn't gone through . I asked if anyone is having a baby shower and what their theme was. I didn't know just because I wanted to express to other moms or moms to be that I had something in mind , I was going to automatically get judged because I picked a theme for my baby shower that I'm paying for ultimately. I don't judge , so I was hoping joining the bump I wouldn't run into people who do like to judge other people on what they like or not. :) hope you have a goodnight

Pregnancy Ticker
    edited April 2014
    @TrishieTerp please refer to my previous posting above :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We'll mrs @mhiester314 this is my first couple of weeks on the bump so I'm sorry that you've seen these kinds of posts before. Apparently people don't read, because again I didn't "dictate" anything.. My mom and best friend picked out a few themes that's they liked and then THEY wanted me to chose the theme for it . No need to call me pissy because I'm not , I just simply like to help people understand since so far the point hasn't gone through . I asked if anyone is having a baby shower and what their theme was. I didn't know just because I wanted to express to other moms or moms to be that I had something in mind , I was going to automatically get judged because I picked a theme for my baby shower that I'm paying for ultimately. I don't judge , so I was hoping joining the bump I wouldn't run into people who do like to judge other people on what they like or not. :) hope you have a goodnight
    photo 1535695_10204084387365984_9025186931759532004_n_zps94c2fa04.jpg

• Lol I'm the new girl at thebump.com high school. Thanks you for the heads up

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I was pregnant with my first my MIL and DHs grandma threw my shower. I got to pick the theme and some balloons but I think they only included me because DH was away at boot camp and they were trying to keep me busy lol it was jungle themed.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I love the Baby-Q ideas!
  • My sister in law is throwing one for us. All i got to say was that i wanted a couples baby bbq, so we can invite both men and women and have a fun bbq in our backyard. I dont get a say in anything else.
  • My mom is throwing a shower for us. My only request--since we are team green--was to not have a yellow/green colored theme so instead my mom is doing an all white theme, which I love. Oh, I guess I did request lemon filled cupcakes too! :) She's super crafty/creative so I can't wait till June to see what she comes up with!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My mom asked me what I want for my shower.  My response was "to not have to plan anything and just show up."

Started TTGP July 2013  ~  BFP! 11/21/13  ~   TEAM PINK!!!  

**Josephine Aimee** born 5/21 at 29 weeks 2 days

You should know how great things were before you. Even so, they're better still today.  
    Now I can't think who I was before you ruined everything in the nicest way <3

image  image

imageimageimage

• I was asked if we had a theme for the nursery with DS.  I said no so I got baby boy generic.  The only input I gave was that I would like cake.

I'm not having a shower this time.

>>>---FSU--->

• My mom asked me for any requests to pass onto my aunt and cousin (the hostesses) I just said alcohol and no games if possible. She also asked what food, dessert, and theme I wanted, I told her it didn't matter to me at all. I'm just thankful they are throwing me one to be honest.

• @TrishieTerp please refer to my previous posting above :)
    This? To each their own.I'm not getting on anyone because they don't want a theme or what not, we're all different here. I asked IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVING A BABYSHOWER AND IF SO WHATS THE THEME (IF any), you could of simply just said your first sentence and called it a day.

You post something on TB and you get responses. You may not like some of them. You may prefer certain responses. That's too bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"