Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Putting rice ceral in the bottle

My MIL suggested putting cereal mixed w/ formula in LO's bottle before bed. She said just pick 1 nipple and make the hole a little larger so the thicker mixture can go through. My husband is ademant on NOT doing it, since it's no ok with the doctor (he's over paranoid). I'm thinking about about doing but, but nervous to do it because I have no idea how much to put in... LO is 3 months old.

Has anyone done this?
image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Putting rice ceral in the bottle

• Don't...Its a choking hazard.  Feed the baby cereal if you want to give it.
    View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    My forever love  ( April Siggy Challenge) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Solids shouldn't be introduced until four months at the earliest, but the common recommendation is exclusive breast milk/formula for the first six months.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My mother said the same thing. It's just outdated advice. Obviously, I survived, but it's just that there's really no point to doing it. A 3month old cannot process cereal, so it's nutritionally useless. When she starts solids in 1 to 3 months the cereal is still more of a learning tool (how to use a spoon) than a nutrition source. I would wait and follow your pedi's advice. My LO is 4 months and change and our pedi said we could start juice or cereal or wait. We are waiting for now. At this age they still need mostly milk.

• It's a choking hazard. It doesn't help baby sleep any longer. It can cause tummy trouble.

Team Your Husband.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• sewolff said:
    I think everyone's mother-in-law suggests putting cereal in the bottle.  It's one of the things moms used to do.  Supposedly it makes babies sleep better.  My mother-in-law is great but I go with the pediatrician on this stuff.

This. And my gem of a MIL suggested I put chunks of fruit in the rice cereal when I told her my DD didnt seem to like it. 8-|

BabyGaga

• We were told not to due to my twins digestive system not being fully developed among other common reasons. They are now 4 months and we were told to try cereal during the day with spoon because introducing it to them at night is a bad idea in case their stomachs get upset they won't keep you awake. Makes since. They do not have any digestive issues but all babies organs are still developing after birth. So, husband and doc are on the right track it seems with many other docs and mothers.
  • alb0208alb0208 member
    edited April 2014
  • My father remarked just this week that when I was 4 weeks old, the pedi had him feeding me cereal... I turned out fine, but omg! Our 4 month appt was this week and dr told me to go ahead and spoon feed LO just a bit... Told me he would go back to sttn... Everyone tells me that's wrong. We may go ahead and give him some later, as he's quite curious about table food... It won't be much and surely not in a bottle.
  • We had our 4mo check up last week and I asked our Dr about introducing rice cereal and he said not yet. Introducing anything other than BM or formula too young can increase your child's possible allergies (key word CAN). He suggested no rice or baby oatmeal until 6 mos. The Dr actually gave me a list of new guidelines on what the new suggestions are for feeding babies. It was pretty interesting.

And like others have said it doesn't make your baby sleep more by giving them rice cereal with their bottle. They wake up because their little belly's can only hold so much. 

Good Luck!
  • NO NO NO such outdated advice. my SIL did this with her daughters and tells me to do it too. ummm no. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"