Trouble TTC

NewTo3T/Injectibles-IUI Qs/LO-siggy warning

Hi ladies,

I'm a TTGP transplant although I haven't been active over there in a very long time. We started TFAS in February of last year when my LO was 10 months old, because it took use 14 months to get pregnant with HER. This time around has proven to be just as frustrating. In February I pregnant on the first try, but had to have a D&C @ 8 weeks. This was my second loss. It's now been a year in which I haven't been able to get pregnant again.

I started seeing an RE, found out I have some clotting issue that will need to be addressed with blood thinners once I do get pregnant again. And today is CD 1 of my first ever treatment cycle. We are doing injectibles and an IUI.

Questions:

I'm panicking about the injections. I worry I'm gonna freeze up when I have to do them and won't be able to go through with it. Or I'll inject in the wrong place and ruin everything!!!!!1111!! Plus I feel like I forgot everything in the class I took on Friday where they taught me how to inject myself. Good thing I took notes. Any words of wisdom?

What should I expect from the IUI? How long will it last? Pain? Sex before or after? Or not at all? Tell me all the things!

It's nice to "meet" you all, although I'm sorry it's under these circumstances. TIA for any and all info, advice and wisdom you can share!

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

Re: NewTo3T/Injectibles-IUI Qs/LO-siggy warning

• Thanks girls! 

It just seems like so much to remember. It's overwhelming. 

• Hi Melissa - I remember you TTGP and I'm sorry for your losses and struggle.

The anticipation before the injection is so much worse than the actual injection, IMO. I watched the videos on Freedom Fertility's website to make sure I remembered what I was doing for the first shot.

PPs gave great advice. It really helps to pinch a nice little roll of fat. I bend over a little bit to get a good section. The tighter you squeeze, the easier the needle goes in. Also, be careful not to go directly below your belly button. It hurts more than on the sides. And maybe I'm weird, but I definitely don't inject myself the way I throw a dart. I feel like it bounces off my skin if I go too fast.

Good luck!
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • To add: some people say to use ice to numb the area first, but it's actually not such a great idea because it might interfere with the injection. Make sure you wait until the alcohol dries on your skin before injecting so it doesn't sting as much.

I've only had 1 IUI , but it was easy for me. The speculum (just like in a Pap smear) can be uncomfortable, but I barely felt the catheter go in. I've read that the experience really varies. Some RE's will want you to have a full bladder, so ask what they think is best.
    Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 
    BFP #1: EDD 4/16/13~~blighted ovum w/ 2 gestational sacs~~Loss on 9/18/12
    BFP #2: EDD 9/3/13~~Slow HB at 1st U/S~~MMC -Loss on 2/13/13
    9/13, 10/13, 1/14: letrozole + trigger + TI = All BFNs
    3/14: IUI#1 letrozole/Bravelle/Menopur + trigger = BFN
    BFP #3: EDD 1/27/15 Please be our rainbow! ...Team Green

• @milagros315 I remember you as well. FX for your next IVF cycle. <3 Thanks for the info about the videos. I had no idea this existed. I didn't see that in the newbie blog. I bookmarked the follistim video and I plan on watching it before my first injection tomorrow. 

No ice, wait for the alcohol to dry. Got it. 

Thanks everyone!

• Everyone has given good advise. I don't have much to add. Just be aware that when you are done with the pen there is still some in there. I use an insulin syringe to get the last few drops out, that stuff is like gold. The conversion rate is 1 ml = 6 IU. It ranges on how much extra you can get out of the pens. I usually get between 75 iu - 90 iu. I only order 300 iu pens so I can get the most overfills. The only thing is you may have to give yourself more than 1 shot depending on your dosage. I had to do 3 shots some nights but I was on 275iu. The insulin syringes aren't nearly as sharp as the pens but they aren't bad at all.

I also took ganarelix and that needle isn't that sharp, I was warned ahead of time so I knew what to expect. My husband gives me the ganarelix but I do the rest of my shots. Also don't be alarmed if when you take your trigger you get a little red and sore around the area. It happens to me and I've read about other people complaining about the same thing.

Good luck!

Fucking bump!!!!
  • I'm starting injects myself soon, too!  I just got my package o meds in the mail on Friday so they're all ready to go :) I've heard the needles are painless.  I'm not particularly worried about it since I've had so many injections (for trigger) and blood drawings already anyway.

As for the IUI, it doesn't hurt at all.  The speculum sucks like it always does.  My vag is long so they have to use the biggest one available to reach my cervix.  This is why I'm so mystified when people tell me how their cervix feels to the touch.  I can't reach it no matter what I do!  Ah, TMI...

Anyway, good luck!!  You'll be nervous with the first shot but it will get easier.

• @Pintobean39 I just suck all the extra out of a few cartridges, and then get the air out, and inject the overfill into a new 300IU cartridge before I give myself the first injection out of it. That way I limit it to at most 2 pokes per night :) 

NOW you tell me :-)

I did all my Gonal shots by myself this last cycle so my husband had no clue. I keep track of how many times I had to stick myself ... 29 times and I had to get blood drawn 8 times. I made a note on my calendar. I kinda kept track so my husband would feel sorry for me but I don't think it phases him. I was thinking though wouldn't it be cool for a necklace or bracelet if this ends up being my Rainbow baby with maybe 37 pearls, diamonds would be nice but who am I kidding it's expensive to stick myself, or something as a reminder of what I went through. I might just have to go pick 37 rocks off the side of the road when my credit card bill comes in.

Fucking bump!!!!
  • Just took my first shot. It's 75 units for three nights and I go back on Friday for monitoring.

I freaked the fuck out before I took it. Like sweating, tears, full on panic. The thought of stabbing yourself is just so unnatural. After a few minutes I found my lady balls and just did it. It was not that bad! I didn't even feel it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"