Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

b-safe strap placement

Hi

On the b-safe out of the box the harness strap is on the bottom of 4 slots. Is that the correct place for a newborn or should it be moved up? Or does it just depend on the size of the baby? I didn't realize this until now & I don't want to try & leave the hospital with the straps in the wrong place. Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: b-safe strap placement

• Options
    Your best bet is to put it on the lowest harness setting, as straps need to be at or below shoulders. I had a 90% for height and did not move the straps up until 3 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's what we used, but it depends on the size of the baby. It's easy to change them, so just be sure to bring your manual to the hospital with you so you can adjust them if needed.

We kept ours on the smallest setting for a while, but our girl was <6 lbs at birth.

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok thank you!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would also agree with pp that you will likely leave it on the lowest setting, even with a large baby. That being said, when we had DD1, the nurses were wonderful with helping us adjust the straps and get it as tight as needed. At our hospital, we couldn't leave our room until baby was buckled into the car seat and the nurse even did the finger under the strap check for tightness. Then the hospital attendant who pushed me in the wheelchair got into the car with us to hear the "click" of the seat into the base. They are very helpful, so don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The straps are to  always, ALWAYS be at or below shoulder level when rear facing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

I would also agree with pp that you will likely leave it on the lowest setting, even with a large baby. That being said, when we had DD1, the nurses were wonderful with helping us adjust the straps and get it as tight as needed. At our hospital, we couldn't leave our room until baby was buckled into the car seat and the nurse even did the finger under the strap check for tightness. Then the hospital attendant who pushed me in the wheelchair got into the car with us to hear the "click" of the seat into the base. They are very helpful, so don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it!

It's awesome that your hospital was helpful with the seat, but a lot (dare I say most) are not. As a parent it's YOUR job to keep your child safe. Like other posters have said, set it to the smallest setting to start. Read your car seat AND vehicle manuals BEFORE the baby is born and take the car seat manual with you.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    It's awesome that your hospital was helpful with the seat, but a lot (dare I say most) are not. As a parent it's YOUR job to keep your child safe. Like other posters have said, set it to the smallest setting to start. Read your car seat AND vehicle manuals BEFORE the baby is born and take the car seat manual with you.
    I agree with this completly.  Take some time and read the car seat manual.  Lots of good stuff in there :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options
    Beyond telling you if your baby is safe to go home in a regular car seat (some little premises need a car bed, and if that was the case, the hospital would hook you up with one), many hospitals won't help with car seats. It's just too big if a liability issue for them. That being said, there should be a fire station around you that does car seat installation and checks. Generally, they're simple enough to install that seeing it even once should be enough to make you comfortable.

The biggest things to be aware of that many parents miss: when rear-facing, shoulder straps belong at or below the shoulders. The chest clip should be at arm pit level... any lower is an ejection risk in the case of an accident. Also, the straps need to be tight. If you can fit two fingers stacked on top of each other under the straps, they're too loose. And lastly, any aftermarket products that didn't come with the seats haven't been tested with them and thus are not considered safe... this includes "piddle pads," aftermarket shoulder pads, neck pillows, etc... as well as the Bundle-Me thingd that go beyween bany and car seat in the winter. If it came with tge car seat, it was tested and us good. If not... not somuch. The shower cap type car seat covers go completely over baby and car seat so they are ok. Also, make sure that any toys you attach to the car seat are light and soft enough that they wouldn't hurt the baby if they went flying.

*car seat spaz* sorry.
  • Options
    dmurrie said:
    Beyond telling you if your baby is safe to go home in a regular car seat (some little premises need a car bed, and if that was the case, the hospital would hook you up with one), many hospitals won't help with car seats. It's just too big if a liability issue for them. That being said, there should be a fire station around you that does car seat installation and checks. Generally, they're simple enough to install that seeing it even once should be enough to make you comfortable. The biggest things to be aware of that many parents miss: when rear-facing, shoulder straps belong at or below the shoulders. The chest clip should be at arm pit level... any lower is an ejection risk in the case of an accident. Also, the straps need to be tight. If you can fit two fingers stacked on top of each other under the straps, they're too loose. And lastly, any aftermarket products that didn't come with the seats haven't been tested with them and thus are not considered safe... this includes "piddle pads," aftermarket shoulder pads, neck pillows, etc... as well as the Bundle-Me thingd that go beyween bany and car seat in the winter. If it came with tge car seat, it was tested and us good. If not... not somuch. The shower cap type car seat covers go completely over baby and car seat so they are ok. Also, make sure that any toys you attach to the car seat are light and soft enough that they wouldn't hurt the baby if they went flying. *car seat spaz* sorry.
    I would agree with everything except the fire station because even those that have check points are not always CSPT certified and I have seen incorrect installations and inappropriate seats being recommended (belted high back booster for newly 3 year old). This doesn't speak for all but just throwing that out there.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"