Stay at Home Moms
Options

Bunny & the Easter Eggs

What does the Easter Bunny hide at your house? Growing up, he hid our baskets and the eggs that we dyed. For DH, he hid baskets and some plastic eggs. I really like having him hide the "real" eggs, since it just feels "right" to me and it gives a special reason to dye the eggs. But, it is way harder to pull that off since we can't just do it the night before. I figure I'd have to get up super early, hide eggs, and then go back to bed until the kids wake up. AT our old house, we were down one hallway together with a pocket door on the end and that was a great setup. I have hidden the real eggs until now but it's harder at our new house and with DD being five. Now we're on opposite ends of the house and no pocket door, so I'd have to be super careful. DH says forget it; just do plastic and hide the real ones later as a family for a fun game. 

What do you do/any advice?
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Bunny & the Easter Eggs

• Options
    Chocolate candy eggs were always what was hidden for us as kids.
    That's what I did for DD.
    we are doing it this year for DD and DS1, but he won't be eating any.

Then again, sounds like the way my family Easters growing up were much different than most other people's.
    We hunted for chocolate eggs and got a small chocolate bunny at our seat at the table. No gifts, and no basket.

• Options
    We hide plastic eggs. I wake up early and hide eggs before the kids wake up. The baskets sit out in plain view. When they get older I may do scavenger hunts for their Easter baskets like my mom did for us when we got too old for egg hunts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Growing up he hid both candy filled eggs and dyed eggs.

They were hidden the morning of. (So dad would do it while mom got us dressed/in the car for church.)

We will do the same.

Oh, and we do eat the dyed eggs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Growing up we only hide the plastic eggs. We colored eggs but just ate them.

• Options
    Yes, we eat the colored ones, too, after we find them. I am thinking of hiding plastic and then doing a family hunt later w/ the real ones. AND, my mom told me this morning that they only hid the real eggs for us in later years! They used to just put a few eggs in our baskets. I have NO recollection of that and only remember searching for eggs. Weird.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Our bunny hides our baskets, no eggs.
  • Options
    Our bunny hides the basket and plastic eggs.  I would worry about forgetting where they are all hidden.

Funny story about dyed eggs.  At my church it is a tradition to receive a red dyed egg on Easter morning.  Two weeks ago DS was helping my dad clean out his car because the lease was up.  He found a red dyed egg wedged under the drivers seat from last year's service!  My dad said the Easter Bunny must have come early, but he breathed a sigh of relief that the egg had never broken. Still, it was a year old! 

• Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    Our bunny hides the basket and plastic eggs.  I would worry about forgetting where they are all hidden.

Funny story about dyed eggs.  At my church it is a tradition to receive a red dyed egg on Easter morning.  Two weeks ago DS was helping my dad clean out his car because the lease was up.  He found a red dyed egg wedged under the drivers seat from last year's service!  My dad said the Easter Bunny must have come early, but he breathed a sigh of relief that the egg had never broken. Still, it was a year old! 
    Are you Greek?  My Yi aYia does all her eggs in red :)
    No, American Orthodox.  It is a tradition across a lot of Eastern Orthodox churches.  Russians, Serbians, and Ukrainians also have the red eggs.  Greek Orthodox is just the most well-known :-)

Did you grow up cracking the eggs? 

• Options
    My parents only hid our baskets. DH's parents hid plastic eggs. We hide both, and just eat the real eggs. I put decorated real eggs in their baskets if I remember.

You could hide the real eggs when you go to bed, they won't go bad being unrefrigerated overnight.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    lazy bunny here too. Baskets were on the table when we woke up. Plastic eggs were hidden by adults after lunch while the kids are kept inside and away from windows.
  • Options
    Plastic eggs are hidden all over the house and contain Annie's gummy bunnies and change.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He hid a combo for me growing up and he doesn't hid them here or at least doesn't every year. It's kind of hit or miss for me with remembering to dye eggs and hide them...she gets a basket though, that's about all you can count on with Easter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"