Parenting
Options

Little kids and hot dogs

At what age did you/do you stop cutting up hot dogs for your kids?

Re: Little kids and hot dogs

• Options

Not joking

• Options
    Yeah I'm joking!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It really depends on kid. But leaning towards 4ish.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I don't know yet and DD is 3.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Dom was probably 5. Sophia has started to take bites of an intact hotdog and seems to prefer it that way.
  • Options
    DD1 is almost 8 and I allow her to eat whole hot dogs, but it's only been within the past year or so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pobrecita said:
    Dom was probably 5. Sophia has started to take bites of an intact hotdog and seems to prefer it that way.
    Lol at intact hotdog. Omg.
    I didn't know how else to word it. 
  • Options
    Speaking of, I had a delicious Chicago dog for dinner. It was delightfully intact.
  • Options
    DD has had whole hotdogs. I'm always with her when she does. If I have to cut I cut the circles in half as to eliminate the plug issue. DD also likes sausage but those are so big that she can't bite off a whole circle kwim. I'm talking about stuff like brats.

• Options
    I dont know but I'll probably do it longer than necessary because paranoid

I cut them into long thin strips and then put them back on the bun with some ketchup...hes a fan.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    For a while yet.

I choked on one when I was about six and remember the fear and everything so clearly. I took a bite and laughed and the damn thing went down my throat.

image image
  • Options
    @mbenit4 anyone can choke.  It's not like everyone who has ever choked doesn't chew their food, that's why it's an accident.  The reason hotdogs (and grapes) are scarier is because if they do choke, the food is the perfect size and shape to completely block their airway unlike food that's more irregular in shape and might allow the passage of at least a little air.

We just started letting him have grapes and whole hotdogs and he's almost 4.  I about died watching my SIL feed her TEN month old whole grapes.  My MIL finally said to BIL (her son) "I try not to butt in but you absolutely need to stop doing that."
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
    edited April 2014
    I "called you out" because you don't seem to get how he could choke but whatevs, just genuinely trying to help you understand why it's such a big deal.  If he bites the damn thing and someone scares him and he inhales or he fucking coughs and it slips down his throat before he has a chance to "tear it up" it's bad news.

• Options
    mbenit4 said:
    I "called you out" because you don't seem to get how he could choke but whatevs, just genuinely trying to help you understand why it's such a big deal.  If he bites the damn thing and someone scares him and he inhales or he fucking coughs and it slips down his throat before he has a chance to "tear it up" it's bad news.
    Don't you have some hot dogs to cut?? Leave me alone!!!!!!!
    U mad?  Need a hug?

• Options
    I still cut DD's and she'll be 4 in June, but I also have this

Both my kids love it.
    DD {6.13.10} & DS {5.19.12}
  • Options
    I'm just going to pull and OP and respond by just thread title alone.

I feed my kid hot dogs all the time.  Applegate farms organic ones that are fucking delicious.

I cut them in quarters length-wise and then cut them into small pieces from there.

I give him vats and vats of ketchup in which to dip them.

Exactly this. She's 3 and I still cut them. I don't know when I'll stop. 
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    Does anyone else remember the Armor hot dogs commercial? It was kind of awful. It would not fly with today's society.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    My kid will not go near a hot dog, so I don't have this to worry about specifically.  But, I'd probably cut them up forever because I'm so paranoid about choking.  I do this with grapes and I won't even let him eat raw carrots. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"