Pregnant after 35

Anyone have to go back after Anatomy scan for more views of heart?

Ok ladies I am freaking out and probably shouldn't be. I had my anatomy scan on Thursday. They are connected with a perinatologist office so they have them view the scans and write up the final report. Well the nurse from Drs office just called and said they need me to come back for a repeat scan in 3 weeks because of the babies position they didn't see everything they wanted of the heart. She said all the anatomy looked good, everything was in the right place but they wanted better views of the heart. She did say "there's nothing wrong, they just want to make sure they have everything." Has anyone else had to do this? Should I be worried there is something wrong with my baby girl? 

Re: Anyone have to go back after Anatomy scan for more views of heart?

• I am going in tomorrow for my 6th scan. :) having twins makes it harder than singletons but it seems everything can be just fine but the baby won't lay still or is in the wrong position.

The heart seems to be tricky!
  • Yes. I had an anatomy scan with my Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor yesterday and he wants me back in six weeks because he couldn't get all the views of the heart that he wanted due to the baby being too small. How far along are you?

If everything else they could see on your scan checked out fine then I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. Good luck!
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I am such a worrier I drive my husband batty. lol Thank goodness for these boards. And I was 20 weeks 1 day at scan and 21 weeks today. :)
  • My first pregnancy, DD just refused to cooperate in the anatomy scan. She put her arms, legs, butt, head, and spine between the "camera" and her heart. The tech said she would grow up to be a yogi. So they got half the heart views they needed. However, they got the two of the four that were most likely to show an issue. They said otherwise I would have had to come back. So sounds like you may have a budding yogi too and they just didn't get the two most important views. DD is perfectly, perfectly healthy.
  • Not for the heart, but for the hands. They couldn't get a good look at them.

Went back a week later. All was fine.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• MrsDLMrsDL member
    DS had a high NT measurement on that scan but my blood work was perfect - so they said it put him at risk for a congenital heart defect.  The anatomy scan looked fine but they also didn't see everything they wanted to.  I had to go back at 24 weeks for a fetal echocardiogram.  Everything was fine.

• I had my A/S on Monday (14th) when I was exactly 21 weeks.  The U/S tech said she could see all 4 chambers of the heart, and everything looked beautiful.

But, when I saw the doc, he said "We were able to see ALMOST everything, except where the blood exits the heart.  It's nothing to be concerned about.  Baby's heartbeat is fine and healthy, but we want to just schedule another U/S at your next appointment so we know for SURE.  Again, we are NOT worried, but we just HAVE to check."

I trust my doctor.  He's not worried.  I'm not worried. 

I told him "Sweet!  More U/S pics!!  Yes please!!!"

So, I'll be going back May 14th for my monthly check-up AND another U/S.

If your doctor isn't worried, you shouldn't either.  Trust them.  This is what they do for a living.  :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• My perinatologist told me when I was in for an US at 13 weeks (I'm going back in for a targeted level 2 US at 18 weeks), that he'd like to have me back in for an echo around 22 weeks, just because I'm AMA and diabetic, not because the scan showed anything that looked bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • slightly different situation but we did IVF and my doctor likes to do echo. we had anatomy scan a couple of weeks ago and followed up with the echo today. everything looked good. best of luck to you. i'd rather be over tested than under tested, as long as it's not invasive, but you've got to try to assume the best rather than the worst. not always easy.
  • I know I will have to have an additional u/s at about 24w because DD1 was born with a tiny hole in her heart (which closed on its own by the time she was 6m). So this is a precaution. I wouldn't feeak out just because you need to come back for better views.... Look at it as an extra opportunity to see the baby.
  • I literally just posed this same question above like 10 minutes ago.

36 years old, this is baby 2, went in for our A/S this morning at MFM -- I'll be 20 wks on Weds... everything seemed fine but doc wants us back in 6 weeks (which feels like an eternity away), for another u/s to get better look at the heart and the mouth. He said it is just to make sure everything is okay because they couldn't get a close enough shot, but nervous nelly over here...

Good luck to you (and me).

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes, I was asked to return a few weeks back after my AS bc they could not get all the pics needed of my baby's heart. Just like with you, I was told there were no concerns from what they did see, but that her positioning blocked the needed pic and I was rescheduled for the next week. They were able to get the needed pics in my follow up visit and her heart looked fine, no concerns. My care as an advanced maternal age patient has always been very thorough. Good luck, I hope this comforts you.
  • Yes, I was asked to return a few weeks back after my AS bc they could not get all the pics needed of my baby's heart. Just like with you, I was told there were no concerns from what they did see, but that her positioning blocked the needed pic and I was rescheduled for the next week. They were able to get the needed pics in my follow up visit and her heart looked fine, no concerns. My care as an advanced maternal age patient has always been very thorough. Good luck, I hope this comforts you.
    Argh, I wish they'd tell me to do it next week!  I have to wait SIX WEEKS for this!!  Why?!?!?!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"