TTC after 35

Newbie with questions

Hello Everyone!

My name is Karen and I am 37, however I will be 38 in June.  I was married for the first time this past September, and shortly after the wedding my IUD came out and we started TTC.  I have heard it takes sometime to conceive after being on birth control.  We are now on our 7 month of TTC, and I did have a miscarriage last month.  Looking at the positive side of that, at least I know we are both fertile and are capable to conceive.  Although I am trying to stay positive it is SOOOOO Hard! People keep telling me to stay calm and stop stressing or you won't get pregnant.  I am really trying to do that, but it is a lot easier said then done!

In the mean time I am trying to eat and drink healthy. I was wondering what are you all drinking?  I drink a lot of water during the day (I only drink water at work), that when I get home from work I just want something to drink with flavor when I eat dinner.  I am getting frustrated because my acupuncturist, who specializes in fertility has me off of artificial sweetners (No Crystal Light), and although she said Green Tea is great to drink, Arizona Green Tea with Honey and Ginseng is not healthy.(My husband and I were drinking that because Green Tea is healthy for you and I thought there were no sugars in it due to the honey and Ginseng.  It has been my go to flavorful drink with dinner.)  I guess it has a lot of sugar?  I am flavoring my water with lemon/lime juices and mint/cucumber, but there has to be some kind of juice that I can drink. Water gets boring, I just want flavor.   Any ideas?  Side note:  If any of you like hot tea, I do drink pregnancy tea which my acpuncturist told me about. It is very yummy if anyone is looking for a hot tea. It can be found at Whole Foods or Giant grocery stores ( I live in Maryland).

Also, what kind of prenatal vitamin is everyone taking?  When my IUD came out, my OB told me to start taking prenatal vitamins immediately to prepare my body.   I have been taking a prenatal vitamin found at my local drug store. However, when in the OB office a few weeks ago, I saw an add for a prenatal vitamin for women 35 and older.  Is anyone taking a prenatal vitamin like this?  I am just debating if I should find the 35+ vitamin online or should I just continue taking the one I am taking now?  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.  I think this is great to speak with other women who are TTC around my age.  I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Smile, Be Happy, and Live Life to the fullest!!!!

*************************  Siggy Warning (Loss mentioned)************************************
Me:  38  PCOS
DH: 37 Everything normal 
Sept. 2013   Married and started TTC
March 2014   CP
Aug 2014     CP 
   HSG and MRI done
Sept. 2014   Started seeing RE
Dec. 2014  First IUI
Clomid, 75 mg bravelle on Days 9 and 11, Ovidrel- Trigger
Jan. 2015  2nd IUI  
Clomid, 150 mg bravelle on Days 9 and 10, Ovidrel-Trigger
Feb. 2015  3rd IUI

Re: Newbie with questions

• I don't have any advice for you regarding what to drink. However, my RE (reproductive endocrinologist) wrote me an RX for Vitafol Ultra. That's the one I've been taking. I have a sensitive stomach, so those worked the best. I'm turning 38 next month, however we do have MFI, due to a vasectomy reversal, so I am in a different boat than you! Welcome & hope your stay here is short & sweet! Sorry about your loss. :(
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• First let me tell you I am sorry for your loss. I also suffered a loss last month. Hugs to you.

Welcome to our group. We are a great bunch of very supportive women. So it's nice to have you join us.

Feel free to smack the next person who tells you to relax and you will get pregnant. Those people can go scratch!!!!

If you are serious about getting pregnant go see an RE. They specialize in getting women pregnant. They will run a bunch of tests and decide what is the best way to help you get pregnant.

I drink only water but that is because I'm in a diet( I post a getting healthy check-in on Sundays so join if you are interested). I agree with the no caffeine and artificial sweeteners but you can have something with regular sugar. Everything is ok with moderation. So you can have a flavored seltzer or mix cranberry juice in your water. When I go out I have ginger ale with a splash of cranberry. You can also make your own iced green tea and add honey and lemon to it.

As long as your prenatal has folic acid and DHA in it you are fine. I take two separate pills. Rainbow light vitamin and a plant based DHA pill (I'm vegetarian). I get both on amazon.

Now that I have written a book for a response I hope it helps a little ;)

Me:39, DH:40

DD born 8/96, DS born 8/04

TTC#3

NTNP since 2006, active trying 1/13

Natural M/C 3/13 at 7 weeks

CP 2/14

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

All welcome

• Loading the player...
  • lcwedlcwed member
    Welcome to the board. I gave up diet coke and needed a substitute for what I call my soda food. I use one of those minute maid fruit juice squirter things similar to Mio. It's from fruit juice concentrate but I just use a small squirt for taste.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Oh my goodness thank you both for your posts and advice. I too am sorry for your losses. I wish you the best of luck in ttc.
    I will defintely try ginger ale with cranberry. I never even thought of brewing my own green tea. My mother used to do that when I was a kid and everything is so high tech these days or done for us that I forgot I can brew tea. I will try this out and If I dont get pregnant this month or next I will look into the RE. I have never heard of them so thanks for the heads up.

*************************  Siggy Warning (Loss mentioned)************************************
    March 2014   CP
    Aug 2014     CP 
       HSG and MRI done
    Dec. 2014  First IUI
    Jan. 2015  2nd IUI  
    Feb. 2015  3rd IUI

• Another great idea. I will look for this at my grocery store. Thank you very much for your help!

March 2014   CP
    Aug 2014     CP 
       HSG and MRI done
    Dec. 2014  First IUI
    Jan. 2015  2nd IUI  
    Feb. 2015  3rd IUI

• Davie813Davie813 member
    edited April 2014
    Welcome, sorry for your loss, and best of luck. I haven't done a lot of research into it, but I really don't think any sort of special prenatal for over 35s is necessary. I agree with @hooligans4‌ that you need to make sure you're getting dha with your prenatal. I think they all have the recommended dose of folic acid, but I still take extra because I've read that doing so before conception and in the first month of pregnancy can help prevent Down syndrome and other trisomies.

As for what to drink, let me know if you figure it out. I'm honestly not even going to try to give up Diet Coke (and I didn't while I was pregnant with/TTC DD--she's 10 months old, born when I was 39--either.) :)
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Welcome to the board! I'm sorry about your loss. But it sounds like you are doing all the right things. I saw this water bottle on pinterest once that has a filter section that you can put almost any type of fruit in. So you get some natural flavor from real fruit. And...here's the link!

*TW below*
    Me: 40 DH: 38
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016
    Baby Boy Due Sept 12 2017
    Elias (Eli) born 9/2/17 at 7:07pm weight 8lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long!!

• Ohhhhh thank you so much for sharing this link. I will look into this, this sounds like exactly what I need!!!

March 2014   CP
    Aug 2014     CP 
       HSG and MRI done
    Dec. 2014  First IUI
    Jan. 2015  2nd IUI  
    Feb. 2015  3rd IUI

• Hi! Welcome! I'm new too! And like you, suffered a loss in February, so i know what you are going through. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Hopefully you won't be here too long!!

I'm diabetic so i can't drink a lot of soda, and the diet drinks are TERRIBLE for you! So i try not to drink them. That said, i drink a lot of water and hate fruit in it. It's just weird. There are juices with low sugar. Ocean Spray has some. They're considered and marketed to be "lite". I mix some of that juice with diet sprite (which i don't do very often) or you could use club soda or regular sprite or 7 up since you can't have artificial sweeteners. Can you have regular sugar in drinks? There's also a cream soda that i like and will allow myself to have one each day since they have sugar in them. There are also those flavor drops you can buy. I have no idea what's in them, but a friend of mine swears by them. He says they are super tasty and since you only use a few drops it's better than an entire soda.

As far as the vitamins...i'm looking into those as well! The Rainbow Light 35+. I'm hoping they are small enough for me to swallow. I have a hard time with big pills. My doc said that as long as i was on a prenatal that has iron and folic acid in them, she didn't care what brand i was taking. But it's SO confusing since each vitamin brand has a different level of stuff in them! I was on the Up & Up Target brand of prenatals, but i'm going to try these 35+ ones and see if i like them.

Best of luck to you!
  • Hello and welcome! It's great that you are drinking regular, decaf green tea. I have also recently started doing this. 

One water option is to add some Emergen-C packets. You might try half a packet for a glass. I would only recommend talking to your doctor first since they contain a lot of extra vitamins and there may be one or two that aren't kosher when becoming pregnant. Vitamin A comes to mind, but don't quote me.

I use Walgreens PNV with DHA. It comes in two boxes joined. I just noticed the other day that they are not vegetarian, although I am.

Good luck to you. This is a great community and I hope to see you around.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Welcome, good luck and I'm sorry for your loss. I really can;t help you with anything since I'm British and over here prenatal vitamins are seen as kind of distasteful almost, and certainly unnecessary, so I don't take any (plus I don't think they'd even apply since we're not using my eggs), and I only drink water really.
  • Welcome, and so sorry for your loss.  Hope your stay here is short!

As for drinks, I love unsweetened iced tea - decaf or herbal.  My other favorite is to make a spritzer with about 1/4 - 1/3 glass juice, and the rest club soda or seltzer.  Just be sure you're using 100% juice - the other stuff usually has a bunch of added sugar.  If you want to avoid sucralose - which imho is better for you than aspartame or saccharin, but would still be considered artificial - be careful with "light" juices since they often reduce the calories by adding it. I've also been using stevia (e.g. Truvia) as a sweetener.  It's an herb, unlike other non-sugar sweeteners. There's one old study on it that showed some effect on fertility in rats, but it used extremely high doses and I believe even the guy who did the study has said he thinks there were faults with it.  As with anything, moderation is key. 

I just take a generic prenatal, and also take fish oil which provides DHA.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Tsuga76 said:

I've also been using stevia (e.g. Truvia) as a sweetener.  It's an herb, unlike other non-sugar sweeteners. There's one old study on it that showed some effect on fertility in rats, but it used extremely high doses and I believe even the guy who did the study has said he thinks there were faults with it.  As with anything, moderation is key. 

I just take a generic prenatal, and also take fish oil which provides DHA.

Really? I use kind of a lot of it! Do you remember how it was supposed to impact fertility?

:-S :-S
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• @Davie813: I believe it just resulted in fewer baby rats.  It was just one study done in the '60s though - I doubt they went into a lot of detail on the specific causation.  And though I haven't dug up the study myself, I read somewhere that in order to ingest an equivalent dose you'd have to eat like 7 pounds of the stuff every day.  Eating 7 pounds a day of anything is probably a bad idea.  Hell, water can kill you if you ingest enough of it.  I only mentioned because you see references here and there.  A lot more studies have been done since then and after looking into it more, I've concluded it's fine, and a lot safer than other sweeteners.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I actually have been using stevia since i started ttc 7 months ago per my acupuncturists recommendation so I am with @davie813. I also take fish oil daily along with my prenatal vitamin that has dha and 800mg of folic acid. I just wasnt sure if I should get vitamins specifically for women over 35.
    Thanks ladies for all your help!!!

March 2014   CP
    Aug 2014     CP 
       HSG and MRI done
    Dec. 2014  First IUI
    Jan. 2015  2nd IUI  
    Feb. 2015  3rd IUI

• CaraHCaraH member
    Hi Karen - Iced herbal tea is a great dinner drink option. I like mint, generally. But, I wonder how your pregnancy tea would taste iced?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"