Pregnant after 35

UPDATE Intro and I need some love and prayers - sac is visible but no yolk (kind of long, sorry!)

Niki99Niki99 member
edited April 2014 in Pregnant after 35
Hello! I am 41 and recently discovered I'm pregnant for the second time. My son is six. I am in reasonably good health, though I could use to lose a few pounds, and I have PCOS. I set up an early appointment with my OB since my progesterone levels were low early in my first pregnancy. By the date of my last period, I am 6 weeks and 6 days pregnant. In the office today, they did an internal u/s and the sac was clearly visible, but there was no fetal pole visible. My doctor said he thought he saw a flicker, but he couldn't swear to it. The sac measures about 6mm. My doctor said that since I have PCOS and a very irregular cycle, it is entirely possible that I'm just not as far along as we thought. The estimation of my being nearly 7weeks is based on the last period date and assuming a 28 day average cycle. Since we weren't really trying (have been off and on, but things have been so busy that we put it on hold), I honestly have no idea when we conceived. They drew some blood to confirm pregnancy is positive and established and to check my progesterone levels. I should actually get the results back tomorrow sometime. Oh! I am also having some very mild spotting (light pink, every now and then when I pee) and some light cramping. Both of which I had last time I was pregnant at around 5 weeks. As far as pregnancy symptoms (multiple home tests have all been positive), my boobs ar killing me, I'm peeing A LOT, and I am having pretty bad diarrhea. I know I am overthinking this, but it is so hard not to. We tried for three years to have my son. We gave up, started adoption proceedings and WHAM! We were pregnant. We started trying again over three years ago, and I was near giving up this time... And here we go again! So, things don't look really negative, right? If I am only around 4 to 5 weeks pregnant, a visible sac but no yolk yet is completely normal, isn't it? So I shouldn't be worried until it is really time to worry. That is what I keep telling myself. Thoughts? Opinions? Warm fuzzies? UPDATE- According to the blood test, I am right at six weeks. My progesterone levels are a little low, so I have been put on oral progesterone once daily. My OB has referred me to a specialized fetal imagery place for another ultrasound. It is the same one we used when we were having my son. I was monitored closely because my son was getting so big -no gestational diabetes, just a really big baby! He was born at 39 weeks weighing 11lbs, 4oz, 22 inches, healthy and happy. He still is h&h and still off the charts growth wise :) Anyway, these people are the best of the best, and I have an appointment with them for an internal u/s next Wednesday to check for viability, etc. I am trying to be hopeful. I have been seeing online about lots of women having ultrasounds at 6 weeks and seeing nothing and then seeing the yolk and even a heartbeat at 7 weeks. That is what I'm trying to focus on.

Re: UPDATE Intro and I need some love and prayers - sac is visible but no yolk (kind of long, sorry!)

• I am sorry you are going through such a stressful time. The first few weeks are so frightening waiting to hear if everything is okay. Thinking of you and sending hugs and prayers your way... Stay positive and keep us updated!
  • If you are on,y 4-5 weeks, seeing only a sac is completely normal. I know how hard it is not to worry and I won't even tell you not to because it is impossible not to worry when everything is unknown. Hopefully you will get a better idea of how things are going at your next ultrasound. If there has been progress then you can relax a bunch. I wish for time to pass fast for you so you can get some answers.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Warm fuzzies for sure!
  • QOTRQOTR member
    rcbuko said:
    If you are on,y 4-5 weeks, seeing only a sac is completely normal. I know how hard it is not to worry and I won't even tell you not to because it is impossible not to worry when everything is unknown. Hopefully you will get a better idea of how things are going at your next ultrasound. If there has been progress then you can relax a bunch. I wish for time to pass fast for you so you can get some answers.

All of this.  Best of luck to you!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Seems like the symptoms are there for sure. Hope everything works out.
  • The early weeks are so stressful! I'm hoping for the best for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FX for you to get good results next Weds, and I hope the days fly by until then!   The early weeks are so stressful especially with any hint of a possible problem.  If you're really getting anxious in the meantime you could ask for another blood draw to check that hgc levels are rising/doubling as they should, though even that can be uncertain since there is some range in doubling times and once the levels get high enough (which yours may already be) they start to rise at a slower rate.

If it helps at all, I was one of those who didn't see a heartbeat or fetal pole yet (though there was a yolk sac, but I only o'd 2 or 3 days late and you may have more later which could explain the difference) at what would've been 6w1day by LMP and then a week later all was good and they said I measured at 6w5d rather than 7w1d (the LMP projection) which matched when I thought I o'd anyway.  Now I'm at 37 weeks and all seems well!  I really, really hope you will have a similar story!
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Thank you all for the well wishes! Springbeduk, thanks for the inspiring story and congratulations! So happy for you!!
  • Great that you have a followup scheduled-best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"