Late Term and Child Loss

Postpartum bleeding question - sorry if this is TMI

edited April 2014 in Late Term and Child Loss
Hi I'm sorry if this sounds gross and I understand that no one here is a doctor but I have been spotting ever since I lost Joseph some days more than others but generally normal with a decent amount of clotting I went for a check up April 2nd where at that point it was minimal spotting he said there was a small amount of fluid left and all looked like it was healing really well and that it should stop in about 10days and I could expect my period after that in a few weeks....from there it slowed down then went to a decent amount of a brown color and a day or so after that started up again a lot in bright red but it is now a even flow without the clotting and it's 'alot' I feel like it's a heavy period and not like it was in previous weeks... I have no fever and not much cramping. If anything- could this be AF this soon? It's been about 5.5 weeks now since I gave birth to him... I plan to call the doctor but wondering if anyone else got AF so soon after the lochia ended?

Re: Postpartum bleeding question - sorry if this is TMI

• It's only been four weeks for me but my bleeding stopped last week. With my dd I got my first pp period six weeks later.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I think it could be AF, but no personal experience. I haven't gotten mine yet and it has been almost 10 weeks since his birth and about 6 weeks since my PP bleeding stopped. I'm thinking I may need to make a call to the doctor soon too. 
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• Loading the player...
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for the info I guess the timing seems appropriate since it's been close to 6 weeks since DS birth and pp bleeding tapered off end of last week and it went right into this .....I just thought I'd have a break in between the pp bleeding and first AF so it stumped me :-?
  • Thanks for the info I guess the timing seems appropriate since it's been close to 6 weeks since DS birth and pp bleeding tapered off end of last week and it went right into this .....I just thought I'd have a break in between the pp bleeding and first AF so it stumped me :-?
    It caught me off guard last time too.  I thought I had food poisoning at first (before the bleeding started) because I had the worst cramps of my life.  Not fun. I'm sorry.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I had cramps about a week ago now just minimal - thanks for listening yeah it's the worst I'm not used to this bc it's been a while I guess ...it's so heavy and the pads feel like diapers! I hate them ugh
  • My guess would also be that it's your period.  After a miscarriage (I know stillbirths are different, but I haven't seen numbers on stillbirths), the average amount of time between it happening and first period is 6 weeks.  However, my doctor said not to be concerned unless it passes 12 weeks. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @gracie5107‌ - I had a mc (blighted ovum at approx 8wks) early last year and after the D&C I didn't bleed as much as I did after my recent still birth, but even so, I recall my period came back fairly quick or at least within the normal range the doc told me the following month- so probably similar to what you're saying I suppose I just wasn't expecting it thanks for responding xo
  • ***TICKER***

With my loss, I bled for a week, then stopped. But my first pp period came at 5.5 weeks, and there was no mistaking that it was my period. I was surprised that it came so quickly, too.

________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bled heavily for the first week then it went down to an annoying amount of spotting...enough for a pad but not a whole lot.... that spotting continued another 6 weeks. It stopped only to come back another week later. I've only gotten my period without medication maybe 5 times in my life so I'm not sure if the spotting was from the delivery and D&C or if it was period #6 for me!  I think my amount of bleeding and spotting was a bit extreme though since I had a D&C after Jack's delivery to remove the placenta so it was a lot of trauma.

Me: 33, Endocrine issues & FVL       DH: 32, Nothing 
    NTNP 2009-2012         TTC since 2012:
    • Clomid, 2 IUI cycles, and 5 IVF cycles = BFN
    • FET #1   August 2013 = BFP!     EDD 5/11/14
    • Jack dx at 19w1d with Dandy Walker on 12/16/13
    • Severe Pre-e /HELLP set in Jack born sleeping at 20w1d on 12/23/13
    • FET #2 --July 2014  BFP!  ---  EDD  4/5/15

Jack has handpicked his sibling up there :)

My blog about IF and loss ... Kate's IF Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary

• After our son was stillborn, I bled for 5 weeks, had a week of nothing, and then my period at 6 weeks. I was totally surprised it came so quick, but apparently that is pretty normal. My first period was heavier than normal, but other than that, my cycle went back to normal pretty quickly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • It does sound like it could be your AF. My AF arrived 6w5d post lost and started out a bit lochia-like.

TTC since 10/2010
    IUIs # 1-5 = BFFN
    IVF # 1(July 2012) = BFN
    IVF # 2 (November 2012) = BFP (MIssed MC D&C @ 8w3d on 1/10/13)
    IVF # 3 (June 2013) = BFN 
    IVF # 4 (September 2013) = BFP Fraternal twin boys! (Loss at 21w6d due to IC on 1/26/14...devastated.)
    3/21/14--TAC (transabdominal cerclage) w/Dr. Davis in NJ
    IVF # 5 (May 2014) = BFN
    FET (August 2014) = BFN

• Thanks for the feedback ladies @Maybe Joleisa‌ and @stefuge‌ yes think this is definitely AF- I'm sad in a way because I feel it signifies physically that the pregnancy is over but at the same time I guess I'm glad my cycles are starting up again so we can prep for when we are ready to TTC which I'm hoping will be next month or June -
  • nohalo21nohalo21 member
    edited April 2014
    I've had some strange bleeding that came at 4 weeks. It was unlike the lochia like spotting. It was bright red and lasted 8 days. No cramping though and it wasn't consistent all day. After all we have been through it would be nice to have some normal, although I know nothing is normal anymore.
  • I bled lightly for 2 weeks- stopped for 2 weeks then started again- my doc said it was my period. Now I am 5 days late- I took a test a few days ago and Im not pregnant (not trying or planning any time soon) everything just feels screwed up. I see my ob next week- if my period isn't here by then I'm requesting the pill for 3 months to get regulated.
  • @nohalo21‌ I totally agree I just want my body back to normal at this point even if my mind won't get there as soon. This bleeding I have now is pretty consistent so I know it's my period. Hoping it continues normally next month xo
    @veetveet‌ is there a chance that last bleeding spurt wasn't a period? I've been doing so much reading on this topic and they say lochia can stop and start again for weeks, also that our cycles may be wonky at first and getting your first cycle may be delayed- either way if the pill helps you I say go for it - xo
  • I've had some pretty irregular bleeding since my loss. I didn't bleed much after the birth, only spotting for about a week. Almost exactly 4 weeks post loss, I started bleeding for about a week. Two weeks later, started bleeding again - this time very heavy and for longer than my normal period would be. Two weeks following this, I was bleeding again but not so heavy and shorter. I have been having PMS symptoms this week so it seems like maybe my cycle might be getting back to normal (it has been almost a month since last bleeding). 
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies @Maybe Joleisa‌ and @stefuge‌ yes think this is definitely AF- I'm sad in a way because I feel it signifies physically that the pregnancy is over but at the same time I guess I'm glad my cycles are starting up again so we can prep for when we are ready to TTC which I'm hoping will be next month or June -

The first time AF shows is definitely tough, I remember. It's hard to feel like your body is just "over it" and back to "normal". ((Hugs)) Bright spot, like you said, is you do want your cycle to regulate for trying again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • Whoa! I have the exact situation as you. I'm 5.5 weeks post partum from delivering our little girl-still. I thought I was almost finished with all the bleeding and such, but as of a couple days ago the red bleeding is back with a vengeance! I was half wondering if I should be worried, but I don't have a fever or feel bad in any other way. It's just annoying because I'm so over wearing pads! I have my final pp appointment next week so I'll be asking to see what my Dr. thinks of this. Doesn't seem like it would be AF since there was no break from the pp bleeding/spotting. I've had several miscarriages and I always had 4 weeks between the end of my bleeding to the arrival of AF. Hmmm
    BFP #1 6/20/06 M/C 9w4days
    BFP #2 12/2/08 M/C 5w4days
    BFP #3 6/9/09 M/C 4w4days
    BFP #4 6/22/10 M/C 8w
    Sept. 2010 DH Dx: chromosomal balanced translocation (4,10){q21,p15}
    BFP #5 5/12/11 M/C 7w1days
    BFP #6 8/6/11 Gavin Knox born 4/12/12!
    BFP #7 10/1/2013 still birth @ 28 weeks following a UBT girl diagnosis
  • @LisAndMikey‌ bleeding stopped now just a small bit of brown (gross TMI I know) but we will see if this is finally the end! xo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"