May 2012 Moms
Options

Religousness? GTKY

Just curious, what was your religious/non-religious upbringing and how are you raising the kidlettes?

With the posts about Easter I just realized that, while raised Roman Catholic, we never went to church on the major holidays. We went to church on Sundays and did religious instruction until our Confirmations. Once I (the youngest) completed that sacrament, we stopped attending church. My mother had a bad experience (she was told she was a sinner bc she used birth control) and got a real "bad taste" in her mouth about the RC church (I think that was the proverbial last straw for her). Though we still carried a belief in God we no longer participated in church activities. I have a bend towards Buddhism now. My husband was raised Lutheran but is not overly religious. We have not begun talking about any form of belief system with Sophia. Though I am open to giving her some form of structured religion, we have not even baptized her yet. (Yes, I have Catholic guilt about that. haha)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Religousness? GTKY

• Options
    DwinalsinloveDwinalsinlove member
    edited April 2014
    I have been attending an American Baptist church since I was born and it is the same church my mom has attended since she was a baby. I adore my church and my church family. It is another home to me. 

I am currently running the praise team and my DH sings with me and my Dad plays guitar. I also help out with youth group. We attend every Sunday and we are normally involved in anything special that is going on.

I plan on giving Abby a strong foundation of who Jesus is and why I love him so much and why that changes the way I choose to live my life. However, I want to give her the ability to figure a lot of that stuff out on her own. I believe that faith is very personal and can not be forced upon kids. My parents did an amazing job exposing me to Christ without pressuring me to believe. I hope to follow in their footsteps.  
  • Options
    My parents raised my brothers and me Lutheran. We went to church every Sunday until we had all completed our sacraments and then didnt go anymore. I don't practice any religion now but I do believe that there is a higher power of some sort.

DH claims he is Roman Catholic but has been to church less than 5 times in his entire life (they went on Christmas Eve or Easter) and never made any of his sacraments. He doesn't actively practice anything.

DS was never baptized and we have no plans to teach any religion to him. When he gets older he can decide for himself.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was raised Catholic/Protestant (mom catholic, dad protestant). We attended United Church every Sunday. I was baptised, and completed my confirmation in the church. My sister and I attended Sunday School, I did choir for a while and then Youth Group when we completed our confirmation. After moving away from home I was much less involved but still spiritual and attended service for major holidays with my family. Now since I have been with DH I have gone even less so because he is Athiest, as is his whole family. 

I am still spiritual, in my own way. I consider myself to be Christian; I believe very much in God and Jesus but at the same time I don't believe in the bible as a text to follow. I will allow DD to make her own choice. If she came to me wanting to be a Buddhist I'd be fine with it. I have enough spiritual diversity in my family, I have no reason not to accept the beliefs that others choose to follow. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was raised in a Christian home although my parents bounced from church to church. We were raised praying and reading the bible stories. And my dad was a good Christian model.

Dh was raised baptist in a very religious home.

We have tried to have a Christian marriage and family we pray with our children and go to church most Sundays. We try to model our faith and like was said show them why we love and trust Jesus we will not force it on them but I honestly feel if you have the gospel presented to you and truly modeled to you it finds it way into your heart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"