Preemies

6 wks & never slept more than 3 hours

My little guy is 6 wks 2 days. He was born 6 wks early & spent 2 wks in NICU. He weighed 3 lbs 14 oz, 17" long. He had platelet issues & jaundice but that was it, no other health issues. He was just small. We've been home a month. He is gaining & eating well. He's now 7 lbs 12 oz. He's having a growth spurt now, I think, because he's eating almost every hour or so. He just doesn't sleep long. His biggest sleep ever has been 3 hours. In NICU, he was on 3 hour intervals. Any other preemies not sleeping very long?

Re: 6 wks & never slept more than 3 hours

• That is how it goes.  Your baby is just now the size and age of a normal newborn, and those babies are also usually up feeding all night.  They usually recommend you wake preemies to feed every 3 hours if they are not waking on their own, so that your baby can wake and eat is a good sign.  It's rough, but it will get better.
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    Yeah, he shouldn't be sleeping more than that yet. A full term newborn could weigh that amount and they're supposed to eat every 3 hours, so it's just par with the course. We've all been there. Eventually you'll sleep again! Enjoy your baby!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, sounds very normal. Hang in there - eventually you will get more sleep.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Normal. DS was born at 32 weeks and we were cleared to go up to 4 hours at night at 2.5 months.
    Newborns have tiny bellies that fill and empty quickly. They have to eat round the clock to keep full, and your LO is small and therefore has an even smaller belly.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Like pp said, normal. Idk if it was coincidence or what but around 10lbs they started to go a bit longer at night - maybe 4hrs?

My boys are 9mo and I have one that's still up every 5-6hrs. I haven't slept a full night in a very, very long time (my 4yo is up often at night needing one thing or another).

• Thanks. I was just curious when other preemies started to sleep longer. I haven't slept longer than 3-31/2 hours since I was 3 months pregnant so I'm used to these short stretches.
  • Welcome. My LO is 7mo actual/5adjusted and she still doesn't sleep well. Ever.
  • Sounds normal! He is still a newborn, so he is sleeping just like a newborn. We didn't really get longer stretches until 4-5 months. Just hang in there!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Very normal. My 27 weekers started to sleep for longer stretches at about 4 months old (5 weeks adjusted). They went from slept for four hour stretches for about 2 weeks, 5 hour stretches for 1 week, and now this past week they have been sleeping 6 hours. They still eat every 2.5-3 hours during the day, and we have to do a dream feed with our smaller twin due to weight gain issues, usually right before we go to bed. It does get better. I know every baby is different, but for us when it started to get better it happened very suddenly.
    TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
    3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DD is 9 months, 7.5 adjusted...3 hours at a time at night is still the norm here...soon enough they'll move on!  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"