March 2013 Moms

Waking in the night screaming? Sorry if already talked about.

Back story: Baby was one on March 16.  He has been walking and very, very mobile since about 10 months.  He has four teeth on the top and four on the bottom.  He doesn't talk at all, but knows a few simplified signs and gestures ("bye," blows kiss, waves "all done").  He has never been a good sleeper, sleeps lightly and nervously.  We tried snuggly attachment and co-sleeping for a few months and it was awful for everyone.  Did progressive leaving, and it helped a bit.  Straight up CIO seemed to help a lot, but he is just sensitive.  He wakes up when our night shift neighbor comes home, when the dogs' tags jingle, etc.  We added a white noise machine and that seemed to help.

Now: Baby has been waking up SCREAMING 4-6 times a night since about Saturday.  He has never been a STTN champ, so at first we didn't really notice it.  But two times went to three to four to six and we are out of our minds.  I'm just so tired.  When he awakes it is to straight up screaming, not crying.  At first we tried to let him cry for a couple minutes but it gets worse, though I'm not sure how I know this since it seems to start off at an intensity of 10.  Last night we did whatever it took: bottle, lie with him, hold and rock.  He would go down and then wake 5-10 minutes and scream again.  After a second (or third) round, he would sleep for an hour or two, then back at it. 

I can see no medical reason for his screaming.  We thought maybe he was really hungry, hence the bottle.  He always goes to sleep easily, barely a peep, both at night and at naps.  His naps are all over the place, sometimes 1, sometimes 3.  If he is not tired, I can't get him to sleep, though, but the second he looks a little drowsy, he will nod right off.  He naps for 45 minutes to (at best) 1:45.  Yesterday he had one hour and 45 minute nap around noon and then a 30 minute nap about 4pm.  

Anyway, any of you going through this?  Any of you second time moms have advice?  I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but this seemed the place to turn.
TIA!

CageyMack
37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

Re: Waking in the night screaming? Sorry if already talked about.

• It could possibly be a food allergy or something that isn't digesting well. It could also be teething, or just some separation anxiety (though the fact that he was still screaming when you were trying to soothe him makes me think otherwise).

That's really stressful, I hope y'all figure it out soon :(

• DS has recently started this screaming in the middle of the night thing.  It is like you describe - at a level of 10 from the start.  At first I would go in there and get him but he would get angry that I did that which was odd.  Then I stopped doing that because it would take 1-2 hours to get him back to sleep.  Now, recently as in the last 2 weeks, he has done the bloody murder scream, but then after about 2 minutes it goes away and he is back to sleep.  I asked the ped about this months ago and he said it is night terrors.  Night terrors are really common with babies especially boys.  They usually outgrow them.  It is so sad to hear and makes for a lot of wakings for me, but he gets back to sleep fairly quickly after an episode.  I am not sure if that would work for you based on what you said, but you might want to look up some info on night terrors and see if that's what's going on.  Good luck!

;

• Loading the player...
  • 12 month molars I say. DD has been doing this too
  • Molars? We're going through this as well.
  • We've had a few instances of this as well.  For us, usually DH can go in and get her and bring her to me and she will nurse which will calm her down and get her back to sleep, but she usually sleeps the rest of the night with us when it happens.  We have thought night terrors as well, just because of how sudden and intense it is.  Teething has always gotten her up a million times a night as well, but this seems different to me.  Mama snuggles and nursing are about the only things that have worked for us - DH has tried comforting and rocking her back to sleep without even bringing her to me (as that is what usually works if she randomly wakes in the night), but in these instances she wants none of it.  Hopefully you can find a trick as well, it is the absolute worst thing to wake up to!  The first couple times I was crying with her because I felt so helpless and she was just so darn upset. :(
  • DS started waking due to an ear infection.  Wasn't pulling on his ears or fussing during the day.  He is still on antibiotic and waking 2 times a night after sttn Good luck.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • VanillaCakeVanillaCake member
    edited May 2014
    Yes yes and yes. My son does all of those. He has 4 upper teeth and 4 lower teeth. He has been sleeping an extra nap too which is very odd. His naps also rarely exceed 45 mins. H e wakes up screaming and ignoring it never helps. I cave in and give him a bottle which we had already stopped and it does help sometimes. After several nights of this going on, his upper first molar came through. This is still going on...so I'm assume it will continue until they all erupt. Wishing u good luck and all moms/babies going through this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"