April 2014 Moms
Options

C-Section Mommas - Staples Question

With DS, I had a c-section and did not get staples.  This time around (different hospitals and doctors), I did.  I am supposed to go home later this afternoon and they will remove them before I leave.  Can someone explain to me how it feels?  Does it hurt?  Just uncomfortable?  One nurse said it felt like mosquito bites.  TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C-Section Mommas - Staples Question

• Options
    Didn't even feel it!!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I have had staples other places and it's not bad having them taken out. Your sensation is kind of all messed up on an incision like that so you probably won't feel much.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some of mine pinched but they were in a week and my incision was sensitive.
    "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    It didn't hurt but they left them in for a while (I don't remember how long, maybe 1-2 weeks).
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had staples with my first, I couldn't feel most of them, because my incision area was numb. There were a few I felt but it was just a pinching feeling. The nurse was talking to me the whole time to distract me and she was really quick about it, so it wasn't bad.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• Options
    The only time I've had staples was when I was 5 or so, and if it's any consolation, the pain was minimal to the point where I didn't even cry, so you shouldn't be too worried.
    Delilah Noel
    4/25/14 12:41am

• Options
    MissWhisMissWhis member
    edited April 2014
    I was worried it would hurt, but it totally didn't. Plucking hairs is a good comparison, but I'd say even less painful than that. They removed mine the morning I was discharged.

I guess it depends on the doctor whether you get staples or not. A nurse told me that staples make a "better" scar - narrower and more even. Don't know if that's true, but it's what I heard!

Edit to add: I second what pps have said - the area around the incision is weirdly numb for a LONG time. You can't feel much as far as skin sensation. The post surgery pain is more in the muscle layer.
  • Options
    Mine were taken out 2weeks after c/s so they were twisted and bent by then and required a lot more twisting/turning/pulling than yours will. It wasn't horrible but it didn't tickle either.
  • Options
    I didn't feel mine either. They were removed the morning I went home, right after I showered.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • Options
    It didn't hurt at all. I also didn't really feel it. I was freaked out about that too bc I also didn't get them the first time buy it was a non event.

\image  image

• Options
    Did anyone else have staples that dissolve on their own?
  • Options
    I took my pain pills before having them removed (had been off them for several days before staples were removed) and I didn't feel a thing. Mine came out 10 days after c/s.
  • Options

Mine do! They are somehow stapled from the inside and will dissolve on their own. Crazy to me!

• Options

Mine do! They are somehow stapled from the inside and will dissolve on their own. Crazy to me!
    It's crazy to me too! I'm wondering how long they will take to dissolve? Of course I forgot to ask!
  • Options
    My staples will dissolve as well.
    Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My hospital doesn't use those dissolvable staples so I did some research, because as a nurse I hadn't even heard of them! According to Insorb the maker of the dissolving staples, they are absorbed in a few months.
  • Options
    Mine were taken out after 3 days or so. Barely felt it! Maybe a tug or a pinching feeling but no pain.
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"