High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Why did they put you on bedrest? And how far along were you?

Hey gals, I am 20 weeks today.  Having irritable uterus so far, also have PSD....and history of prior preterm delivery with first child....I am pretty sure I will join the bedrest club soon...but just wondering why and when you got it???  Thanks girls!

Re: Why did they put you on bedrest? And how far along were you?

• Options
    I was put on bed rest after my cervix shortened significantly and I had already been admitted to the hospital twice for contractions. They originally placed me with restrictions after the first time in the hospital, because my cervix didn't change too much and the contractions stopped after one injection of terbutaline. Even with the restrictions, two weeks later I lost a lot of cervix and started contracting again so it is total bed rest from now until June for me.

I hope that everything goes well for you and you do not end up on bed rest. It is difficult and I would much rather be working, but I know it is worth it. Good luck!

image    image    

• Options
    I was placed on bed rest at 31 weeks for high BP and pre-e. They are hoping to keep my BP as low as possible and it's working so far! I'm 34w5d now. Good luck with everything!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Restricted activity (1hr of activity a day, the rest of the day bed resting) started at 17 weeks for me due to a very short cervix (1.0cm) also got a cerclage and p17 shots started around the same time for the same reason.

At 21+6 my OB decided that since my cerclage hadn't lengthened my cervix beyond 1.5cm that it really was best to just start full bed rest with the thought that I might not even make it to viability. I managed to beat the odds though and 12 weeks later I'm still in bed.

It's not ideal but I'd rather be confined to bed and give baby the best chance than have my baby confined to the nicu.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Options
    @ThereBeDragons  congrats on making it to 34 weeks! Are you off bed rest now? My MFM said that at 34 weeks I would be off bed rest but still have restrictions (no sex, no lifting or exercising). 

image    image    

• Options
    I have what my doctors deem an irritable uterus with cervical dilation. I had started weekly progesterone shots at 20 weeks. But at almost 26 weeks I was having contractions and wound up in labor and delivery. They have me a shot of brethine and started me on Procardia. I found out I was a finger tip dilated. No cervical change since then but I am on bedrest, the weekly progesterone shots still and Procardia 4 times a day. I am 30 weeks now and will be on the bedrest and meds until hopefully 37 weeks.

They are being super cautious this pregnancy since I dealt with this same issue with my son 4 years ago. With my son I thought I was having BH and went to the hospital and found out I was 2 cm dilated at 28 weeks. I was on oral terbutaline and bedrest for 8 weeks. I delivered him in my 36th week when my water spontaneously broke.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    @ThereBeDragons  congrats on making it to 34 weeks! Are you off bed rest now? My MFM said that at 34 weeks I would be off bed rest but still have restrictions (no sex, no lifting or exercising). 
    I wish. My OB is quite conservative. I asked about coming off bed rest when the cerclage comes out at 36 and she dodged saying we would talk about it if I made it that far (and then suggested we might just leave the cerclage in until 37). So I'm thinking I'll be on bed rest for a minimum of another 2 weeks and probably until I deliver.

My MFM is less conservative and never recommended full bed rest (just the same restricted activity) but reluctantly agreed that whatever I am doing seems to be keeping me pregnant far beyond their initial estimates... So I've been sticking with the OBs recommendation as I'd really like to take our baby home without any nicu stay if possible.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Options
    XathXath member
    I was put on BR at 32 weeks because of PTL and a history of preterm delivery. I started Procardia at 24 weeks and went on BR after the maximum daily dosage was no longer keeping the contractions in check.

Bed rest did help with the contractions, but it did not stop or slow the effects of my premature placental calcification enough to make it to term. So I'm having my baby tomorrow at 35+2.

Good luck with your pregnancy!
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I went on bedrest at 25 wks after being admitted for 3 days for "threatened PTL." My cervix never changed, but I had my DS at 29 weeks after a very similar episode at 27 wks without cervical change so I pushed very hard for things to be different this time. I did modified bedrest at home with nifedipine until last week. I've also been on 17P which I highly recommend. I don't regret any of the things I did for a minute, although now can't believe I'm hanging out still pregnant! Yay termie!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    I went on modified bed rest at 32 wks for contractions. I had 3 trips to l&d with tributaline to stop them. I also was admitted once for mag. I had a history of ptl with my 1st and was on p17 starting at 16wks. I kept baby cooking until 39wks.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    So do your drs put you on bestest for irritable uterus? I had it with my son and went into PTL with my son at 32 wks, 3 days in the hospital and lots of meds and he stayed in until 37. Then with my last I had the worst irritable uterus, contractions all day every day sometimes lasting an hour straight. They said they wouldn't do anything for me for iriitable uterus since my cervix wasn't showing changes. I ended up losing that baby at 21 weeks due to hydrops....still not sure if it was at all related to the contractions. Now preg again and scared they will ignore my irritable uterus again...
    ME: 30    DH: 35    DS: 2 years
    BFP#1 - DS Born 2~15~2012
    BFP #2 - MMC @9 wk
    BFP #3  - Sleeping Baby Girl at 5 1/2 months :(
    BFP #4: Due Date 11/21/14

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    TRS48TRS48 member
    Home bedrest at 21 weeks, hospital bedrest 24 weeks-25 weeks, back home on bedrest at 25 weeks but will go back to hospital bedrest at some point. :( All because of a short cervix.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm at 30 weeks now and was put on bedrest today for mild pre-eclampsia. This is our first baby and I'm forced to take a year medical leave from school now, so I've been through a roller coaster of emotions today.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    @toriisalemon, it's a small pharmacy program with an emphasis on group work. Since I'll be missing professional practice experiences, group work, and presentations, they decided it would be best for me to take medical leave and come back with next year's class. And thank you for offering to answer any of my questions! I'm sure I'll have plenty in the next few weeks, so I'll probably take you up on that!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary Ticker
  • Options
    dmessdmess member
    Hello ladies,

Wow, so many mommies have to deal with bed rest. 

I have been told by my doctor that its very likely that i will be put on bed rest as well. I was really freaked out as I have a full time job and 2 kids to take care of. But sounds like you mommies are doing great! 

Why don't you put a list together of "things to do" while on bed rest. My imagination only goes as far as reading. Do you have other ideas?
  • Options
  • Options
    Just got put on modified bedrest today at 25 weeks for short cervix (2cm).
  • Options
    I'm 30 weeks and was put on BR starting at 26+5 when I spent 3 days in the hospital getting magnesium to stop my contractions, and steroids for the boys' lungs. I was 1cm dilated then. I'm now 2cm and my cervix has shortened from 4.6 when I was in the hospital to 2.4 last Friday. Even on BR, I'm still having strong BH every day and I've lost even more of my mucus plug over the past few days. My FFN test came back positive yesterday.
  • Options
    Put on bed rest at 34 weeks 6 days due to pre-eclampsia and chronic hypertension. Should only be about 2 weeks as they want to induce at 37 weeks. This was just yesterday so I'm still freaking out a bit.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Modified bedrest at 16w due to high bp and high pulse w/ a-fib. 
  • Options
    I'm very late but an I ask how your delivery went ? How far did you make it
  • Options
    mmgheemmghee member
    I was put on BR at 26 weeks. I had a stroke 10 years ago due to a blood clot. Last year I had a kidney failure. When I started getting dizzy, my OB put me off my to be safe (iv work as a cashier)

• Options
    I was put on bedrest at 33 weeks with my twins. I had frequent contractions and had to use procardia to keep them under control. Also, my blood pressure was steadily rising. 
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 20 weeks and put on bedrest now. Bleeding on and off for the whole pregnancy but now I've had a premature membrane rupture. Almost all my fluid is gone and I'm hoping to build more up again by drinking tons and not moving.
  • Options
    Drink tons of water I hears grape juice helped I'm not sure but I drank it , I had low fluid and I tried whatever worked .
  • Options
    I am 22 weeks now. I have been on modified bed rest since beginning of June due to bleeding /spotting the entire pregnancy. Now cervix is being monitored and still on modified bed rest. Seeing MFM on Thursday.
  • Options
    13 weeks with 'bed rest'.  I can't lift anything over 5 pounds, walk more than 5 mins at a time, go up and down stairs, no pools or lakes, No standing for long periods of time, keep feet up as much as possible....I had a cervical stitch put in.
  • Options
    Today at exactly 8w...with a very large sch...taking up half of my uterus...strict bed rest only getting up to pee and pelvic rest without so much as a tampon inside to catch all the bleeding...
  • Options
    I'm on bedrest at 19 weeks due to fibroid degeneration and contractions due to an irritable uterus.
  • Options
    I'm 36 weeks and 5 days. Went on bedrest once at 20 weeks for degenerating fibroids. Back on at 35 weeks for high BP, but not severe enough to call it pre-e. Hoping to bake this guy to 38/39 weeks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"