April 2014 Moms
Options

Coping with early/prodromal labor

I've been contracting basically since 17 weeks, so I really should know how to cope at this point. It seems that now with my last 17P wearing off they have been a little more frequent and overall more uncomfortable. For 3 days it's been lots of start/stop they'll be regular and intense and then space. Sometimes I can't even tell when they're starting/stopping because it's like constant crampiness. It's totally not worth a trip to L&D or a cervical check at this point, because it feels nothing like labor did with DS1 and there's no bleeding/water breaking, but I'm really struggling with how to cope and looking for suggestions.

What have you tried? Any exercise ball/positions that feel good to those of you dealing with similar things? Any meditations/books/yoga you'd recommend? I did take unisom last night and slept much better which was a HUGE relief. Please share other ideas... it feels like this could go on forever, which I know it won't.
BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.

Re: Coping with early/prodromal labor

• Options
    Well I've had the normal BH since 16 weeks, but I've had prodromal labour since 36 weeks. The worst episode was on Monday while we were moving my MIL. My false labour contractions have been irregular and 6-20min apart. But on Monday they were 7min apart then progressed to every 2min apart. I am 40weels 3 days today. I just want this to be over.
  • Options
    rage.

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh. That's the worst. I had to be on oxycodone the last few days before my girl was born because the contractions and non-stop cramping were too painful to get any sleep.

The only thing that actually helped was soaking in a hot bath. But that relief only lasted as long as the bath did. You could also ask your OB for a prescription for ambien. It helped me sleep a little - but even then the sleep was fitful because the pain was in the back of my mind. I hope you find something that works! And hopefully you don't have too much longer to go!
  • Options
    Ugh, that sounds like it totally sucks. I think you just have to keep yourself busy and distracted as best you can... get outside a lot, go for long walks (which will help better position baby as a bonus), bake yummy things, call family members and have a long chat, etc, etc. The more you think about it, the more you'll feel sorry for yourself and exhausted by the whole thing. 

This is my second as well and my midwife was just telling me today that the beginning of labour with #2 is usually way different than it was with #1, and she basically told me to expect exactly what you just described. She recommended having long baths and/or showers to cope and relax, and she also said that one of the sure signs that you are actually in labor is if the warm water doesn't slow or ease the contractions. She also said that second time moms often don't fall into that 4-1-1 contraction time table they give you with #1, and that I should call her as soon as I'm just aware that the contractions are getting more intense and/OR more frequent. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Well I've had the normal BH since 16 weeks, but I've had prodromal labour since 36 weeks. The worst episode was on Monday while we were moving my MIL. My false labour contractions have been irregular and 6-20min apart. But on Monday they were 7min apart then progressed to every 2min apart. I am 40weels 3 days today. I just want this to be over.
    Ugh!! Sounds totally miserable and very similar to what I'm describing... what have you been doing to cope? I think having been constantly worried about having another preemie and feeling like I would go early really is such a mindfuck now that I'm moving into term territory. I need to readjust my expectations and be prepared to go to 41 weeks plus.
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    haziedaze said:

Ugh!! Sounds totally miserable and very similar to what I'm describing... what have you been doing to cope? I think having been constantly worried about having another preemie and feeling like I would go early really is such a mindfuck now that I'm moving into term territory. I need to readjust my expectations and be prepared to go to 41 weeks plus.

For the most part I've been trying to ignore the contractions. I wasn't able to ignore Mondays episode since dear old MIL decided she had to move the day before my EDD. Followed by "how do you know you aren't in labour?" Which I didn't respond to, as much as I wanted to tell MIL I wasn't leaving a snail trail or shitting my brains out. (My husbands family has all had electic c/s w/o labouring so they are all clueless). DD came at 40and2, but now I'm staring down the VBAC roulette barrel. I'm afraid to complain because i am more scared of RCS than anything, especially since DH has to return to work a week after the baby comes.

• Options
    @WifeofaComposer‌ -

That's exactly what I went through - it was soooo much worse at night. In the morning I'd feel *almost* better and then it would start all over again in the late afternoon, progressively getting worse through the night. Ditto with the BMs.

Mine started at 34 weeks and I had no idea it was contractions. I thought I ate something that upset my bowels or something. Looking back I feel kind of silly about that, but I truly had no idea.

• Options
    @WifeofaComposer
    Yes! Nights are the worst. Mine starts to pick up like 4-6pm and then is really bad after 8pm or so when I'm getting DS down. Last night I got a break from the 1am-4am insomnia/contraction hell, so I'm going to keep going with the unisom for now and see if that works. I seriously think it will be the most ironic thing ever if after months of contractions, worry, 17P, and bedrest I end up needing to be induced, but I won't be surprised. I had 5 hours of contractions every 2-3 mins at 33weeks and was long/closed/posterior. It's total torture when your cervix has a different plan than your irritable ute.

So sorry for those of you facing RCS, that must just add to the anxiety/torture. OK... off to get a mani/pedi and eat some chocolate. At least I get to enjoy not being on bedrest for a while!
  • Options
    Lots of time not he yoga ball. Including on my knees leaning over it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @MissWhis - I also thought I'd eaten something that didn't agree with me, at first. It's funny how we automatically blame something else before we realize it's legit.  :D

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Options
    Its reassuring to know so many women are going through the same stuff. Im sorry all you ladies are in the same situation as me! For coping methods i usually take a bath, have a glass of wine, sit on a birth ball, or pace the house. Ive also been taking benedryl to get some sleep on the nights im up past two. We want to be rested for when its actually go time!

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    @WifeofaComposer‌ I'm the exact same way. I could have written the same words- it's so horrible. Thankfully I found out today I've progressed from a fingertip to 2cm, but I'm not effaced at all and his head needs to come down farther. And it's just 2 cm. I was so frustrated and explained to the doctor how I feel like the contractions are getting me nowhere and he swore they were helpful and that he thinks I'll be in full blown labor in the next few days. I'm sure he was just trying to make me feel better. I'm 40w tomorrow and been dealing with this since 37 weeks. Sucks so bad, and I think a support group is a great idea because people give me the "you poor thing" bullshit and I feel like they think I'm just a typical pregnant lady that's tired. They don't get it. At all. Only my husband does because he sees it first hand. I'm so glad to have this thread because it made me realize I'm not crazy!
    @adheaton1387 - Precisely this. My husband is always defending me because he's the one helping me every night. I'm supposed to be rehearsing for our current production that opens a month from tomorrow (rehearsals are 4 nights a week and Saturday mornings/afternoons), and I haven't been to any rehearsals for 2 weeks. People have been complaining, saying that I'm "just being lazy" and "it can't be that bad" - my husband is still going to rehearsals, and he's always telling those people they have no idea what they're talking about. He's so good to me.  :x

(((HUGS))) to you for going through this, too. Hugs to everyone here who needs them!!

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    So reading this I've realized it's time to start having a glass of wine at night. I did it when I was pregnant with my son because I did have anything else to keep the contractions at bay (no 17P, nifedipine, bedrest like this time). I've kinda avoided it because I was on so many meds. Now I'm off everything so bring on the WINE! <-- this will also be a fun way to kill some time tomorrow
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If anyone is interested, a friend of my DH (and he's my friend, too) set up a support page on Facebook last night, after I talked with him about everything that's been going on. I would love for all of you to join it, if you'd like. You'll all learn my real name, and at this point, I'm okay with that.

ETA: It's called "Prodromal Labor Support Group"

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    @ImnAtari - If you're willing, I'd love to have you share your experience on Facebook. I'm going to add mine and some information this afternoon.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    Thanks for this thread ladies! I'm glad to know that I am not the only one experiencing this. My mom suggested a pedi to help me relax and not be so frustrated.
  • Options
    As much as it sucks, I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this, and I realize now that I really can't complain.  I've been having contractions for the past four days and I'm worried they'll continue for another week or so before actually advancing to anything - I can't imagine dealing with contractions since second trimester!  You ladies are superheros.  It definitely seems like they follow a pattern for me, tapering off during the night and then getting stronger/more frequent throughout the day.  They get to the point at nighttime that they're five minutes apart pretty steadily, but then they space out again while I'm sleeping.

Hopefully all of us with inside babies and all of this pseudo-labor crap go into active labor soon so we can meet our little ones!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When I was having the contractions a hot bath helped me a lot.
  • Options
    @WifeofaComposer I can't seem to find the group.

Had another tough night with contractions waking me up at 1045, 1145, 1245 then I was up until 330am. Pure torture. In the beginning they were very intense waking me out of my deep unisom induced sleep, then they were just crampy with no clear beginning and end and I was laying there willing them to get stronger. Gah!

I found this helpful to read:
  • Options
    ImnAtari said:
    invite me woac!
    @ImnAtari - I don't know how...I'm kind of derp when it comes to stuff like that. I have an option to invite people by email, but I don't understand how to use that function, either. A couple of people have sent me requests to join. Do you get that option?

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    haziedaze said:
    @WifeofaComposer I can't seem to find the group.

Had another tough night with contractions waking me up at 1045, 1145, 1245 then I was up until 330am. Pure torture. In the beginning they were very intense waking me out of my deep unisom induced sleep, then they were just crampy with no clear beginning and end and I was laying there willing them to get stronger. Gah!

I found this helpful to read:
    @haziedaze - For some reason, links aren't working on The Bump right now. I'll send you a private message on here with my Facebook information, and you can probably find the page through me.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    @ImnAtari - I figured it out, and I added you!!  :D

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    I still can't find the group on fb! Boo! How are you ladies doing? I know a few have had their sweet babies- anybody else still cooking?

I'm 40w 3 days now. We went to the hospital yesterday because I was contracting much stronger and closer together than my prodromal contractions, but I was only dilated to a 2 (womp, womp) so they sent me home. Now we are waiting for them to get more painful to try and get my cervix to dilate and efface. I haven't thinned AT ALL so I'm wondering if we won't end up being induced. I have an appt Thursday to schedule it if needed.

Hope y'all are coping well and hanging in there! I have good moments and bad moments but am trying to stay relaxed and encourage the oxytocin. :)
  • Options
    I had BH in week 27 and dr suggested I bounce on a gym ball or have a warm deep bath, but I was shocked that when my time came I had no signs of early labour what so ever!!
    Hope you have found some coping strategies.
  • Options
    I've been dealing with BH since 24 wks....doc says I just work entirely too hard, but hasn't restricted me at all. Lately, I have been feelin them more frequently, but there is no pain, cramping, etc along with them. I'm approaching 39wks and am ready to "shit or get off the pot."
  • Options
    I still can't find the group on fb! Boo! How are you ladies doing? I know a few have had their sweet babies- anybody else still cooking? I'm 40w 3 days now. We went to the hospital yesterday because I was contracting much stronger and closer together than my prodromal contractions, but I was only dilated to a 2 (womp, womp) so they sent me home. Now we are waiting for them to get more painful to try and get my cervix to dilate and efface. I haven't thinned AT ALL so I'm wondering if we won't end up being induced. I have an appt Thursday to schedule it if needed. Hope y'all are coping well and hanging in there! I have good moments and bad moments but am trying to stay relaxed and encourage the oxytocin. :)
    @adheaton1837 - I just sent you a link.  :)

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Let's see if my link will work now:

ETA: of course it didn't.  :(

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Grr...image

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Options
    I guess I can link it in private messages, though. If anyone wants to join the Facebook group, let me know, and I'll send you a link by private message.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"