September 2013 Moms
Options

Getting ready in the morning

DS will not play by himself, he wants to be held at all times. This has made getting ready in the morning really tough on days he gets up when I do. What does everyone else do with LO while you are getting ready (although I have a feeling most of you have babies that don't mind playing on a floor mat or in a jumper for 30 minutes!)

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

Re: Getting ready in the morning

• Options
    I started getting up earlier to get ready, and forgoing my morning ritual of enjoying coffee and quiet time alone.  That worked for about 2 days.  LO must know that I am getting up earlier and therefore, she is getting up earlier too.  No advice, it takes me 1.5-2 hours to get ready in the am now:(
  • Options
    I am still using the RNP in the bathroom while I get ready.  He likes to watch me.  I have a few toys that I keep in there for him to play with. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD almost always wakes up at the same time as me. No matter how quiet I am, I can't seem to sneak past her. But after an initial diaper change and bottle, she is usually content to hang out in her crib for 15-20 minutes. I leave the lights and a radio on, and I pop in every five minutes or so to make funny faces and tickle her.

If I'm quick, I can feed the dog, get dressed, and take out the trash before she needs me. On a good day I might even be able to squeeze in a shower (the bathroom is right next to her room, so I can hear her if she cries).
  • Options
    She sits in her bouncer for most of the time. When she starts getting fussy I either sit her on the counter in the bumbo (with me right behind her) or dress her. Then she'll play in her bouncer some more. I also have several toys I can change out when she gets bored.
  • Options
    Glad to hear I am not alone! I was comparing to two of my friends' babies that were born about a week earlier so I was starting to think that was the norm! I will try the RNP and toys combo. Hopefully he will want to play more when he can sit unassisted.

• Options
    I stick him in his crib with a couple toys when he's just eaten and been changed. If he fusses, at least I know it's boredom and not genuine hunger or dirty diaper. He's usually pretty good about letting me shower and blow dry my hair without having a breakdown. I usually stick him in his swing or exersaucer while I do makeup on a portable mirror near him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I bring the rocking chair in the bathroom and If she's fed and changed and just crying to be held I let her cry(whine) while I get ready. She has a toy bar and I usually give her another toy to play with so it's up to her to figure out a way to entertain herself. I do talk to her while I get ready and sometimes that helps. I'm in the same boat with a baby who constantly wants to be held, even then she's fussy so things have been challenging. If her dad is home it's so much easier, I get him to just lay in bed and play with her & that gives me about 15 minutes to get ready.
  • Options
    DD has been sleeping in her own room for a week and a half now so some mornings I'm able to get up without her hearing me  :-O On those that she wakes before me I change her and feed her and she will sometimes give me a few minutes in the swing with a toy or her exersaucer. I quickly get ready and almost always end up packing my lunch and her milk with her on my hip. 
  • Options
    I get ready really fast but there are still 2-3 days per week that I am running around getting ready while she cries in her swing/jumperoo/playmat.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    I use the sit up & play by FP for DD & she plays & watches me or the tv. She hates being reclined back now that she's sitting up but then again I sit her in her chair so I don't have to worry she's toppling over. She's loves to watch me brush my hair out. Lol

• Options
    If LO is still asleep when I'm getting ready I put on the white noise machine right next to her to drown out my movements. If she's awake when I'm up I put her in the RnP where she can see me. If that doesn't work I'm just screwed lol.
  • Options

The RnP used to work for us until DS realized that he could get out of it. Even if he's strapped in, he will go out of his way to rock it back and forth so hard that I'm afraid he'll flip the thing over.

So now, if I need to be somewhere at a certain time in the morning for a meeting or something (I'm a salaried worker so on most days it doesn't matter if I come in a few minutes late because I'll just end up staying later) I have to get up while DS is still asleep. He usually wakes up around 4:00 or 5:00am to eat and then fall back asleep so I'll feed him, put him back to bed, and get ready for work. Then I get to sit around until he wakes up and entertain him until I'm out the door.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Hope you don't mind me skipping onto this board my little girl was born on Aug. 26th so I lurk on here. Do you have a doorway jumper? I am by myself in the morning my husband leaves at 5am I leave at 8am and I have my 27 month old and my girl. I find she likes to be in the doorway jumper just so she can see me she also wants to be held all the time right now but this seems to work. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jchytil said:
    Hope you don't mind me skipping onto this board my little girl was born on Aug. 26th so I lurk on here. Do you have a doorway jumper? I am by myself in the morning my husband leaves at 5am I leave at 8am and I have my 27 month old and my girl. I find she likes to be in the doorway jumper just so she can see me she also wants to be held all the time right now but this seems to work. 

This would have been a good option in our apartment but we just moved in with my ILs and I try to keep him as quiet as possible since I get ready before FIL, SIL and BIL get up.  If he started crying in the hall bathroom as opposed to in our room it would be really loud. 

This morning I turned on some Baby Einstein radio and gave him his favorite toy so I got a few extra minutes out of him!

• Options
    Have you tired wearing LO in a moby or sling? It's the only way I get things done.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I bring his bouncer chair into the bathroom and he plays in that while I shower. Then I lay him on my bed while getting ready in there. I give him toys, turn on the ceiling fan and sometimes use the TV to distract him.
  • Options
    We do the RnP/toy combo or most of the time DH plays with her while I get ready. Then I take her to daycare and DH does his morning stuff after we leave. 

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"