October 2012 Moms

iPad and iPhone Weaning

ZiegefickerZiegeficker member
edited April 2014 in October 2012 Moms
So I am one of those parents guilty of setting up my iPad with some cartoons for Henry to watch when we go out to eat.  I don't really feel bad for it as it secures us with some peace and quiet to eat our meal, but I don't want him to continue expecting that we'll set up movies for him to watch during outings as he gets older.

Does anyone who does this now also plan to "wean" their child from the portable screen at some point?  And if so, have you thought about how you might go about it?  I'm worried I've set myself up for a huge issue later, but as Henry becomes more verbal and communicative, I don't want him relying on iPads and movies for entertainment or to keep him from losing his shit in public.

I wonder if having a younger sibling will complicate this process or perhaps make it easier since maybe they'll entertain each other (most likely with punches)...
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: iPad and iPhone Weaning

• I am also guilty with letting Wesley watch Puppy on the Kindle when we are out to eat.  I usually don't bring out the kindle until near the end after he has eaten his food and we are finishing up.  I try and have him color a little bit or eat some crackers while waiting for his food first.  And then Puppy is a treat after for eating his food. Does he like to color? Most restaurants have crayons for the kids to color with.  Over the weekend Wesley was occupied for atleast half an hour by taking all the sugar packets out and putting them back in. I'm not super worried right now about the Kindle but maybe in a few years.

• @StefanieM522, Henry isn't into coloring yet.  He tries to eat the crayons or throws them on the floor.  I think part of the problem with eating out in particular is that Henry is so picky that not a lot of time (if any) on his part is spent on eating.  And given that he's such an active child, he's not keen on sitting still for very long...unless we have the iPad.  At home, he will entertain himself for long stretches of time with toys, but I can't count on him to do that on command no matter what toys we bring out for him. 

• Loading the player...
  • Wesley just started coloring (scribbling) about a month ago and now he thinks its way cool.  I'm sure it will be short lived for him though!

• mmnumber5 said:
    K colors and usually we go places that have bread or we order an appetizer and he loves food. We take books too. He is better if daddy is with him. The phone is always our last hope.
    The iPad is always our last ditch effort to calm him down, too, but -- lol -- we seem to pull it out pretty early into the meal most times.  We of course try other toys and distractions first.

• When we take the kids out we have never use iPhone or pad. Ds1 doesn't even ask for it. If it is something you want to stop I would stop using it out sooner then later. It is easier to do when they are younger. Also dh and I don't use are phones when we are out at dinner.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We had to cut out the ipad, iphone, and tv cold turkey because Leo was OBSESSED. he would tantrum if we didn't let him watch things when he asked (and he was watching maybe 20 minutes of tv a day, and then maybe a few videos of himself on our phones). So we cut it cold turkey. Now he very occasionally (maybe 1x a week) gets to watch 1 10 minute episode or 1 video of himself on our phones. HOwever, if we were out in public and he was melting down I would use a video, no question. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • I love that Elmo naps all day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wesley has called my mom a few times from my phone when he finds it, if I have forgotten to put it up where he can't reach it. 

• This afternoon T took the ipad from me, closed it and gave me a book. Oops.
  • We don't have iphones (gasp, can you believe that?) and I don't bring my ipad out to restaurants for sure.  We only eat out for lunch, which works well for us right now b/c DS is still on a 2-nap schedule.  We pick places that we know have fast service (eg, ethnic places) and no wait.  If we order appetizers, we ask the food to come out all at once instead of wait-app-wait-entree.  DS doesn't color - he eats crayons or throws them on the floor - but he tends to do okay just watching other people.  I try to position his high chair that he gets to see all the action.  Otherwise, a plastic spoon or fork can keep him entertained until the food arrives.  I always pack a bowl of his favorite fruits and they are my last resort.

Lately, he gets so distracted by looking around that it takes him longer to eat his meal than DH & I.  We almost have to hurry him up so that we're not taking up a table esp if there is a wait.

DS gets minimal iPad time - during Facetime w/my parents 1x/week, and during nail clipping 1x/week (I put on either videos of himself or a FP app).  He gets zero TV time.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Hmmm...well I wish my kid was as easily entertained or calmed as many of yours.  What a bummer.  Although we never let him play with our phone, I'll play the iPad thing by ear.  Maybe when he learns to enjoy something like coloring we can take it away without him noticing too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"