Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Moms who feed LO table food-- Advice?

I've heard some moms on here talk about feeding their LO's table food (basically, what you're eating) and I'm hoping to get some tips. LO is 8 months and we've been trying to transition her from purees and cereal to food of a little more substance. However, I'm concerned that the fact I use salt and spices in my cooking (not to mention that we usually eat pretty late) will be bad for her. I've started her on more mild stuff-- cheerios, minced fruits, regular oatmeal. But I'd love to be able to make a dish and share it with her (after finely chopping it up, of course). My pedi wasn't very helpful-- just saying she can eat anything but honey and extra salt, cut up everything to smaller than a cheerio.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Moms who feed LO table food-- Advice?

• Options
    The concept of them eating what you eat is over simplified :)  Basically it just means not baby food because of course there are things you wouldn't feed them (but not as much as you think!).  You don't have to feed them THAT day's dinner if you eat late - you can feed them leftovers from the night before.  If you roast veggies, leave some aside without salt, for example.  You also don't have to chop everything.  French fry shaped food is actually best for them because they can hold it and gnaw on the end.

What kinds of things do you make that you think you can't feed?  There are probably ways to still share that stuff :)  Mostly, keep lots of fruit and veggies on hand, cheese sticks, etc. and give them what's appropriate from your meal.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    elmoali said:
    The concept of them eating what you eat is over simplified :)  Basically it just means not baby food because of course there are things you wouldn't feed them (but not as much as you think!).  You don't have to feed them THAT day's dinner if you eat late - you can feed them leftovers from the night before.  If you roast veggies, leave some aside without salt, for example.  You also don't have to chop everything.  French fry shaped food is actually best for them because they can hold it and gnaw on the end.

What kinds of things do you make that you think you can't feed?  There are probably ways to still share that stuff :)  Mostly, keep lots of fruit and veggies on hand, cheese sticks, etc. and give them what's appropriate from your meal.
    Thanks so much! We make a lot of pasta, rice/quinoa, spicy sausage, eggs with tomatoes and onions, bbq chicken, and roasted veggies. And duh, I should have realized that if I just leave out the salt on the roasted veggies, she can eat them! I feel silly.

I just worry about choking hazards. I gave her some orange slices as a snack, like I saw in a previous post, and she started gagging on them! We freaked out! So I'll use "french fry" size as a new rule of thumb.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gagging is good :)  Gagging is their body's way of saying "Hold up!" and it's what keeps them from choking so don't let it freak you out.  It helps them learn and might happen a LOT.  Choking is silent so you watch for that.  Most everything you listed is ok.  Pasta, rice and quinoa absolutely.  Spicy sausage probably not and the eggs are fine but you'll have to see how she reacts to onions and tomatoes (might cause raw bum but isn't inherently dangerous).  BBQ chicken is also fine and is usually really tender so it's a great food :)

My guy just turned 10 months but for the last two months he's eaten waffles, pancakes, toast, meats, veggies, fruits, pasta, cheeses, etc.  
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Spices are fine for baby. Limit salt and sugar, but you can offer spices if you want. For example, E had his first taco around 7 or 8 months. Instead of using salty packaged taco seasoning, we added just a bit of chili powder to the meat, plus shredded cheese and tortillas to eat. 

Pasta dishes are some of his favorite. Chicken parm- cutting the chicken into long strips so it's easy for him to grip and then some spaghetti or other noodles. 

cutting up smaller than a cheerio is hard if baby doesn't have a good pincer grasp yet. The advice on gagging above is what we found comforting- gagging means he is preventing choking and learning how to manage it. Just keep in mind that you putting your finger into baby's mouth to get food out is actually a choking risk. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS & DD got the same spice/flavors we get. It's never been a problem. When in doubt set aside some that is unseasoned & you can add a tiny but as you go if they give you grief over it being too plain.

Just to say, other cultures with seasoning as the norm (Indian & African for example) just feed their kids the same. In my observation & experience it's never been an issue.

DS & DD love curries, Ethiopian & Egyptian food. Lately Greek food has been moving DS to elation. Moar cucumber sauce & lamb! ;)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I just wanted to thank all the moms on here! You gave me the courage to try her out on some great new foods. Last night, she had the same meal as mom and dad (in small portions): ground turkey lightly seasoned with garlic, cumin, and onion; sweet potatoes; and steamed artichoke! She loved it! Today was a bit of minestrone soup and some tiny pieces of turkey. I'll be away on a girls weekend Saturday night, so I left my SO with a great list of ideas from you all. We'll see how he does!

Thank you all again!!!
  • Options
    https://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/infant-finger-food.html

This page has the awesome baby chicken finger recipe I use (H loves them, too) as well as some other good baby recipes. I make the chicken fingers (or something similar with ground beef) in big batches, cook them, then freeze them and keep them in the freezer for times she can't eat what we are having or is eating without us.

Glad to hear table food is working for you. Have fun!
    That link is great. Thank you for posting!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"