Preemies

Low Sodium

Colton's sodium level has been going down despite being on sodium supplements. The doctors aren't sure why his sodium is decreasing. They are going to discuss this with his kidney doctors to see if it could be related to his kidney issue (Unilateral Multicystic Dysplastic Kidney).  I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with low sodium and if so did it affect your LO long term? I did some googling (really should stay away from google) and it didn't reassure me.

Lilypie - (4j0O)

Follow us at Caring Bridge 

Re: Low Sodium

• My DD had type 2 tubular acidosis. Which is a kidney / sodium problem. They gave her sodium and within 2 weeks the issue resolved it self.
  • We dealt with this.  Is he on diuretics?  My daughter was just super sensitive to the diuretics and her sodiums were all over the place.  She was never able to get on aldactone & diurel regularly so they just continued to use lasix as necessary.  She also has kidney stones and that seemed to make her labs all wonky too.  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the replies ladies!
    _
    I was able to be there this morning during rounds so I was able to talk to his doctor directly which was reassuring. His sodium went up to 135 which is still on the low end of normal but his doctor doesn't seem overly concerned. They are going to keep giving him sodium and watching him closely.

Colton isn't on diuretics. Is there a way they check for kidney stones? He hasn't had an issues with his urine output and seems comfortable when he goes.

Lilypie - (4j0O)

Follow us at Caring Bridge 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"