Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Made my own baby food. Baby threw up when he tried it.

I tasted it and thought it tasted great. But when DH tried to give LO some sweet potatoes I roasted for him, he gagged and literally threw up his bottle. I guess this won't be the first time he tells me he doesn't like my cooking...

So I'm trying to figure out what LO doesn't like about the sweet potatoes I made since he's loved the prepackaged sweet potatoes I've given him before. The batch I made I mashed rather than pureed, and it was a little thicker, so I think I just need to puree in the blender and add some more water? Anyone have experience with making baby food and how thin/pureed it needs to be?
image    BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Made my own baby food. Baby threw up when he tried it.

• Options
    I'm sorry but I did giggle a little when I read this. You mentioned he threw up his bottle. Did he drink his bottle before or after the sweet potatoes? Or were the potatoes in the bottle?

When I made sp's I peeled 2, cut them into chunks and then boiled them. Once they were totally cooled off I put potatoes and the water they were boiled in all in the blender to puree. 

Maybe your LO just didn't like the roasted flavor?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I would probably try thinning them out, hopefully that will help.

Rylan 1/27/2011, 2:42 pm, 5lbs 12oz, 18.5 inches long
     Ayla 10/02/2013, 10:14 am, 6lbs 14oz, 19.25 inches long
    Missed Miscarriage 6w3d 3/02/2010
    I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto on thinning them out but don't be bothered if he never seems to "move up" to chunkier purees.  Lots of kids struggle to wrap their brains around stuff coming on a spoon that they need to chew since they're used to almost slurping it.  When you feel ready, give him a sweet potato "fry" and let him learn about chewing :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I think mine out with prune juice or BM because LO is constipated.  

• Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    edited April 2014
    TREDgirl, no worries! DH and I were cracking up (and so was LO) as we were cleaning up the puke.

The bottle was before the sweet potatoes. DH gave him the bottle and LO still seemed hungry so I suggested DH give him some of the fresh sweet potatoes I just mashed. 

I'll puree it tonight with some more water. I hope the pears and squash I made and already froze are not too chunky!
  • Options
    He could have just been too full...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I baked my sweet potatoes and puréed them with breastmilk and my LO still gags and throws up when I try to feed her sweet potatoes.. I've never tried the jarred kind so I don't know what the difference would be.

I'm going to guess like PP said, he was probably too full. Maybe try again a half an hour or an hour after his bottle.
  • Options
    I thinned and pureed the potatoes quite a bit and he tentatively ate them. Still wasn't that interested. 

And the first time I gave LO chicken he gagged and gave me this miserable "this is gross" face, then wouldn't open his mouth for anymore. I'll wait just a bit longer to try chicken again. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"