Potty Training

Potty chair or potty seat?

I haven't started potty training yet, but I've been looking into it and was wondering which works better; a separate potty chair or a potty seat that attaches to the toilet?
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Potty chair or potty seat?

• There are pros and cons to both, and I think it depends partially on the child.

The pros of a potty chair are that younger, smaller kids can get on it independently (my 22 month old goes to the potty on her own when she has to go 100% of the time, but will not tell us ahead of time or tolerate being put on the potty to 'try') and you can bring it into any room with you, or to the backyard, or put it in your car when you're at a park with bathrooms that are far away. Having it in the same room you are playing in can be a helpful reminder to go and make it easier for them to get there on time.

The cons are that cleaning poop out of a potty chair is gross and they have to learn to use the real toilet eventually.

So, based on my experience, a potty chair could be better for a younger, smaller, more independent child. We also did the '3 day method', which requires a potty chair.

But another big factor is motivation- if your kid is excited by using the real toilet like mom and dad, go with that. If it takes having a gaudy plastic Elmo potty chair that makes sounds in your living room to get your kid interested, it's worth it.
    baby girl  5.12
  • We have both at my house and my DS picks which one he wants to use. For him being able to pick and be in control of something makes him want to go more often. The potty chair we have is a step stool when closed so either one he picks he can do it "by himself".

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"