March 2014 Moms

Only Producing Milk on One Side

I have had various issues with breastfeeding since LO has been born.  Finally got most of it figured out, decided pumping was the answer, and now in the past few days my right boob has basically quit producing anything!  At first I thought it was due to some pretty severe scabbing I had on that side from LO, that maybe they were blocking the milk from coming out, but the scabs have fallen off and still nothing.  When I pump on that side I get maybe a teaspoon?  I used to get a full ounce.  Now it just comes out in tiny drops and then stops completely.  On the left side I'm able to get about an ounce each time, which is half a bottle for LO, so I am supplementing with formula.  I've tried changing my diet (healthier than ever), making sure I'm eating enough calories and drinking enough water, and hot compresses before pumping - no results.  I'm going to call the lactation center tomorrow, where I got help initially, but am wondering if anyone else has had this happen?  Did the milk eventually come back?  I'm just so sad and getting frustrated.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Only Producing Milk on One Side

• How often are you pumpin, and for how long?
  • @farmboyswife - my breasts were engorged last week, around 4 days PP, and it lasted about two days. They're back to "normal" now. A lot softer than I thought they'd be (I've never bf before).

@ProudMommy030614‌ - I aim for pumping every 3 hours. Sometimes it's a little sooner, and sometimes a little later (like when we can get a stretch of sleep overnight). It used to take about 45 minutes to pump, now it's only about 15/20.
  • Loading the player...
  • You may have a clog. Try massaging the breast, putting a heat pack on it and lecithin helps too
  • I try to pump after nursing the twins but there is not usually much left. I found it helpful to run through 2 cycles of the letdown phase on my pump (pisa) then continue to pump and I'll get some more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• All of the pp :) you could also try to pump every 2 hours instead of 3.
  • No specific advice to offer, since I'm new at this low supply/trying to pump and supplement thing too, but my one breast consistently produces only half the amount of milk that the other "good" breast puts out. The lactation consult said that if there are no clogged ducts or lumpy areas left in that underachiever breast after a full pumping session it has probably been fully emptied and that it's not uncommon for women to get more milk out of one breast.
  • You may be having let down issues. Often for me, one boob lets down and the milk is flowing and the other boob has no milk. So I have to push the reset button on my pump, sometimes for two additional cycles, so my other boob can catch up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for all the advice and input, ladies. I spoke to my LC today and she recommended certain herbs, and also to pump the empty boob for a good 15 minutes before switching sides (I usually get frustrated and quit before then). I'm still not getting more than a teaspoon on that side, but the good news is I'm up to two ounces on the other side, so maybe the "good" side is making up for what the other lacks? At any rate, I plan to keep up the pumping and pray that either the right side starts magically producing or the left keeps making more. To those of you having the same issue: good luck! I hope we all start flowing a little more freely :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"