Babies: 9 - 12 Months

No juice?

I get so sick of hearing other moms say they would never give their babies juice, all while handing their baby a piece of cookie, or some other junk food. I keep my mouth shut, but am I missing something? This happens at the play dates we attend. I don't give my baby juice, but I'm not against it, just would rather give her whole foods.
Our baby girl waves hello! Due in June!

Re: No juice?

• ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
    edited April 2014
    I'm not anti juice or anti cookies but I think part of the issue is that a cookie can fulfill a feeling of hunger but consuming the same number of calories in a juice won't accomplish the same thing so they'll end up always wanting a snack.  At least, that's the reason Weight Watchers doesn't allow liquified fruit lol  I think all things in moderation are fine but juice certainly shouldn't be their main source of hydration just like cookies aren't an all the time snack.

Also - I don't actually give the baby either of these things at this point because he has enough fun trying better new foods.  But he has a big brother who has shared an Oreo with him and I wasn't about to stop that cuteness.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I'm in the no juice camp. My 3.5 year old only gets juice for special occasions or if she needs a little help pooping. No more than 4oz at any time and it's rare. The baby has gotten no juice at all. For drinks they get milk or water. I'd rather them drink something healthy than sugary juice. If they want fruit I give them fruit.

I also don't give cookies out either. I pack healthy snacks with me when we go out and their water bottles.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never allowed juice for my children. One of my adopted sons has stained rotting teeth because of juice from his birth mother. He has had to have a ton of dental work.

Juice is worse than a lot of candy.
    My children eat sweets in strict moderation.
  • I'm in the no juice camp. My 3.5 year old only gets juice for special occasions or if she needs a little help pooping. No more than 4oz at any time and it's rare. The baby has gotten no juice at all. For drinks they get milk or water. I'd rather them drink something healthy than sugary juice. If they want fruit I give them fruit.

I also don't give cookies out either. I pack healthy snacks with me when we go out and their water bottles.

All of this! I didn't give DD juice until she was 22 months and that was because she was constipated. I don't keep cookies, candy, etc in the house but if we are at a party then I let her have a taste.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • jlpevjlpev member
    Dd is 10 months & hasnt had any juice yet except the time she got ds's cup. I do give her a popsickle or cookie every once in a while. She sees her brother eating & wants it too. Ds, 3 yr old gets watered down juice about every day. Its like 95% water. I brush his teeth twice a day & floss every other day. He drinks out of a regular cup unless hes in the car. I just go with the flow of things.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I guess it just seems silly to be so anti juice and then give out candy. The worst I saw was a lollipop given to an anti juice baby. We let LO practice brushing her teeth daily. I think if I were to ever offer juice, I'd back it up with water after.

And at 9 months, I sure as heck am not worried about calorie intake. I'm happy when she decides she wants to try a food!
    Our baby girl waves hello! Due in June!
  • meh, i give my son juice at breakfast and have since he was 12 months old. somewhere around 18 months we stopped worrying about it be cut to 50% with water. he is healthy and has not issues with is teeth or weight at age 4 years. i may be a little more cautious with my 10 month old daughter, but, won't not give it to her at all. all things in moderation seems to be reasonable approach to me (and not giving it at all seems just unreasonable).

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS has had juice since he was a toddler, I stopped diluting it when he was about 3. He's 7 and is tall, thin, and very healthy. DD who is 16m gets diluted juice a couple times a week. If she gets it more often her poo gets nasty. But... There is no pop allowed. MIL always tries to give DS coke, he refuses. DH let him have orange pop once, he'd be thrilled if he could have that! I do occasionally let him have an orange pop for a special treat, a few times a year.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I am a no juice Mama.  But that is processed juice.  I am going to start juicing again, I think i have time if I wake up in the morning early enough.  I am thinking of giving LO some of that juice to see if she likes it.  She has not had any sweets yet and I hope to keep it that way.  Might be hard because I am addicted to Chocolate.  Only time will tell

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"