Potty Training

Elimination Communication

I'm wondering if any one on this site does this? I love it! I can't imagine trying to start training my two year old right now. She is so full rebellion!

Re: Elimination Communication

• I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you do EC & love it & looking to connect with other mothers or are you interested in doing EC on your 2 year old?

I have not EC however after researching it off and on over the years I find it very interesting & has numerous good points to it. Its pure laziness on my part that I never did it. However since your child is 2 they are capable of being PT, EC is more for infants, however some start late at 10-12 months old. Usually past 16 months they encourage potty training. We PT our kids between 15-17 months old. It's always been easy & we've done it at that time to avoid the "no phase" that starts @20 months. If your LO is rebellioning you may want that to wait a bit. Give her some responsibilities liking setting the table, loading the dishwasher, etc things to make her feel like a big kid and feel she has more independence then work on PT.
  • I'm saying I do EC and love it and I'd like to connect with other mothers! She is fully potty trained during the day and she was at night too but she's teething now so night time is on hold. I started EC at 3 months and hopefully I'll start at birth with this baby. When I looked on this site about EC it was full of nastiness so I thought maybe if I could get a better thread going about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's a shame people were nasty about it! I think its great. I honestly think people misunderstand and don't realize that even infants know its not natural to go in diapers. People give us a hard time when they find out our kids are fully PT at 15 months and I try to explain that it was easy and why.

I'm currently expecting now & have thought about doing it. We typically CD. Did you do EC fulltime or parttime? My kids do daycare 6 days out of the month so I was wondering if it would be confusing for the baby to be in diapers a few hours a day 6 days a month.
  • I would think full time, but mostly for the entire time I kept her in diapers. I don't think it's confusing to them at all. When I worked at a day care they were pretty good about taking kids to the bathroom that were willing anyway. For a long while my girl's grandma didn't want to do the EC thing and would let her wet her diaper, but after awhile my girl made it apparent to grandma she wanted to use the toilet.
  • LC122LC122 member
    We did EC, or a variation thereof. So, maybe you call it part-time? My girls wear/wore diapers but from very early on, I put them on the potty and used a vocal cue.
    The diapers were there in case I missed a signal from them but we would just take them off, sit them on the potty and if the diaper was still dry, put it back on. Saved a fortune on diapers and we weren't/aren't constantly cleaning up "misses".
    I think a huge benefit is getting them used to the potty itself and using it so that as they get older and more capable of using it independently, there is no fear or power struggle.
    We just approached it as win-win. Using the potty is awesome, sometimes diapers happen.
    My completely potty-trained toddler makes it all worth it.
  • dmhrn13dmhrn13 member
    I used it starting at 6 months & DD would pee in the potty 3-4 times a day & poop, once or twice a week. But, once she could walk, she always resisted sitting on the potty & stopping do it. I didn't want to push it, so I stopped making her sit on the potty & I totally regret it! She's 18 months old, wants to be changed as soon as she poops & I refuses to pee on the potty.  She cues me when I pee, so I know her stinkin' butt knows whats up!
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am pregnant now and reading lots of books on EC. I plan on EC'ing full time from as soon as possible. I think it's a fantastic idea and the more I research the more it makes sense to me. Sorry I don't have any advice yet. But I can recommend 'The Diaper Free Baby' is what I'm reading at the moment. They have chapters about starting kids past infancy. Hope that helps!
  • We do it! Have since about 2 weeks. Before she was here I figured I would wait until she could sit up on the potty but then realized why wait. She would pee every time we removed the diaper so clearly she would rather not soil herself. We would just put her on at every change/ other times as often as we could. Now at 8 mos, she poops on the potty way more odten than in diapers...shes pretty "regular" so every morning and maybe another time during the day. Still lots of pee diapers because she pees so frequently, but I figure at a minimum she's comfortable on the potty and it will be NBD when we go to PT 100%. We are amazed at how well it has gone so far. I read the diaper free baby book and figured give it a shot... it's been more successful than I ever expected!
  • Ok so what exactly is EC? I'm working on potty training my 22 month old right now, but am expecting baby #2 in september and have heard bits and pieces of early toilet training ideas.