Parenting
Options

Religious discussion?

So this is a pretty tame question, but it seems like some people wanted to talk about religion, and I really do have a question, so here:

When you hear or use the word "religious," do you automatically assume (or mean) Christian?  

I ask because I'm a religious Jew, sometimes I feel like I want to jump into religious discussions except that everyone's just talking about Christianity, so I think my input would be sort of a non-sequitur.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Religious discussion?

• Options
    There are other posters who practice Judaism on this board. When I see religious, I assume a monotheistic viewpoint.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    Apparently TB assumes Christian, though:

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LexiLupin said:
    With no further explanation or context, if someone just said "I'm a very religious person" or whatever, I'd probably assume some variety of Christian.
    This. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options

No, but I live/ work in a fairly diverse area.

I think some people might though, because a lot of my customers (that don't live in this area) have asked me what I was doing for Easter.  They were making polite conversation (I guess) but it's weird to assume everone is a Christian.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I feel you want to ask more questions or something OP...

imageimage

• Options

religious to me means following or believing and practicing in a specific religion or denomination.

This, but overall yes, Christian would be my first thought.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Options
    I guess I assume Christian because I have grown up and lived in places dominated by Christians. I don't know if that makes sense...I guess in my experience I have only heard that phrase used by Christians.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's on the charger now @slappalicious.

imageimage

• Options
    LexiLupin said:

It's not so much "assuming everyone is a Christian" for me as balance of probability. Again, with no further context offered to the term.
    But I did not grow up in a diverse area (and my current environment is very Christian-centric) so there's that.

This is what I meant. Lexi says it a lot better!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No. I used to live in a pretty diverse area though. I would assume that they attend some kind of service and adhere to their religion's rules.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    No, but I was not raised Christian, so it's not my go-to. I would assume it meant they lived their life closely following a religious text or teachings and went to regular services.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I feel you want to ask more questions or something OP...
    I don't actually...I just like religious discussion and I wanted to open it up without saying anything crazy.  I feel like a lot of people's only experience with a "religious" person is a negative one...likely because if you met a non-crazy one you'd probably not know they were religious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No, when I hear or say "religious", to me it means in all forms, not just Christian.... as in, people who choose to live their life according to a scripture (any of the various religious texts)

It's probably easy for the mind to jump to Christian, as that is the dominant religion in the US so we're a little more exposed to it in comparison to other religions...and also Christians do tend to be more vocal about their beliefs, at least in my experience.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Options
    I don't tend to think Christian. Actually, as a somewhat practicing Jewish person myself (Reform-ish), I associate "religious" with Orthodox Jewish practice primarily. That being said, I think it's a term that applies to anyone who practices their religion, monotheistic or not (ie you can be a religious/ practicing Hindu, Bhuddist, etc). 

first pregnancy
    due August 20, 2014
    (my blog about bikes, growing things, home remodeling 
    and other random life stuff)

• Options
    I would think either some sect of Christianity or Judaism.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"