Babies on the Brain
Options

April Fools Day "joke"

What are your thoughts on this April Fools Day "joke" where someone says they are pregnant (but they really aren't)? Do you think it's funny? Are you "meh, whatever"? Or do you think those people suck a little for doing that? I've already seen two on my fb feed today. How many for you so far?

I would never play a "joke" like that. To me, I think it's kind of cruel to those with infertility. I guess I just don't find the humor in it. Some of my friends dealing with infertility and losses have expressed their distaste for it. What say you?

Re: April Fools Day "joke"

• Options
    I think it's cruel.  I never understood the point of jokes or pranks at somebody's expense.  What's funny about making others feel foolish?
  • Options
    I had a friend post this type of "joke" a few years back. Only she led up to it weeks prior so it seemed more real. She had posts on Facebook about appointments, problems she was having because she had a separate medical issue (that part is true), and pics of her belly. On April 1st, she announced it was all a big hoax. I did not find it funny. I know I couldn't have been the only one upset by it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's not even a little bit funny.

It's the sort of thing I imagine a 12 YO thinks is funny.  Not a grown woman.  Gross.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I think it's in bad taste.  The worst is when people post that and it isn't even April Fool's day!  A few months ago one of my FB friends posted that she and her husband are expecting their 3rd baby...and this was posted a few days after publicly complaining about not having enough money as it is.  She just left that as her status for days until finally saying it was a joke and they just wanted to see hoe people would react to her being pregnant again. NOT COOL
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers 

• Options

I agree.  I don't know a single person who would find it funny.  And it is very insensitive.  I'm glad it hasn't come up on my FB newsfeed today! 

• Options
    I've never seen anyone do that before on FB, but I think it's pretty immature.  
  • Options
    beaubecca said:
    I think it's played out. In the last few years so many of my FB friends have done it it's not funny or even surprising anymore. Although I do laugh reading the comments when someone does buy it and is genuinely surprised. So I guess if it wasn't so common I would think its hilarious.

ETA I'm surprised so many people find it rude or offensive! I have struggled with infertility and know it's not a subject to take lightly. I think if someone was pranking specifically related to infertility then it would be offensive. But just faking a pregnancy announcement on April Fools doesn't offend me.

I think it's good that you aren't offended. (meant sincerely)  I am not offended by them either-- I just think it's ridiculous and immature.

It's a total AW move-- (real) pregnancy announcements get a lot of responses/ comments on FB so it feel like that's why people post fake ones. 

Couple that with the fact that some people struggle hard to even get pregnant-- it seems completely insensitive.

You want to get a lot of comments/ reaction to something you post?  Share something thought provoking and/ or interesting.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    I wouldn't say I find it offensive, per se. But definitely hurtful.

@Twinkie0612‌ I posted that same picture suggesting to my fb friends that they not do a fake pregnancy announcement. One of my (male) cousins commented "lighten up."
  • Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    This was just on my feed. Sigh...
  • Options
    I have to say that April fools is my least favorite day period.  I don't care for pranks, expecially ones that joke around about peoples lives.  I just don't find it funny at all, I have a very twisted sense of humor typically, but not on this day...
  • Options
    @Jags8‌ I would have a hard time not responding to your cousin if he posted that on my feed. It's not just your "roommate's cousin" or some other random person that is dealing with IF or a miscarriage. 1 in 8 couples deal with infertility and it is estimated that 15-30% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage (depending on the study/source). Chances are good that several of his FB friends have dealt with or are dealing with infertility or pregnancy loss. People dealing with infertility or miscarriage feel like they must hide their pain because of comments made by idiots like him.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Options
    Jags8 said:
    This was just on my feed. Sigh...
    a post like that would get you unfriended pretty darn quick. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    @Twinkie0612‌ my cousin is the one who said "lighten up." The post I just showed you was from a different fb "friend."

@abartow‌ ...bingo!!! No longer fb "friends." He was an ass hole in general anyway.
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me and I have experienced loss. I think it's stupid and so over done.

Clearly these people are not doing it intentionally and they have no effing clue.
  • Options
    I just think its dumb and predictable. The other ones I hate are the "I was in an accident this morning" ones. Both are kind of crappy but nothing I would get super worked up about. Just really juvenile.

I did get fired up today over a prank that happened weeks ago. One of my coworkers told me that one of my customers stopped in and were complaining about the project I am working on for them. I got all upset and he told me he was just messing with me. So he called me today and claimed that the customer was really in the shop to see me. I told him I knew what day it was and am not stupid and I hung up. The customer immediately called me to confirm they were in fact in the building, making me look like a complete idiot. Needless to say I was quite upset at my coworkers for crying wolf last week.
  • Options

I pretty much find all FB April Fool's Day post annoying, predicatable and immature.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I don't find it funny at all.  Yesterday evening I posted the following status:

April Fool's Day is also Facebook spring cleaning day.  Choose your post carefully.

Sorry- but that is a bit much.
  • Options

It's not even a little bit funny.

It's the sort of thing I imagine a 12 YO thinks is funny.  Not a grown woman.  Gross.

I know a 14 year old who did this today, Nobody bought it. But seriously it is just foolish.
    Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    My sister and several very close friends of mine are dealing with infertility. I have seen how much it hurts them when people announce their pregnancies. I don't find it funny at all.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Today someone posted a really awesome status along the lines of "if you announce your pregnancy today, don't expect a congrats from me until tomorrow because I know too many women who have struggled with infertility or lost babies to find a fake pregnancy announcement funny." She had 100+ likes. It was spot-on.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
  • Options
    This is the first year I didn't have at least one person do something stupid.
  • Options
    I don't think it's funny at all. Period.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"