Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Still Trying to Figure out How Much DD Takes in BM Bottles

DD started daycare 4 weeks ago at 12 weeks. I started the bottles with 3.25 ounces of breastmilk and she had bottles about every 3 hours. Some bottles on some days wound up just having a little bit more and she'd willingly drink it all so I started gradually increasing the amounts each week. Last week she got a 4 ounce bottle and she just guzzled it down. So I decided this week to give her 3-4 ounce bottles. Apparently she guzzled all of them down today. She finally spaced her feedings out today so that she went 4.5 hours between a feed today. So now I'm not sure if she's drinking her bottles too fast or if I should keep increasing the amount in bottles. How do you decide when it's time to increase the amounts in bottles?

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!

Re: Still Trying to Figure out How Much DD Takes in BM Bottles

• edited April 2014
    I increase the amount of BM if DD still seems hungry after she eats everything I have given her. Typically (not always) with BF babies though, you shouldn't need to adjust the amount too much, since the calories of the BM change to meet the demand. With formula the calories don't change, so to increase the calories you have to increase the amount. At 4 months old, DD eats 4-4.5oz. of BM when she is given a bottle. Eta. To clarify
    Anniversary
  • My LO isn't in daycare. So I don't know how they handle feeding. 

But generally i set up 4oz bottles of BM for him while I'm at work. If I'm told he still looks for more I set up a little more in the bottle. between 2mnth- now (5mths) He's had times where he just wants more. I've even gone to 8oz for a little while, then he went back down to 4oz (growth spur).

Mayb your LO is going thru a growth spur? Or just plan GROWING lol 

Ask them about how she's reacting after the bottle is done. Franticly looking for more? small complaint and then mellows out? 

I think if they want it, then give it to them. They know when they don't want any more.  I'm not going to stress about "calories" at this point. The pedi has no problem with how the LO is developing. 

• Loading the player...
  • tisunge602tisunge602 member
    edited April 2014
    Dreamingmommy4 said: I increase the amount of BM if DD still seems hungry after she eats everything I have given her. Typically (not always) with BF babies though, you shouldn't need to adjust the amount too much, since the calories of the BM change to meet the demand. With formula the calories don't change, so to increase the calories you have to increase the amount. At 4 months old, DD eats 4-4.5oz. of BM when she is given a bottle. Eta. To clarify

This. Also, @look1nbeyond, I think you mean growth
    spurt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I get so confused about BM not needing to be increased. I get that BM composition changes as baby ages, but it seems like I also hear people say that they increased breast milk bottles to such and such amount at a certain age so it seems like sometimes babies need more? I will try to stay in tune with DC about whether seems satisfied after her bottles or starts asking for more.

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"