April 2014 Moms

What do contractions feel like?

I've been reading up on it and there are several symptoms that describe what a contraction feels like. Being a FTM and at 39+4 I was wondering if all those who've been through this before could share what contractions felt like for you the first time? How did you realize it was real contractions and not BHs? 

I feel tightening in my belly, pelvic pressure, and hip pain from time to time. Nothing lasts long so I can tell it's not serious but I am really curious to hear real experiences of ladies who identified contractions before going into labor.

Re: What do contractions feel like?

• Real contractions will tighten in your belly, but also usually start in the back and radiate to the front, low belly, or start in the front low belly and radiate to the back. The back and lower belly are usually both involved, with pressure and tightening.

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Contractions can vary for each person. Here is a link that describes them pretty well though.

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/contractions-feel-like#.UznvlGS9LCQ
  • I don't know if it's the same for everyone but it kind of feels like a burning, "Oh no, I shouldn't have had spicy Thai last night!" pain. Then it goes away a and comes back over and over, but takes on more of a menstral cramp feeling. BH feels like the outside is hardening, but the real contractions are deeper, straight to the core, like a vice. If you're having them infrequently, those are more like the ones you get right in the beginning. Eventually with real labor you will absolutely figure out it's real labor, so don't get too hyped up with the practice ones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • arichlifearichlife member
    edited March 2014
    I'm a FTM but had some real contractions a week or so ago. I don't know that I remember specifically what they felt like because it was the middle of the night and I kept trying to fall back asleep in between them. But I will say I knew they were real contractions and not BH because of the following:
    BH are always my stomach tightening and feeling like LO is curled up tight and hard. The contractions were pain in my pelvic area. I kept trying to shift my hips to make it hurt less. They also were coming regularly (though I wasn't timing them) but it wasn't sporadic and random like BH I had before. And the biggest reason I knew was because I could feel the peak. I could feel the pain build and intensify and then come back down. BH were never painful and even other "crampy" feelings weren't distinct like these. I could tell when they started and ended (instead of just realizing I felt crampy) and like I said I could feel them build up then taper off.
  • Mine were a mix between really bad cramps and having to take a massive poop while being the most constipated I've ever been. But of course there was no period and no poop so it sucked.
  • You know they're not bh when they don't stop and get longer, stronger, and closer together.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amhah09 said:

I always feel like if you have to ask if it's the real deal then it most likely isn't.

Not necessarily. At the moment my belly is strapped by a fetal heart monitor and another device that measures for contractions. I would have had no idea that what I was feeling were contractions if I hadn't ended up in the hospital.
    When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.
  • Sweet baby Jesus.
  • The website alana1977 posted is pretty accurate. BH are usually more uncomfortable rather than painful. True contractions are more of a centralized pain rather than an all over tight feeling. The ones I have been having feel like I am having the worst period cramps of my life, but they come on quickly, get very intense, then ease off as quickly. I would say each "episode" lasts a minute or less. But believe me, when it happens, you will have no doubt between what is real and what is not!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"