September 2012 Moms
Options

WWS12D

Okay, so I know we have a lot managers on here and I want your opinions.

I was offered a new job last Monday and I am going to be taking over supervision for 6 people.  Now, their supervisor was really nice, but super laid back and her style is much different than my style.  They are known for being a little lazy out there and the way they handle themselves with other employees doesn't lend itself to people thinking any differently about them.

I am coming from a department where we are highly respected and work really hard.  We still have fun, but we work really hard and people know without a doubt that we do.  

So, how would you go about changing the culture where you are going.  I know I need to be careful and not come in swinging, but I also am inheriting a lot of problems that I am expected to fix ASAP.  So, help me think through this?  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

Re: WWS12D

• Options
    My first thought is to bide my time and work to get to know each person and what they do specifically.  I have a general idea of how they do their jobs, but not for sure.  

I also think that I should lead by example.  Work hard, be kind and friendly without being super chit chatty and things like that.  I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but I want people to respect my workers and not automatically think they are goofing off if they don't answer their phone or email immediately.

Would it be weird to institute "quiet hours" in the office or something like that?  I am just going through a bit of culture shock as I was out with them today and was less than respected as one girl continued to scroll through her internet stories while I sat in the office and learned from her office mate.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    AKB090609AKB090609 member
    edited March 2014
    I had a similar experience when I became a supervisor at my old job. I think that you need to approach the situation with the standards and expectations you want your employees to meet firmly in your mind. I also constantly had to remind myself that they may not like me all the time and that was okay as long as they were respectful and did their jobs well.

I found that listening and praising a job well done was the best motivator in getting people to pick up the slack and get into new habits. At first the staff was not a huge fan of me as I was correcting behaviors and setting new standards. After about 3 months they were pretty much on my team and saw that I was listening to them and doing the things I asked of them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    I would not mention quiet hours. Address too much talking as it occurs to get your point across that it is work time. Quiet hours just screams micro managing to me. Some people may require micro managing but don't enforce it on everyone.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    tinyhumantoetinyhumantoe member
    edited April 2014
    There are 100 approaches you could take. It will have to go with your personal/long term mgmt style. So... It it were me?

I would say to take the approach that what you expect out of them is very matter of fact and expectations are equal across the board. Be fair and set a good example.

Don't come in with rules. Feel it out and see what you've got! Make the most important alterations first. Don't waste time and rule/bargaining power on things that don't matter.

The 'don't smile until December' rule for new teachers would translate into 'smile when appropriate, but don't laugh or get bondy for the first 3-6 months unless it's a strategic management move' :-p

You're not their buddy, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean you have to be a tyrant. I think they will respect you for getting to know them. Address issues individually in private instead of a "guys get off the bump!1"

Boundaries will be key. I divert any personal questions away and walk away from any conversations I shouldn't be involved in. I keep everything work related, as much as I can.

Keep in mind I'm not BIG Corporate, so I don't know all of the politics/angles you are working with :). Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    This is just me and my experience managing a couple of assistants, but I do better and had better luck managing with expectations rather than rules, if that makes sense.  That is, I didn't insist that things get done a certain way, or that certain procedures beyond basic general etiquette be followed, but I made clear what I wanted done, and by what time, and in what order.  So by that logic, I don't think I would institute quiet hours.  But, if things weren't getting done in a timely manner, I would address that too much socializing could be a productivity issue.

Like hmp said, regular feedback is really key in developing your expectations and rapport.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"