September 2014 Moms

diapers

ashaw512 ashaw512 member
edited March 2014 in September 2014 Moms
Cloth vs disposable. DH and I haven't been able to decide if we should stick with papmper, which I love, or try cloth for this LO.

diapers 171 votes

cloth
25% 43 votes
disposable
67% 116 votes
SS
7% 12 votes

Re: diapers

• My 3 y/o has been in cloth since 4 weeks. Plan to do the same with this one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I clicked disposable, but I'm still trying to get my DH on board with cloth. If I can't convince him we will probably use honest company or something like it.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I clicked disposable, but I'm still trying to get my DH on board with cloth. If I can't convince him we will probably use honest company or something like it.

I thought about Honest diapers. They are a couple more dollars more than pampers, I just don't know which I would like better.

• I love the idea of cloth diapers but I'm nervous l spend all the money then hate them, I still might try tho and just start off with like 3 and see how it goes
  • I love the idea of cloth diaper, but dirty diapers in the wash really freaks DH out...so we're doing disposables
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • SS: We do both in our house. I have some great prefold/covers that we use most of the time to save money, but we use sposies overnight (I know I could cloth overnight but 1 sposie a night it's nbd for us) and we allow the grandparents that aren't comfortable with cloth to use sposies when they babysit.

And occasionally if DS has a rash or it's extremely hot we sposie him. So basically we cloth, but go through 1 large box of sposies on a 3-4 month period (about one box per size) ....not bad.
  • Damasked said:

I love saving money, but hate the idea of poop laundry. So, disposables.

With coupons and sales you can end up saving a lot on disposables anyway.

Like @chardonnay24‌ already said. Poop will be in your laundry cloth diaper or not. But I agree, sposies can be really cheap if you look for the deals.
  • I was a nanny for several years and have dealt with cloth diapers - no cloth diapering for us! NO WAY, lol. Kudos to you that will though - bless your little trooper hearts.

We will make monetary cuts in other areas of our budget to afford the diapers. :D

• Pampers swaddlers!
    imageimage
  • Pampers...as a FTM if I was having one baby I would consider it, but with twins on the way I dont think I want to take on the CD challenge.
    **SIGGY TICKER WARNING**
    Me: 27 High FSH (POF?) DH: 33 Slightly Low Morphology / Married Aug '08 TTC since 7/2009
    6 rounds of clomid = no luck
    IVF w/ ICSI & AZH #1 - Jan/2011 = ET cancelled OHSS
    FET #1 & #2 - March/2011 & June/2011 = Chemical Preg.
    IVF w/ Half ICSI #2 New RE - May/2012 = BFN!
    May '12 - Sep '13 - Took A Break
    Dec '13 IVF w/ Half ICSI #3!!!!! Switched RE
    Protocol - Lupron trigger/Follistim/Ganirelix/Estrace/Vivelle/Crinone
    12/27 - BFP! TWINS! EDD 9/3/14 ...Team PURPLE!
    6/27/14 - Emergency C/S @ 30w2d - Baby A 2lb 14oz, Baby B 2lb 11 oz
    ALL WELCOME :)
  • I'm still debating for several reasons.
    Pros:
    - Clothes diapers are more environmental friendly. 
    - I probably will be SAHM, therefore I can be the one to take care of it.
    - It's my understanding that toddlers in clothes tend to potty train sooner than toddlers in disposables

Cons:
    - It's more work and I have days where I just don't give a shit about cleaning shit.
    - We have a coin-op machine, so we might not end up saving money which lead me to ask this:

How often do STM wash the cloth diapers? 

• I'm not all about being green and the process of cleaning cloth just seems like a pain to me. Plus, I understand that they do stain overtime. I've seen cloth websites make a big deal about the chemicals in diapers, but I've researched this and there's more of some of those same chemicals in the foods we eat. Cloth would save money, but it's just not worth the hassle and added grossness to me. DH would never agree to it either.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JD83JD83 member
    We're using disposables. While some of the new cloth diapers are really cute, I'm not dealing with that. The added cost is well worth it to me. I've never changed a diaper before or even taken care of a child for longer than it took the mother to go pee. I'm still working on getting over the diaper changing thing in general, so scraping poo is completely out of the question. But that's just my house, more power to all of you taking on the challenge, and I envy you ladies for not being completely grossed out by the whole process.
  • With DD1 we did primarily cloth with sposies at night. I loved it. 

With DD2, we had a lot of rash issues, including some nasty yeast rashes that ultimately required prescription creams and derm visits to clear up, so she was sposies so we could the creams and potions on her. 

This baby, I hope to go back to cloth and try some prefold/covers in the mix. We'll probably still do sposies at night.
    image        image
  • I just want say to anyone considering it that CDing not really challenging or gross. Honestly, cloth or disposable, you'll be up to your elbows in pee and poop and spit up and drool and every other disgusting thing that comes with having a kid. My kid once spit up in my mouth. Really, the "ick" factor goes away a couple months in. As far as the difficulty level or challenge - I find it more challenging to take my strong willed and hyper kid to the store to buy diapers than deal with cloth. Changing the actual diaper is the same other than snapping a couple snaps. The dirty diaper gets tossed in our wetbag and the whole wetbag goes in the laundry every 2 or 3 days. It's really, really easy. Our nanny, daycare, grandparents, and occasional babysitter have never been intimidated by them. So don't be scared! I love our CDs and have never regretted it for a minute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really wanted to use cloth but all I read were scary/bad things online so I was conflicted about it. I posted over on the cloth diapers board to ask the ladies there to help me out with some more good things for my pros & cons list. They came up with tons of reasons and pointed out that a lot of the "bad" posts about cloth diaps are because people don't post when everything is honky dory, just when they're having a problem. They also pointed me towards a very helpful video series call Cloth Diapering 101 on You Tube. Now I'm 100% on board with doing cloth AND I'm super excited about it too. After letting my husband read everyone's posts on my thread and watch the videos, he's fully on board as well. Yay cloth!
    S14 Remembers our Angel Babies

S14 September Siggy - Show to binge-watch when the baby comes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited April 2014
    Cloth! We do use a disposable at night, since my MS can't handle dunking poo in the toilet right now. (Working on a sprayer)

I have had horrible blow outs with disposable diapers. The leg holes are way too loose and it's everywhere. I would rather deal with a contained poo diaper than a disaster! Poop gets in your carseat, on their pants and onesies, which you have to pull over his head. Good luck not smearing poo all over their hair and face!

Cloth has a huge resale value if you care for them.

Doing the wash is super easy. Just throw it in and press a few buttons. You don't even have to fold it if you don't have time. It literally takes a couple minutes of your time.

I don't see the draw of gdiapers. From what I can tell, they are expensive, you have to buy each size, as opposed to a one sized diaper. You can buy disposable inserts that would work in any diaper, technically. GroVia makes some.

ETA my husband changes cloth diapers and he had never changed a diaper in his life before our son.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Laundry is the one household chore that I cannot stand to do so my husband usually does our laundry. He was really against cloth diapering so that made the decision easy for us. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• @dearfoam‌ I'm an odd duck. I got a birth to potty training kit from Real Nappies. Four different sizes from nb to toddler and plenty of them for $500. I haven't bought anything else. I love them as far as function, but they are plain white...not as cute as some others. They also have a two child guarantee which was a big selling point.
  • Cloth about 90% of the time (will use disposables for day and overnight trips).  Disposable for daycare (at 12 months) and will probably switch to full time disposables at home too at that point. 

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Disposable here. DS is almost 17 months old and I can count the number of blowouts he has had on both hands. We have never had to throw out clothes due to poop stains. Of course every child is different and this one may have explosive poop, but the thought of putting any poop in my laundry is so not my thing!

Same with DD, I can count her blowouts. I've never had to throw any clothes away. I would like to try CD but I don't wanna spend the money and not like them.
  • Disposable here. DS is almost 17 months old and I can count the number of blowouts he has had on both hands. We have never had to throw out clothes due to poop stains. Of course every child is different and this one may have explosive poop, but the thought of putting any poop in my laundry is so not my thing!

This!
  • kayemgikayemgi member
    edited April 2014
    dearfoam said:
    I am so overwhelmed by the options out there (here are 20+). My gut reaction is KISS; I would be fine with using a cloth insert inside a cover (esp if using a liner to "catch " solids like I saw on the Real Nappies site, @trombgirl - do you think they help?), but there are just so many to choose from! I am not particularly squeamish; I've seen too much in my life to be phased (Well, I'm sure there's still something that will gross me out but I think baby mess will be better than most crap situations I have dealt with in recent years).

Has any one tried these types of CD trials? Did you feel like they help you decide? Is there a better trial I should know about?
    https://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10
    https://www.diaperlab.com/visit/experiment.php
    @dearfoam I haven't tried a trial and I actually don't think I will after doing tons of research, but, everyone who suggested to me to try a trial recommended the one from Jillian's Drawers.

ETA: Here is the link to the thread I posted on the cloth diaper board that was so helpful to me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I voted SS.

Ideally we want to do cloth, but I need to do some more research before I fully commit. I also need to ask my baby sitter (my mom) if she is willing to CD while watching LO during the week. We will both be working full time, and I want to make sure that we will have enough time to do the extra laundry and stuff diapers (if we chose pocket diapers). We will most definitely use disposables during the newborn phase, and I hope to switch to CD's once baby can fit in AIO sizes.
  • JD83JD83 member
    A friend of mine told me about these plastic covers to go over the disposable diapers that contain blowouts. She used them for her son because he ate a LOT and thus pooped a LOT and had blowouts all the time. She saved a lot of clothes and her car seat by using them.
  • @dearfoam I feel like the video series changed my life even though LO isn't even here yet! I was so confused about all the different types of cloth diaps and how and when to use them. The videos really lay that all out for you and they talk about accessories and stuff too. Definitely check them out. Oh and it's a 7-part series which seems scary, but they are all very short. I think the longest one was around 8 minutes and most were less than 5 so it's not that bad at all.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"