2nd Trimester
Options

How often are ultrasounds wrong about gender??

Okay, so we had an ultrasound at what turned out to be 14.5 weeks (we were off on our dates which led to our blood test being off so we had an emergency ultrasound to check on baby). The tech said that she couldn't tell what the sex was, so a week and a half later we ended up going back in to find out the sex and they said it was a girl (that ultrasound tech actually told us that they can tell the sex at 14 weeks, they just normally don't because it's not as accurate). She took pictures and everything of the anatomy and guaranteed it is a girl but I'm still worried! I've heard stories about people being told that they're having a girl and then POP! out comes a boy! What are the chances of that happening now-a-days with all of our "high-tech" ultrasounds and stuff. I've been shopping like crazy and my mom has already bought an entire nursery of girl stuff (thousands of dollars). I'm too scared to open any of it though in case they were wrong!!

Sorry if this is super-pregnancy-hormone-annoying but I can't stop worrying about it, and I really don't want to start setting everything up and not be able to return it or something if we bring home a boy. :)

Re: How often are ultrasounds wrong about gender??

• Options
    If it was done was 16.5 weeks it's probably pretty reliable. But like PP said, you should have and US coming up soon that will confirm the gender. Post a pic & we will give an opinion   ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ultrasound images have gotten a lot clearer than they used to be and a well-trained tech can make a very good guess earlier than years ago, too. But I wouldn't get too attached one way or the other until after your anatomy scan. Until they can clearly see boy parts or girl parts developed, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying "we're having a ____" Just save everything, don't take off any tags, keep receipts, etc. You're probably fine with info given at your last appointment, but just in case I'd wait a bit longer!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My doctor had a look-see at 16 weeks and said a boy, which was then confirmed at 20 weeks with the ultrasound tech. To repeat what others have said, you are still having an anatomy scan at 20 weeks, right?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As long as you have another u/s between now and 36 weeks, you'll get confirmation and won't have to worry about a surprise in the delivery room...

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options
    And props to you for being on top of starting your clothes collection and nursery decorations... I dont plan on even starting until 37-38 weeks.

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• Options
    I think you need to slow your roll. You've got a lot of time to go shopping and decorating and while you're excited, I'd just try to hold off until you have your A/S when things have had more weeks to develop. 16 week scan could have been right (mine was), but it could turn out to be incorrect too. I agree with people to not open or cut tags off of stuff yet either. Patience is the hardest part about being pregnant sometimes!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    mana84 said:
    I think you need to slow your roll. You've got a lot of time to go shopping and decorating and while you're excited, I'd just try to hold off until you have your A/S when things have had more weeks to develop. 16 week scan could have been right (mine was), but it could turn out to be incorrect too. I agree with people to not open or cut tags off of stuff yet either. Patience is the hardest part about being pregnant sometimes!
    I don't use this phrase enough (or ever). I must start.
  • Options
    How rude of so many of you to judge and have snarky comments. None of you have any idea as to why my husband and I might have to be planning and preparing early and for you to leave such rude comments is absolutely horrible of you! For your undeserving information, he deploys before our child will be born and would like to be part of the process of getting ready for the new baby since he will miss out on so much while he's gone.

I'm sure you were all completely level-headed and not hormone-driven AT ALL while pregnant. This will be my last post on this site. It's a shame that women come here looking for comfort and advice only to be thrown into a pool of sharks. Shame on you miserable women!

To those of you who actually answered honestly and like normal heart-having human beings- Thank you, this was not towards you.
  • Options
    kailvolz said:

How rude of so many of you to judge and have snarky comments. None of you have any idea as to why my husband and I might have to be planning and preparing early and for you to leave such rude comments is absolutely horrible of you! For your undeserving information, he deploys before our child will be born and would like to be part of the process of getting ready for the new baby since he will miss out on so much while he's gone.

I'm sure you were all completely level-headed and not hormone-driven AT ALL while pregnant. This will be my last post on this site. It's a shame that women come here looking for comfort and advice only to be thrown into a pool of sharks. Shame on you miserable women!

To those of you who actually answered honestly and like normal heart-having human beings- Thank you, this was not towards you.

I'm confused? How does knowing what junk the baby has "make up" for missing 3am feedings & changing diapers? Apples to oranges on those situations. Just saying...

You are kind of acting insane & I've been pregnant many times. I didn't lose my sanity. Hormones are a huge, stinky cop out.

Sharks? :-?? So because you got a little snark that means we have no hearts?

I think you need to get your priorities in check & calm the fuck down

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    kailvolz said:

OMG, this is fantastic! I'm tearing up from laughing so hard! Bye OP. I will miss these meltdowns of yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"