Toddlers: 24 Months+

How to wash children's head while he hates this to say the least?

My toddler doesn't like to wash his head and starts shout and cry when feels water or shampoo foam on it. But he likes to bathe and play in water very much.

Answers

• Do it quickly and just let him scream?  

DS2 isn't a huge fan of having his hair washed but he's gotten better over time.  I used to just dump water, soap up quickly, and dump water to rinse.  Now, he's calm enough that I can wet his hair, wash, and then he'll tilt his head back for me.  If he doesn't tilt back, he gets water in his face which is what he hates.  Maybe wash his hair when he first gets in the tub so that he gets to do the fun stuff after the not so fun stuff?  
  • We used to do it quickly and let her scream. Then me and her older sister taught her to put her head back and that helps- water doesn't really get on her face. We also gave her a dry washcloth that she uses over her eyes- she thinks it is fun to have a "mask" on and then I dump water.
  • Loading the player...
  • I let my girls play in the tub and do soap at the end.  I throw this baby lounger in the tub to wash their hair.  No more crying. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do it right at the beginning of the bath to get it out of the way so he can play.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• sep08sep08 member
    We use this bath visor thing (called "Lil Rinser Splashguard" on Amazon for like 10 bucks). We also count to ten while we are rinsing off his hair, he likes that because he can count with us and he knows when it will be over. We do it at the end of bath time because usually he wants out right after that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I either have my kid put her sunglasses on or hold a dry rag over her eyes.

It's a battle either way so I usually just go as fast as I can and use the least amount of shampoo possible.

I also just conditioner wash her at this point most times. It stings a lot less and rinses faster.

• DS hated having water run down his face.  We got a bath visor and now washing his hair and dumping water over his head haven't been an issue.  
  • my daughter doesnt ike to wash her hai too, but since we need to do it, i just do it as fast as i could.

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • ToraniTorani member
    I have them lie down at the higher end of the tub. The water barely reaches their ears and does not get anywhere near their eyes. No crying at al!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used to do it quickly and let her scream. Then me and her older sister taught her to put her head back and that helps- water doesn't really get on her face. We also gave her a dry washcloth that she uses over her eyes- she thinks it is fun to have a "mask" on and then I dump water.
    exactly what happened with us. shes 2 1/2 now and doesnt mind at all and puts her head back. She just to lose her mind but it is what it is. she just screamed for a minute
  • lana22lana22 member
    another for doing it as quickly as possible. try to get him to tilt head back but it isn't always successful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • lana22lana22 member
    another for doing it as quickly as possible. try to get him to tilt head back but it isn't always successful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have DS "wash" the hair of an Ernie bath toy that he has first, and then he knows it's his turn.  I let him choose which song he wants to me to sing for him, then I sing and work really, really quickly.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• We have the detachable shower hose & I will let her spray the back of the tub.
  • We went through that phase. I would just do it really quickly at the end of the bath. Also, I would fold up a dry washcloth and have her hold it over her eyes so no water could even accidentally get in them (that was her main complaint.)

I finally started telling her that if she let me wash her hair, she would get an m&m afterwards. Worked like a charm and now we are totally over the hatred.

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Meery82Meery82 member
    edited June 2014
    Nicb13 said:
    I do it right at the beginning of the bath to get it out of the way so he can play.

This for us too. I try to "prep" him and warn him that it's coming. I also let him wipe his eyes with a towel to get the water off. I basically just go really quick to get it over with, whether he likes it or not.
    Both of these. He doesn't really freak out if I say "rinse" right before I pour the water on his head.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"