School-Aged Children

2 piece swim suits for school age girls?

What are your thoughts/opinions?

DD is 8 and has always worn a 1 piece.  She needs a new suit and has expressed wanting a 2 piece.  I asked why and she said because everyone has one.  I talked to her about doing what is comfortable for her and not worrying about what everyone else is doing.  FTR, I would be ok with a little midriff showing in a two piece, but not the triangle top kind of thing.  We'll try some on and see what she thinks.  I did talk to her about the possibility of the bottoms coming off/top coming down because that's a possibility right?  My mom never let me have a bikini as a kid so I only wore one in college for spring break so I wasn't really swimming.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: 2 piece swim suits for school age girls?

• My DD has worn a 2 piece speedo suit that's more athletic in style and stays on well.  The top is like a sports bra and the bottoms offer a little more coverage.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Spin313Spin313 member
    edited April 2014
    My three year old DD uses two piece suits because it's easier for going to the bathroom. I won't have a problem with it as she gets older as long as it has coverage (ie tankini, rash-guard & bottom)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the replies.  DD asked about some of the rash guard pics, but this is a girl that would wear a tank top year round so I don't know if she'll like it or not.  We'll have to go try some on and see what works.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • I get my daughter's swim suits from LandsEnd.  You can mix match tops and bottoms.  My daughter loves tankini style suits.  No stomach shows.  She even has some bottoms that have a little skirt attached to the bikini bottom.
  • I don't mind the two pieces so much ... as long as they aren't the triangle top. Thankfully, my daughter usually only likes the more modest styles.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

• Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited April 2014
    Tankinis are great because they have a 2pc.feel without the risk of exposure that happens in a bikini.

I've had tops lift in the water from jumping in pool/lake, going on a slide at a water parks. I remember feeling them lift underwater, then adjusting them before I came up for air.

I discovered tankinis in my 30s and wished I found them sooner.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've never bought anything but tankinis for my girls. I hate one pieces- such a pain when using the bathroom. No skin shows although I don't really understand why that matters.
  • I think I'll probably go with tankinis or one pieces until my DD is old enough to buy her own bathing suits :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • I was also going to recommend checking out lands end
  • I never even owned a 2-piece suit myself until this fall when I bought a tankini, and now I'll never go back. ;) If I had a little girl I would totally go the tankini route; moms with little girls pointed out how much easier they are to deal with when going to the bathroom. I would also do a rashguard top and swim bottoms. (My boys always wear rash guards with their trunks.)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • We're also in the Tankini camp... DD has a super long torso and I've yet to find a one-piece that isn't too short (which the shortness comes at the top which I'm SUPER uncomfortable with)... I'm not a bikini for this age fan on multiple levels, but that's just my preference and one of those topics to approach when we get there in terms of it's one thing where it's sports-bra type coverage, another if it's a string with triangles KWIM...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter is 6 and was fine with the tankini compromise. Only a tiny bit of her belly shows and the bottoms are boy shorts. She is super tall and this is the best choice we've found (for us).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"