Adoption

Questions to Ask of SW and Foster Parents?

During our final training session I started compiling a list of questions that would be good to ask the current foster parents (if they exist) and social worker about a potential match.  What questions would you or did you ask?

Currently on my list (our target age range is 3-8 I'm sure questions will vary for older and younger children):

1) What rewards/consequences exist in your home and work for the child?
2) What strategies work/don't work?
3) Have you been able to identify any triggers ( dates, words, actions, non-verbal cues, visits with family) ? 
4) What meds is the child taking?
5) What are some of the child's strengths?
6) What type of routine is the child following? 
7) What activities does the child enjoy?

Started foster to adopt application process January 2014

Re: Questions to Ask of SW and Foster Parents?

• What are their favorite foods?

What are their favorite toys?

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• Also, do they (Social Workers, biological family, foster parents) have any pictures that you can have copies of? School projects can be hard on kids when they are supposed to bring in baby pictures and there simply are none. (Trust me, we have been there.) It may not seem important right away, but you will be glad that you asked later.

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• Loading the player...
  • Also, do they (Social Workers, biological family, foster parents) have any pictures that you can have copies of? School projects can be hard on kids when they are supposed to bring in baby pictures and there simply are none. (Trust me, we have been there.) It may not seem important right away, but you will be glad that you asked later.
    This is a great idea.   It was mentioned during training that assignments like this can be triggers for kids.  
    Started foster to adopt application process January 2014
  • I'm going to answer with no intro! I would ask about behaviors and visit schedule (if they still have them), medical concerns, last doctors visit, educational concerns, etc. All the stuff that should be in their files, ask about it anyway. Also, I would ask why the current foster family isn't adopting. It may seem personal and intrusive but may tell you a lot that dcs won't.
  • Also, I would ask why the current foster family isn't adopting. It may seem personal and intrusive but may tell you a lot that dcs won't.
    I couldn't agree more with the above.  They don't have to answer if they don't want, but you can get a lot of information by asking.

I'd also ask if the child has any learning difficulties.  You should be given a list of medical diagnoses, but learning issues can span beyond that and can clue you into a lot.  If the child is having trouble in school, for example, you may realize that he doesn't do well with multi-part, complicated instructions.  It can help you identify defiant behaviors versus the child just not understanding/remembering all the pieces of the instructions/request.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"