November 2013 Moms
Options

Taking LO temperature

I was wondering what kind of thermometers you ladies use and where (on their bodies) do you take their temperatures?

I ask because O has a fever, and I've been using the under the arm thermometer as that's what all the nurses and drs did when he was just a wee one.

My only question about doing it that way is, are any of you adding a degree to get an "internal" temp or just using the number you see?

I worked at a day care and that's what my head teacher told me to do. (Add the degree, ie if it says 101.4 it's "actually" 102.4). So now it's ingrained in my head to do it that way but I'm not sure if it's the correct way......

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tia.

Re: Taking LO temperature

• Options
    Under the arm is less accurate, so yes you add one degree. Taking the temp rectally is the most accurate. To do that a digital thermometer and some Vaseline are necessary (it only needs to be inserted about 1/2 in.). If I need to take L's temp I do it rectally. I've heard the temple thermometers are pretty accurate but I have not personally used one.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I use the temporal ones or a rectal one... They usually come up w a similar reading.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use the Braun thermoscan that you do in the ear. Seems to be pretty accurate.

• Options
    We use a Vicks rectal thermometer because like PPs have said, it's the most accurate. I thought it would be really difficult to manage taking his temp there and that he would hate it, but honestly it was so easy! I just laid him naked on his tummy on his changing pad, stuck it in (only like 1/2 an inch) for 10 seconds (the thermometer beeps when it's ready), and done! He barely flinched. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We got a temporal artery thermometer at Costco that we love. DD had a low grade temp a month or two back and we got so sick of struggling to keep her arm down while taking her temp. Our pedi uses a temporal thermometer as well. When we were doing the under arm temp, we were adding a degree to it.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I saw the safety 1st with the multiple attachments and picked it up today. He seems to not mind the rectal at all, which I thought he'd hate.
  • Options
    We use a digital rectal thermometer.  Haven't had to use it too much, but it works well
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"