Special Needs
Options

Other board posts make you cringe?

I could not help myself.  On the Parenting board a girl was saying that she was concerned about her son that is 15 months and not talking or walking.  Several posters went on to say he was probably a late bloomer.  Don't worry so much. I knew a girl who didn't walk until 18 months...blah blah blah.

I couldn't help myself!  I wrote that she should get him evaluated anyway and that I was in her shoes not too long ago but my son WAS walking since 13 months and had 5 words by that time.  He still requires OT,PT, and speech at 3.5 yo.

SIGH... i don't want to be THAT person that is convinced that my situation is common or needs to be shouted by the rooftops.  i just couldn't help responding when everyone was puppies and rainbows in their responses.  Maybe I should stop lurking on other boards LOL 

Re: Other board posts make you cringe?

• Options
    Ok, cool, so she already wrote me back and said that she is going to talk to the pedi anyway in order to calm her fears.

Phew... It makes me feel better!

Also, did you guys know that when someone mentions you in a post it makes this little flash of a pop up in the corner of the computer?  I usually am on my cell, so if its been there all along I never knew :)

• Options
    -auntie- said:
    It's an alternate universe over there. 

The pop-up also happens if someone quotes your post. FTR- some screen names do not work in the @name page format- usually those which have punctuation in them. Mine doesn't, I think @KC_13's does.

Mine does! :) but yes, I feel like I'm always the negative nelly on those kinds of posts. Better for people to be proactive about an issue that isn't there than the alternative.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto all of you. I have been the one encouraging them to ask for evals as well. And @ToastieSimons‌, I had an amnio with DS bc of an elevated risk of T21. The call to let me know the results...they said, "a normal boy". Sometimes I wish I could hold her to that. DS may be chromosomally normal, but he certainly isnt developing normally.

I also sometimes want to scream about the autism threads on BMBs. Both the ones where they talk about how hopping on your left foot can cause autism (or whatever the latest theory may be) and the ones where they go on and on about how it is overdiagnosed and how those with mild autism (such as my DS) shouldnt be considered autistic...and therefore shouldnt be eligible for much help.

I mightve gone off a bit on the last overdiagnosed thread i saw, not angrily but more educated them. Basically painted them a picture of how much of a difference "mild" autism is from their normal and what it is like as a Mom to know something is "off" but to not know how to help your child.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    -auntie- said:
    The ones that really get me are the posters who reveal obvious issues over time and who are being reassured by teachers, friends and PC pediatricians that their child is fine or even advanced. Because you know the fall is coming and how hard it hurts when it comes with no warning.

FWIW, speaking in complete sentences at 15 months, knowing all your letters, numbers and the symbols for pi and infinity by 18 months isn't necessarily a good thing.

I know--those make me sad too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There was a similar post on SAHM board about a MIL, former teacher, making a comment about ADD. I know she didn't mean to, but the tone was how could my MIL insinuate that my kid could have something as bad as ADD. I'm pretty sensitive to those posts these days (waiting for the results of my son's autism eval.)
  • Options
    I'm THAT person.  I don't visit many other boards, but I have become active on the preemie board again.  And, sometimes I feel like the debbie downer there.  But, honestly, I wish I had had someone tell it to me straight when Lily was younger, instead of blowing rainbows up my behind.
               image      image      image
  • Options
    I'm damaged goods. I take the debbie downer to a new level. When I see a happy mom cooing over her newborn, I think to myself: you could be one of us in a year and a half. I think it's because DS's delays came like a ton of bricks on me. I had the perfect pregnancy, perfect natural birth, perfect bonding experience including perfect breastfeeding. Perfect smiles at the correct age, plus other milestones either ahead or right on point. Then, the no pointing at one year came about.....
  • Options
    I can relate to a lot of you. It always bugs me when people try to blow off issues. I also find myself the one to recommend going ahead and getting an eval if there are concerns (unless the child is clearly in the normal range, i.e. the "My child isn't walking at 12.5 months" ... my NT kid started walking at 14m and was quite athletic by 3). 

And yeah, the red flags ... I have a friend with a child my boys' age who has always been kind of a one-upper. She likes to brag about how well he was reading by 3.5 (he's reading at a 3rd grade level now at 5), his "mature" interests, the fact that he can quote extensive scenes from movies ... and brings out quotes from movies to drop often inappropriately into conversation, which she thinks is really cute/clever ... 
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

And yeah, the red flags ... I have a friend with a child my boys' age who has always been kind of a one-upper. She likes to brag about how well he was reading by 3.5 (he's reading at a 3rd grade level now at 5), his "mature" interests, the fact that he can quote extensive scenes from movies ... and brings out quotes from movies to drop often inappropriately into conversation, which she thinks is really cute/clever ... 
    Yikes...this is my DS to a tee. He was diagnosed HFA at 2.5. Hyperlexic much?
    M/C #1 at 9 weeks - 8/09 . DS - 2010 . M/C #2  at 8 weeks - Ectopic/lost right tube - 3/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"