Babies: 9 - 12 Months

high fever concern

Hi, my little guy is ten months. He has had high fever between 101.6- 103.8 for about 6 days now. He has been on antibiotics for about 4 days for ear infection but isn't improving. We were at ER last night for his high fever, lab tests and urine came back ok except BANDS in his blood were at 19% which indicate a possible infection so we still don't know what is causing fever. Anyone else experience this with your infant?
Pls help, so worried.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: high fever concern

• Sorry your baby is sick! Did the ED check his ears last night? There's a possibility the antibiotic he was prescribed for the ear infection isn't targeting the actual infection (pedis usually start with the least potent, ie amoxicillin, and move to Augmentin, etc). Is tylenol or motrin working to bring it down? If it works, usually physicians aren't too concerned because a response is being shown. Hope he feels better soon!
  • purity36purity36 member
    edited March 2014
    Hi, thank you for responding. Yes ears checked, doc said she.couldn't reall see his left ear because of wax but the bit she could see and right ear looked a bit red, she said she wasn't too impressed. I can say this, he had a double ear infection a month ago for valentines day and was in amoxicillin which was prescribed again for his right ear infection in Wednesday. You may be right, amox. May not be working this time around so soon after just being on it...i pray you are right, I am in tears out.of fear and frustration, I wish there was mire I could do for.my.little guy.
    :) dee
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Poor squish :(  But I absolutely agree with @aliandchris and even more so with you saying he was just on meds a month ago.  My pedi won't prescribe the same med within a 4-6 window because there's a high chance of it not working.  I'd put money on it still being the ears and him need augmentin so I'd call the pedi this morning about it.  And here's a tip on that - it tastes AWFUL so don't waste any time trying to get him to take it as is.  Find a pharmacy that does flavoring (I know for sure Walgreens does).  It costs like $2 and makes ALL the difference.  Hope he feels better soon!
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Thank you elmoali,
    I am taking him to his pediatrician today, I hope we can figure out the reason for his fever and switch the meds to augmentin. :-)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Update-little guy has double ear infection, he is now on Augmentin!!!!
    :) dee
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Glad he's been switched! Hopefully within 24 hours, he'll be back to fever free!
  • Well, boo that he's sick but I'm glad they were able to get him a pretty simple diagnosis.  You never want them sick but it's easier to just know what you're dealing with :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"