April 2013 Moms
Options

Trip and staying at grandparents..

My DH and I have a trip planned in July for 7 days for just us.  So our plan was that his MIL was going to watch our DD for the 1st part of the week at our house.  Then my parents would watch her for the 2nd part of the week at their house as its just 30 minutes away.  His MIL lives 3 1/2 hr away.  Now, his mom wants to take her to their house for her part.   She says she isn't comfortable staying at our house by herself and she wants to show her off to everyone at her work.  And she wants FIL to have some time with her too- tho he works night so literally he will see her maybe an hour each day. 

We aren't too excited about this.  As one her house isn't baby proofed and we would literally have to pack everything from high chair, pack n play, stroller, to toys, etc.  As she has none of it at her place.  Plus, we think she underestimates how traveling by herself for 3 1/2 hours would be - the logistics of stopping to pee, gets fussy on the way.  Normally, when we do the trip to his parents -she is okay the 1st part but gets fussy and someone has to ride with her the last part.   I just don't like the idea of her being in a car with someone else for that long or what if she gets sick down there.   Or having her dragged around for everyone to see.  We feel bad as she has offered to take care of her so we can go on the trip but prefer she stays at our place.  Do you think its that big of deal or are we just overreacting about nothing?   What would you do or say?

Re: Trip and staying at grandparents..

• Options
    I see where you are coming from, and I'd feel the same way if i was in your shoes. Have you spoken to her about your concerns and all the extra work it would entail? My mil gets the same way. I think they forget how much work and how important a routine in with a baby. Try taking to her again. Be kind and express your concerns from the perspective off a fellow mother. But if she really presses she bring her to get house then I'd let it go. Prepare everything the best you can and trust she'll take great care of your munchkin.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Options
    I would drive her to your MILs house that eliminates the driving issue and pack what you think she needs, while her staying at your house is best for you if MIL isnt comfortable then let LO go over there. Babies make do with what they have so if LO doesnt have all their stuff thats okay. I think as long as MIL is going to keep a watchful eye on LO then things will be okay. My house is baby proofed and my crazy kid stil thinks its fun to jump off the couch. Just take a deep deep breath trust MIL and enjoy your trip LO will be fine

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand your annoyance and i would feel the same way.  Unfortunately I think that since she is offering to watch her, you have to compromise -- or ask if your parents can just have her the whole time.  suggestion above about driving her to MIL's is a great one - although a huge hassle for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Although I understand where you are coming from its very gracious of your MIL to keep your LO for you while you travel.  Sounds like she is a proud grandma and wants to show LO off, and even an hour a day with your FIL is better than nothing.  With that being said you have to be comfortable with the arrangements or you wont enjoy your trip.  I agree with others, voice your concerns and compromise.  Its hard leaving the little ones in someone elses care.  Nobody does it quite as good as mommy=)

BabyFruit Ticker fallfun
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"