3rd Trimester

Car Seat: Chicco KeyKIt 30 vs Nuna Pipa?!

So I was all set to put the Chicco KeyFit 30 o n my registry until a friend of mine suggested the Nuna Pipa.  My dilemma is this:  The Keyfit is Top 3 in all ratings sites (moms and car seat rating orgs including NHTSA) however the 2 drawbacks are the canopy to block rear facing baby from sun is a joke and the material in the seat is thick and tends to make the seat warm.  I am due July 4 so you can see how this would be a concern...then there is the Nuna that is a perfect car seat except due to its newness in the market has yet to be rated by the NHTSA but does boat EPS foam and reinforced side impact protection as well as a leg stand that locks in place with your cars floor...and a full coverage canopy to protect baby from sun.

I read that all car seats on the market have to be safety approved so I can assume that it is safe (Nuna) but it gives me pause that I cannot find any safety ratings for this product (so most likely going with the Chicco at this point).

Do any of you have any real like experience with this Nuna Pipa car seat and can give me real life feedback? 

I'd appreciate it as I'd like to finish my registry in the next 2 weeks, thanks! 

Re: Car Seat: Chicco KeyKIt 30 vs Nuna Pipa?!

• I had a July baby with a chicco and it was never a problem. Fwiw.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You havent had any issues with the seat padding getting too hot?  
  • Loading the player...
  • No. Babies will get a little hot if they're in a car seat for awhile, like sweaty, but not in a way that was ever a problem, and I'm pretty sure that would happen in any car seat. The car is air conditioned, after all.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just FYI, the ratings on the NHTSA site are for ease of use only, not safety. Car seat safety tests are pass/fail, there is no published information on how a particular seat does in testing.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • i loved my Chicco with my DD#1 and plan on getting another one with this baby:)  DD is 6 so the seat is expired so i looked at all my options and the Chicco is still my favorite!!!
  • Ohhhh thats so good to know!  Im sold on the Nuna and I think i'll get it now thank you!  I felt bad choosing style over a confirmed Safety rating but now I feel better...it has an adapter for the Uppa Baby Vista that I have and the full coverage canopy from the sun is a winner.  Awesome. 
  • Thanks All for your input it has been helpful! 
  • Nuna rules...no comparison in my opinion
  • We used the Chicco Keyfit 30 with DS, birn July 22, and will be using it for this baby as well. No problems with sweating or over-heating were ever notcied and my son runs very warm. As another said, cars are air conditioned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"